Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,133 times

Advertisements

No offense, but I can't make any sense of that. Russia is a business partner, not a friend to Syria. They have to show their other business partners that they're be supportive of them provided that they keep the arms purchases coming. There's nothing to do with friendship there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM

545 posts, read 451,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
No offense, but I can't make any sense of that. Russia is a business partner, not a friend to Syria. They have to show their other business partners that they're be supportive of them provided that they keep the arms purchases coming. There's nothing to do with friendship there.
sorry but I deleted my entry after reading your post...can you explain how Russia has no interest in S....whats this inference word friends all about.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What Democrats? We don't like war, but Democrats actually finish and WIN wars unlike Republicans.

And I've said before, if Obama sends our military without support of both houses I'm through with him.

I do not support any war in Syria. That is a UN police action that should be carried out.
WWI, Wilson (D)

WWII, FDR (D) (US attacked)

Korea, Truman (D)

Viet Nam, Kennedy/JLB (D)

Grenada, Reagan (R)

Panama, Bush I (R)

Gulf War, Bush I (R)

Somalia, Clinton (D)

Kosovo, Clinton (D)

Iraq War, Bush II (R)

Afghan War, Bush II (R) (US attacked)

Libyan Civil War, Obama (D)

Syrian Civil War ?

Democrats start lots of wars too.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,133 times
Not what I said. Canada and United States? Friends. Halifax ships a tree to New York every year. Shared history and interests. Both countries have a love for each other. Easy border travel. Friends. Albeit one is the big strong guy who's a little too outspoken and one is the tough but small guy who's a little too polite. Those are friends.

Syria to Russia is a business partner. Arms are a big business in Russia. They can't compete with American military sales directly, so they have to pick people who aren't really tight with America. As part of that, they're expected to use their diplomatic clout and stand by them.

Study: Huge increase in Syria's weapons purchases in recent years – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

Mo, I get your point, but to be fair, lots of those are far from wars. No party has a monopoly on war though.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 AM

545 posts, read 451,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Not what I said. Canada and United States? Friends. Halifax ships a tree to New York every year. Shared history and interests. Both countries have a love for each other. Easy border travel. Friends. Albeit one is the big strong guy who's a little too outspoken and one is the tough but small guy who's a little too polite. Those are friends.

Syria to Russia is a business partner. Arms are a big business in Russia. They can't compete with American military sales directly, so they have to pick people who aren't really tight with America. As part of that, they're expected to use their diplomatic clout and stand by them.

Study: Huge increase in Syria's weapons purchases in recent years – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

Mo, I get your point, but to be fair, lots of those are far from wars. No party has a monopoly on war though.
well I donno...this thing is not as bad as it looks, but gotta say the intro today by the lady ( redhair in russia on behalf of the USA issue blew everything with her BS smokescreen answering to evidence right from the very first question. Could not believe it...she was asking everyone to villain Putin, the host ...woe, thats not anything to do with proper rep period. Tried to smokescreen the worlds question which we know have to do with peaceful ends....man was that bad.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
What Democrats? We don't like war, but Democrats actually finish and WIN wars unlike Republicans.
Let me add my vote on this comment. Absolutely mindless.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
3/4 of those in Congress who are "yes" or "lean yes" are Democrats: Proof that the Dems are OK with war as long as it's their guy in the White House. Opposition to Iraq was never about right or wrong, it was always about holding the view point opposite from Republicans.

Will Congress Authorize A Strike On Syria?
WOW, this is just like the "majority of the no votes on the 1964 civil rights bill were democrats thread"

Just like there, lets forget that the majority of Democrats are on the No side Thats according to your own link.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot Lincoln.

FDR and Woodrow Wilson presided over WWI and WWII. Thank God. We would all be speaking German if it would have been the GOP
WWI and WW2 were both unnecessary, and there is no realistic scenario in which we would now be "speaking German" . But the Republicans (as a rule) opposed II, not I. Theodore Roosevelt was so pro-war that Wilson managed to win the election of 1916 as the peace candidate by linking Charles E. Hughes to Roosevelt.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,894 times
Quote:
3/4 of those in Congress who are "yes" or "lean yes" are Democrats: Proof that the Dems are OK with war as long as it's their guy in the White House. Opposition to Iraq was never about right or wrong, it was always about holding the view point opposite from Republicans.

So on the flip side, Republicans are not okay with war as long as a Democrat "starts it?"

Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:

I would think that there will be many democrats that vote "no". The majority of those voting "yes" will probably be democrats, who will do so simply out of "loyalty" to Obama.

Given the public sentiment toward an attack on Syria, any congressman voting "yes" will have that vote used against them in the next elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies