Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It was Guam, and it won't happen. It's archived forever on YouTube...

Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA):

Rep. Johnson, Guam will Tip over and capsize because of Marine Corps - YouTube

Ya, that intelligent, wealthy, top college Democrat.
Oh, it was Guam.... That's how much weight I put into actually paying attention to that smart guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The GOP can't win without getting the angry lunatic and stupid crowd. I guess they need representation as well...

It's been that way since Goldwater.
Judging by the video I saw of a guy who went to the DNC convention last year and gathered signatures for a resolution to ban businesses from making profits, the Democrats have their own stupid crowd they pander to. I mean this wasn't just some "grab some random idiot off the street and make him look foolish" thing, this was people at the party's convention.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
The key word: NATURALIZATION

A statutorily naturalized citizen is not a natural born citizen.

More clarification:http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf

PLUS, the NATURALIZATION act of 1795 rescinded the status of natural born citizen to those born abroad.
The thing is the President is not a Naturalized citizen he was born on US soil called the State of Hawaii, so talking about natulization is pointless since it is not applicable to the the so-called issue.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
7 figures in assets, nice 6 figure job, education from top flight universities, and top political appointments in the country are an incredibly low bar for success?

What is your idea of success?
Have you acheived it, or come close?
I don't consider "political appointments" to be part of any definition of success. Assets and salary are nice. Education from a top flight university -- while it confers some measure of status -- is also not necessary.

So.....since you asked.....my idea of success. It's different now than when I was a teenager, that's for sure. I believe my idea of success is a life well-lived, where you are gracious in defeat and not gloating in victory. I like to keep my highs not too high, and my lows not too low. As my father said to me (often) as a teenager, "Be kind to your fellow man, and you'll find that brings you more happiness and success than material possessions." That kind of "do the right thing" is what I always ingrained in my own kids.

And honestly, for the most part, he was correct. I've been very fortunate in life financially, and have both a 7-figure asset base as well as a 6-figure job managing that asset base. But while both are nice, I am not sure I'm successful because of either. Success to me comes in a lot of different forms, including taking an active role in my kids' lives, doing volunteer work in my community, and giving back and paying forward in lots of different ways.

It's tough to say whether I've achieved success. I FEEL successful, and if you look at the financial numbers, I seem to be successful. But I haven't necessarily checked that box next to "successful" yet, because I think it's an ongoing pursuit.

The reason I'm so tough on politicians -- of ALL parties -- is that they so rarely do the right thing. We've lost that in this country in the last 30 years or so that I've been paying attention to politics.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I guess I'm not as delusional as once thought, when you place reason firmly in her chair.

The Bill of Rights, the cornerstone to the entire Constitution, has been changed so much and not one amendment was used to do it.
It was eroded by small increments of degree. Obama's illegitimate presidency being just one step in the erosion process.

Even more erosion occurred co-existentially:

Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages | World news

Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM

26,578 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
What a disgrace he is to his constituents.
it would appear that enough of his constituents are birthers for him to dodge giving a direct answer.

altho some of the birthers are already turning on him for not wholeheartedly supporting birtherism in the interview.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The thing is the President is not a Naturalized citizen he was born on US soil
Obama may possibly have been a statutory 14th Amendment citizen, if that. There are legitimate doubts as to exactly what extent he was subject to U.S. jurisdiction as required by the 14th Amendment.

Obama's own campaign AND the DNC insist Obama was born SUBJECT TO THE BRITISH NATIONALITY ACT OF 1948:

That precludes one from being subject to U.S. jurisdiction in the matter of nationality law.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, the Constitution is only convenient, when it sits on your side of the argument?
Why would I expect any different.

It was the understanding of the principles of law which became established in the Constitution of 1787.
Thank goodness the past century happened, and we realized that women are people, too, and can own property, and can work, and can vote, and are just as important as men.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Obama may possibly have been a statutory 14th Amendment citizen, if that. There are legitimate doubts as to exactly what extent he was subject to U.S. jurisdiction as required by the 14th Amendment.

Obama's own campaign AND the DNC insist Obama was born SUBJECT TO THE BRITISH NATIONALITY ACT OF 1948:

That precludes one from being subject to U.S. jurisdiction in the matter of nationality law.
Sorry but there is no debate and what you have brought up again has been discounted many times. Let's do a lesson in logic; if there were any basis to the Birther allegations then why hasn't the GOP gone after him over in in the last 5 years? You know the answer is because there is nothing to the accusations, make excuses and hem and haw about it but we both know the Birther movement is made up of people that simply cannot give up their theories, even when proven false time and time again.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
I saw this interview live. What a disgrace he is to his constituents.
The district he represents is inhabited by MOSTLY rural, small town extreme right-wingers.....the only exception in that district is a small part of Alachua Country, which is where the University of Florida is located.

I don't think it's possible to "disgrace"..."his constituents" unfortunately. Lots of ignorant Tea Partiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies