Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Even Kos is concerned.

Daily Kos: Weekly Tracking Poll: New Feature Paints Ugly 2010 Picture

"The results were, to put it mildly, shocking:

Voter Intensity: Definitely + Probably Voting/Not Likely + Not Voting

Republican Voters: 81/14
Independent Voters: 65/23
DEMOCRATIC VOTERS: 56/40"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:30 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Hence the urgency behind passing their agenda. They know they only get one bite of the apple. The 2010 mid-terms are going to be a wipe out for them so this is their one chance.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Even Kos is concerned.

Daily Kos: Weekly Tracking Poll: New Feature Paints Ugly 2010 Picture

"The results were, to put it mildly, shocking:

Voter Intensity: Definitely + Probably Voting/Not Likely + Not Voting

Republican Voters: 81/14
Independent Voters: 65/23
DEMOCRATIC VOTERS: 56/40"
I'd bet this trend is very similar to what was observable in 1993 before the 1994 midterms. I expect there to be some erosion in democratic gains in 2008 in 2010. That seems to me to be par for the course. I think the determining factor will be how the Republican leadership decides to run or intervene in congressional campaigns. I would think they would learn from their recent mistake in upstate NY that running to the right won't work everywhere. But I won't hold my breath. I have never voted for a Republican in my life, but if I was one, I would be worried about on-the-ground strategies in 2010 in a variety of congressional districts. It seems to me that it will be very tricky to convince relatively libertarian neo-cons and authoritarian social conservatives that they belong in the same party. Paleo-conservatives are a dying breed--I can only think of one or two examples left in the public sphere. I don't know where those folks fit in the current Republican equation. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Hence the urgency behind passing their agenda. They know they only get one bite of the apple. The 2010 mid-terms are going to be a wipe out for them so this is their one chance.
Kind of a risky strategy. Even now they are only in danger of trimming their majority. But if they insist on Cap and Tax, Health care, cozying up to ACORN, bowing to foreign leaders etc. they could lose their majorities.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I'd bet this trend is very similar to what was observable in 1993 before the 1994 midterms. I expect there to be some erosion in democratic gains in 2008 in 2010. That seems to me to be par for the course. I think the determining factor will be how the Republican leadership decides to run or intervene in congressional campaigns. I would think they would learn from their recent mistake in upstate NY that running to the right won't work everywhere. But I won't hold my breath. I have never voted for a Republican in my life, but if I was one, I would be worried about on-the-ground strategies in 2010 in a variety of congressional districts. It seems to me that it will be very tricky to convince relatively libertarian neo-cons and authoritarian social conservatives that they belong in the same party. Paleo-conservatives are a dying breed--I can only think of one or two examples left in the public sphere. I don't know where those folks fit in the current Republican equation. It will be interesting to see what happens.
In the long run NY 23 will be helpful for the Republicans. I think the leadership got the message that the conservatives are the energized base. Democrat light doesn't excite many Republicans. I think you will see more conservative Republicans challenging blue dogs, and they will win.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM

689 posts, read 743,124 times
Acorn will make sure to get them to the polls and tell them who to vote for!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Kind of a risky strategy. Even now they are only in danger of trimming their majority. But if they insist on Cap and Tax, Health care, cozying up to ACORN, bowing to foreign leaders etc. they could lose their majorities.
They've bought in to the fantasy the 2008 election was a historical realignment. They're in for a surprise.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:

thats your speculation, may not be necessarily true, then what the republicans get the seat and ****S up then you back to your drawing board making this post again lol

Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Maybe we should hope they do pass a boondoggle HC bill - it might be a slaughter in 2010.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
what kind of democrats? liberal, conservative, MODERATE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies