Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

White folks, never. The few that can converse fluently in a foreign language think they should become The Secretary General of the UN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
oh quit complaining, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. If you dont want to learn spanish then dont. People that are bilingual will have more options while others that complain and stick to their xenophobic beliefs will not, which is fine by me. Oh btw, hiring more bilingual teachers means more jobs for americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Young kids have no problems picking up language an there is no need to make special provision for them like Spanish only classes. That is a completely different issue from teaching kids another language which might help them in their future working lives.

I would suggest, also, that the difference in academic attainment is more due to the culture at home, the expectations of their parents and the sort of encouragement they get to be academically successful.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
You quit being rude. I don't have to learn another language but probably my grandchildren will be forced to learn Spanish. Why should they be forced to learn Spanish to get by in an English speaking country ? I am not xenophobic, I just resent people sneaking into this country, breaking the law and demanding that I do something for them. I'm doing all I can for my grandchildren.

I have several Indian clients, Pakistani clients, Bangdelesh and Hispanic clients. Oh, I forgot my Vietnamese landlords that I rent my office space from. All good people that I respect and like and they came here legally. They don't demand that I provide them with food, education and housing. They usually only have 1-2 children, work hard, learn english. I am invited into their homes and participate in their food selections, religious events and family gatherings.

Nope, I am not xenophobic.

PS-I have traveled in Europe and SE Asia. i have relatives in France, England and an Italian SIL. My french speaking nieces and nephews get a kick out of me trying to speak French but, I try, for laughs.....
Take you're own advice. Equating Spanish with illegal immigration is insulting to all Latinos in this country, most of whom are American citizens. FTR, ma'am, Puerto Ricans are US citizens from birth, even when they're born in Puerto Rico and speak only Spanish.

Furthermore, your bleating about not being xenophobic and then giving us your little anecdotes as "proof" you're not xenophobic sound just like the bull manure spread around by racists and homophobes to "prove" they don't really hate blacks or gays, just the "bad" ones or the ones who insist on their rights. Your posts drip bigotry and xenophobia like a leaky pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Forced, shmorced...your poor oppressed grandchildren will be able to do what you say Hispanics do, i.e. - don't learn the other language, and get their language deficiency catered to. No problemo!

As for illegals, I have known, worked with and been friends with a countless number of Hispanics over a period of forty years. None of them were illegal. On the other hand, my Irish neighbors were illegals, and they regularly had other Irish illegals sleeping on their couch until they moved on.
Oh, noes!!!! That can't be true!!! Next you'll be saying that American school children will be forced to learn Gaelic!!!!

//sarcasm off

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
[quote=Linda_d;31334154]...Oh, noes!!!! That can't be true!!! Next you'll be saying that American school children will be forced to learn Gaelic!!!!

There's a Gaelic Society cabal in Queens plotting that very thing as I type....just wait

Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
100 years ago the vast majority of people in my state spoke Spanish almost exclusively. Today, a very small minority speak it as a second language, much less fluently.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
I don't have to learn another language but probably my grandchildren will be forced to learn Spanish. Why should they be forced to learn Spanish to get by in an English speaking country ? I am not xenophobic ...
Why is the country inherently English speaking? Florida used to be part of the Spanish Empire. The entire middle of the country used to be French. Texans were invited into Texas as long as they complied with the laws of Mexico. Certainly the entire Southwest was once part of Mexico. President Clinton publicly apologized to Hawaii for the government's part in taking over the kingdom.

The danger of being forced to learn Spanish "to get by" is nearly zero.

I was once told by a Mexican worker in a fast food place in Las Vegas that the employees were forbidden to talk to each other in Spanish. The customers would complain to management that they believed that the employees were talking about them in Spanish. I assume that they figured employees never complain about customers in English.

I mean Clark County is 30% Latino.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
I love hot spanish and asian girls who speak no english. The men however should be deported and leave the hotties behind. Me love you long time is enough english for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Why is the country inherently English speaking? Florida used to be part of the Spanish Empire. The entire middle of the country used to be French. Texans were invited into Texas as long as they complied with the laws of Mexico. Certainly the entire Southwest was once part of Mexico. President Clinton publicly apologized to Hawaii for the government's part in taking over the kingdom.

The danger of being forced to learn Spanish "to get by" is nearly zero.

I was once told by a Mexican worker in a fast food place in Las Vegas that the employees were forbidden to talk to each other in Spanish. The customers would complain to management that they believed that the employees were talking about them in Spanish. I assume that they figured employees never complain about customers in English.

I mean Clark County is 30% Latino.
A quick and dirty lesson in American history. The colonists (Mayflower) were from England. They're the ones who established most of the colonies. Their progeny also authored and signed the Declaration of Independence as well as, years later, the Constitution. Other territories were either purchased or taken by them. They spoke English and not only are those important documents written in that language but it's always been the language of our government(s).

Yes, Clinton and Obama are great apologists for this country. That does not make them great Americans or presidents.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Quote:
You quit being rude. I don't have to learn another language but probably my grandchildren will be forced to learn Spanish. Why should they be forced to learn Spanish to get by in an English speaking country ? I am not xenophobic, I just resent people sneaking into this country, breaking the law and demanding that I do something for them. I'm doing all I can for my grandchildren.

I have several Indian clients, Pakistani clients, Bangdelesh and Hispanic clients. Oh, I forgot my Vietnamese landlords that I rent my office space from. All good people that I respect and like and they came here legally. They don't demand that I provide them with food, education and housing. They usually only have 1-2 children, work hard, learn english. I am invited into their homes and participate in their food selections, religious events and family gatherings.

Nope, I am not xenophobic.

PS-I have traveled in Europe and SE Asia. i have relatives in France, England and an Italian SIL. My french speaking nieces and nephews get a kick out of me trying to speak French but, I try, for laughs.....
Why do you feel the need to make things up, like your grandkids having to speak Spanish? Unless you live in a Texas Border area or Miami, its not gonna happen. My mother was an immigrant and speaks perfect English, as do I obviously. Scapegoating people can make you feel good and boost your own self confidence but its wrong to malign decent people.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I don't see it being much different than the other foreign language speakers through out history shifting to English in time either.My wife is Cajun French and its almost disappeared over one generation altho her parents spoke both .Unless you actually live where it frequently spoken few now speak Cajun French really.In fact there is a movement to save the language by teaching it to preserve it.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
First you guess. Then you tell. You can't have it both ways.
Sure it was a guess because you did not clearly say it. I did write those things based on a guess, nothing wrong with that. Have you ever heard of "bounded rationality"?
Remember what you wrote about identity and those other things? Unless you meant something else, then clarify. I do not think it is out of the ballpark interpreting your words the way I did. Sure, it is possible others may have understood them differently.
However, if that is not what you meant, well, either you need to be more clear in what you write or I do not know how to read or both. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I applaud your family on being bilingual. I see that as a good thing. Having lived in three other countries I have nothing against reasonable diversity. Pardon me if I don't wish it to take over.
What exactly do you mean by "reasonable diversity"? That type of wording can give the perception I got in the previous message and goes along with the comment you wrote about identity and those other points.
What would be unreasonalbe diversity to you?

Again, go back when you wrote about identity and the water down comment. Does that not give the impression you do not like change? To me it did.

Who defines "reasonable diversity"? You? Take care.

Last edited by elamigo; 09-09-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies