Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM

89,322 posts, read 45,051,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I never said that the 14th Amendment didn't happen, or that Trumbull's remarks about the citizenship of American Indians, recorded in the Congressional Record, didn't happen.
Good, then we're getting somewhere.

Just read the 14th Amendment and how Trumbull himself defines its "subject to the jurisdiction" requirement.

"Not owing allegiance to anybody else. That is what it means."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
In context yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Anybody else"

Old 09-10-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because you conveniently ignore that Trumbull's remarks were addressing concerns about American Indians and their citizenship, and were not addressing concerns about children of immigrants.
Quote:
"Anybody else"

Not just "Indian Nations."

Trumbull and the Judiciary Committee when drafting, presenting, and ultimately guiding the ratification of the 14th Amendment specifically chose to exclude those "owing allegiance to anybody else."

Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Maskell's report is still being cited by members of the US Congress as authoritative enough to go tell birthers to pound sand.
How many of them know Maskell lied?

How many of them know Maskell was caught lying?

How many of them know Maskell had to lie to make his point because SCOTUS didn't say what he thinks they should have?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How would that be relevant to your misrepresentation?
I didn't misrepresent. You did. I very clearly stated that the page referred to another one with info for those born abroad both before and after the 1981 Act. As such, it applies.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,108,286 times
Quote:
"Anybody else"
He was speaking explicitly and exclusively about the Indians.

Nobody else.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
How many of them know Maskell lied?
Most of them know Maskell personally and would probably throw you out of their offices for calling him a liar.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I didn't misrepresent.
Of course you did, IC. If you didn't misrepresent essentially everything, you would have nothing to write about.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,412,179 times
Quote:
Idiocracy: a form of government in which a country or territory is run by fools
Merriam-Webster's Word Central

Let me guess... you think Congress is doing a fine job, and you fully support Obama's plan to go to war in Syria.
Neither of those things you brought up have anything to do with the topic at hand. You really are spinning your wheels in the mud at this point, and it's completely hilarious. You get that everyone is laughing at you, right?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM

8,444 posts, read 7,460,075 times
The facts are these, Informed Consent:

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
It says what it says. Nothing more.

If there was more to birth citizenship, don't you think that our birth certificates would mention the nationalities of our parents? Mine doesn't. Barack Obama's doesn't. Post an image of your certificate of live birth, I'll wager that there's nothing there to indicate the nationality of your parents.

If there were more to birth citizenship, how do you explain that pregnant women risk a dangerous border crossing to give birth in the United States?

If there were more to birth citizenship, how do you explain the phenomenon of birth tourism in this country?

If there were more to birth citizenship, why didn't my father have had his application for a passport denied when he indicated that he was the child of a non-citizen?

The problem is that your beliefs are directly in contradiction to my life experience, to my father's life experience, and to the actual events of the day. So your beliefs aren't...believable.

The only people who would believe you are those who belong to the Cult of Birtherism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies