Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's a tip--you would LOVE those third world countries with no laws. You might have a little trouble with the lack of law enforcement, or the corruption in what government they have, and the lack of medical care, and roads, and schools, but HEY!! THEY'RE FREE! NO LAWS!!

Can we expect that you'll be buying a ticket and moving somewhere like that soon? In the meantime, the rest of us are happy with civilized society, and the laws that go with it.
There are no third world countries with NO laws. How could one lack enforcing something you say isn't there?

And the thing is, you aren't happy or we wouldn't be having this discussion. That people were not happy about the laws of our society is the reason for the discussion.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
If they didn't break the law, do you think we'd be discussing this right now? Do you think this would be in the "news"??
Yes, its govts fault.
It still would of made news, it still would of looked bad, and people still would of voted with their wallets. It was a bad business decision that bit them in the butt. This was their own fault, not the government.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So liberals should patronize a business that is blatantly disregarding the law, and being discriminatory. Maybe if more conservatives showed up the shop would still be open.
Liberals just need to MIND Their own damn business and keep their noses out of others business!!!! There isn't anything worse than a stinking liberal!!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Looks like the people have spoken with their wallets, I am sure the Cons on here will have respect for that. It was definitely a stupid business move on their part to try an cut out a large market.
huh?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It still would of made news, it still would of looked bad, and people still would of voted with their wallets. It was a bad business decision that bit them in the butt. This was their own fault, not the government.
what about that article says they "went out of business due to lack of business?" I am guessing they moved the business into their home, so they could more easily monitor their clientele, and not be subject to slavery. this is a good thing. there are plenty of butt pirate friendly bakeries out there, so homos can go there.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Uh.....this didn't happen in Seattle.

The bakery is/was in Gresham.......Oregon.
And the women live in Portland, Oregon, which always makes me wonder why there are no bakeries in Portland and they had to go to another town. This is almost certain to be a big financial payout to the women who filed the suit. A judgement just came down from BOLI on a similar case. $400,000 to the plaintiffs plus a $5,000 civil fine to the State.

Bureau of Labor and Industries orders North Portland bar owner to pay $400,000 to cross-dressers

It won't matter that this bakery had to shut down or even that they are trying to work out of their home - this family is going to have to declare bankruptcy before it's all over.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,434 times
Private biz should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they want for whatever reason they want.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's a tip--you would LOVE those third world countries with no laws. You might have a little trouble with the lack of law enforcement, or the corruption in what government they have, and the lack of medical care, and roads, and schools, but HEY!! THEY'RE FREE! NO LAWS!!

Can we expect that you'll be buying a ticket and moving somewhere like that soon? In the meantime, the rest of us are happy with civilized society, and the laws that go with it.

Nice deflection...

Now, how did you come to that extreme conclusion, from "all & every law is a restriction of freedom."
There is a law that makes you my personal slave. Now that's freedom!

The rules to the game we are playing, are clearly outlined in the US Constitution. Read it sometime and educate yourself.
Only We The People, can change the rules, with an amendment.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Private biz should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they want for whatever reason they want.
Absolutely.

A good many, many years ago, I owned a flower shop. Would I have done a wedding for gays? You betcha! I was all about making money. Would I fault another florist for turning down a gay wedding? Nope. It should be (and in my world, always WILL be) their call.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
There we go...liberals kill another business.
I'd really love to think so, but I'm afraid their closing is just the product of good old American stupidity born of prejudice. My only regret is that I wasn't there avoiding spending a nickel with them and contributing to their closure.

Personally, I'll try hard not to miss them, or any more like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies