Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed?
Yes 24 32.88%
No 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Poland was on board!

Why do you think our staunch ally Britain balked at this Syria strike? Dumbya's lies from 10 years ago. As the Idiot-in-Chief once said "heh-heh, fool me once shame on me. fool me twice (pauses to mis-remember) heh-heh, won't get fooled again."
one positive that we can take from w's reign is that he taught us a lesson on how useless and costly these types of wars are. i hope the lesson stays with us for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,081,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one positive that we can take from w's reign is that he taught us a lesson on how useless and costly these types of wars are. i hope the lesson stays with us for a long time.
You got that right. Sending men & women off to war should be a well-thought out decision and basically a last resort for a situation that threatens us or our close allies. Iraq fit none of those & neither does Syria. We sent soldiers back 3 & 4 times to war zones. To me that's a disgraceful misuse of our military.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You got that right. Sending men & women off to war should be a well-thought out decision and basically a last resort for a situation that threatens us or our close allies. Iraq fit none of those & neither does Syria. We sent soldiers back 3 & 4 times to war zones. To me that's a disgraceful misuse of our military.
im sorry but you cant take that position. that is my position and so you need to take the opposite position.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,726,673 times
Quote:
shooting back hasnt been proven ineffective. its been proven to not be 100% effective. you cant really say that shooting back is ineffective but retreating (or hiding) and waiting is effective. most people killed in mass shootings are doing the latter.
It hasn't been proven to be anything actually...

Can armed citizens stop mass shootings? Examples of armed interventions. - Slate Magazine

There have been a few instances where armed civilians chased down a fleeing shooter, but pretty much all of the known incidents where someone interdicted the shooter involved off-duty law enforcement. The jury is still out, but the weight of evidence seems to be on the side of it not being effective and may complicate/exacerbate a situation.

Quote:
you eliminate their weapon of choice and they will then choose the next best thing to kill as many people as they can.
Of course they will. Guns are tools though and we are talking about eliminating the best tool for the job. We're talking about taking away the pneumatic nail gun with a 100 nail clip in it and only giving them access to a regular hammer. Sure, they can still nail things, but they're going to be a lot less effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The rifles were not held in the arsenal. Additional powder stores, ammunition, food, and artillery were held in the arsenal.
I covered this earlier, but just for reference there were indeed firearms held in the arsenals, especially post-Revolution. In the few instances the militia was called out in the early days of the US, the majority of those reporting needed to be completely armed and supplied from the Federal arsenals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash#1 View Post
Columbine's armed deputy had left school for lunch and was not on the grounds when the shooting started. The deputy returned and was stuck out side where he was useless. Columbine is a poor example to use when not all the facts are present. Basically Columbine didn't have a deputy at the critical time!
The deputy was eating lunch, but he was still on campus. The Columbine campus included several buildings and athletic fields. You can read through the transcript of the shooting on the wiki page and see the response. When the shooting started in the cafeteria the on-campus deputy responded. He encountered Harris outside of the school and engaged him. Harris fired at the deputy who then returned fire. Within five minutes of the attack starting and 2 minutes after the first alert, there was a deputy engaged in a fire fight with the shooters. At this point there were only 2 dead and 10 wounded. That first deputy was joined a minute later by a second and together they engaged the shooters, but were unable to stop them. The shooters retreated back into the school and entered the library where 11 students were killed and another 11 wounded while police swarmed outside. There were two armed and trained police officers who engaged the shooters before the event became a "massacre". They were unable to stop them.

Columbine High School massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Quote:
The guy going out to lunch with no backup is also useless, don't you think?
Well, as I pointed out above, he was still on campus. The school was a rather large campus that included several buildings and athletic fields. The deputy had driven out to eat his lunch at one of the athletic fields where kids often gathered to eat and had been causing trouble. School resource officers are great, but they can't be everywhere at once.

Quote:
im sorry but you cant take that position. that is my position and so you need to take the opposite position.
ROFL

Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
Quote:
this is about the only time the captain has made me laugh.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM

361 posts, read 386,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
When l lived in New Jersey just about every Sunday for 35 years I attended a "turkey shoot" at multiple locations throughout south Jersey....no actual animals are hurt.....paper targets only. I used several Remington 870s with 30" RemChoke barrels that were back bored, fitted with match chambers and a selection of screw in chokes either custom made or factory chokes custom altered all to deliver the tightest pattern possible. All the modifications help to be sure but are worthless if you can't hit a 3" bullseye at ninety feet in the off hand position.....no support of any kind. The winner of each round received a meat prize from a frozen turkey to hams, pork loins, beef roasts, steaks, prime ribs, shrimp etc. Eventually over the years because I won the majority of shoots of the day no one wanted to shoot against me and I was banned from many of the turkey shoots throughout south Jersey. There were rules to be sure and all guns were checked for compliance as were mine its just that I was a more consistent shooter than most.
Regarding banning shotguns......shotguns are recognized as hunting weapons and their primary purpose is hunting animals.....not people.
Hi,

Thanks for answering my definitely OT question. While I know turkey shoots exist I've never been to one. Don't want to think to much about them........have too many hobbies at the moment

Thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,888 times
I've created a monster....

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM

478 posts, read 701,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Hi,

Thanks for answering my definitely OT question. While I know turkey shoots exist I've never been to one. Don't want to think to much about them........have too many hobbies at the moment

Thanks
No problem. Again....just to be perfectly clear competition is with paper targets only.....NO animals, turkeys or otherwise, are involved. Each round generally involves 20 shooters so in order to win you have to beat 19 other guys....not an easy task. Generally in a typical day of competition I would win anywhere from 25 - 50% of the rounds l entered which pissed off a lot of the other shooters......eventually one of the only places I was welcome to shoot was the Amvets year round shoot in Jackson on 571. For any doubters ask those who run the shoot about "Mike" or the "Cat in the hat" (I wore a unique hat when in competition) who moved to Florida.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:12 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,081,516 times
Quote:
I will. Just say something gunnutty like "we should arm obstetricians in case a baby pops out of a vagina ready to kick ass with an AR-15"

Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I will. Just say something gunnutty like "we should arm obstetricians in case a baby pops out of a vagina ready to kick ass with an AR-15"
that would be the awesomest baby ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies