Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed?
Yes 24 32.88%
No 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,392,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
We're not talking gun prohibition......we're talking some common sense gun control. There's absolutely no reason the average citizen needs a military assault style weapon.

How many times must one show the following in order for people such as yourself to admit that black plastic and metal do not equate to the term assault?

UNDERSTAND??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM

478 posts, read 701,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
How many times must one show the following in order for people such as yourself to admit that black plastic and metal do not equate to the term assault? UNDERSTAND??????????
Actually I probably understand more than most....I have a number of Remington 870 competition 12 gauge shotguns that I am more than proficient with. I think I made my statements more than clear of what's considered a military style "assault weapon" designed for the battlefield. Your the only one who seems to be confused and need to post pictures ?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,090,472 times
That school secretary in Georgia must've had a huge gun to scare off that nut who wanted to shoot up the school...oh, wait... she talked him into surrendering.

BIG WIN SANITY!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,997,577 times
Quote:
If you think the gun control issue only applies to New Jersey your sadly misinformed.
Thanks for your concern about the STATE laws of a state that you have no interest in. I assume I will find you posting on gun laws in every state forum to follow your logic...?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Thanks for your concern about the STATE laws of a state that you have no interest in. I assume I will find you posting on gun laws in every state forum to follow your logic...?
Sure.....if you keep posting nice pictures so we don't forget the difference between assault weapons and non assault weapons ?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Only if by "gun control" they mean being able to hit what you aim at.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
That school secretary in Georgia must've had a huge gun to scare off that nut who wanted to shoot up the school...oh, wait... she talked him into surrendering.

BIG WIN SANITY!
Sanity only works when people have an open mind.....when your debating a gun nut on here sanity goes out the window and the only solution for gun issues......is more guns with the largest ammo magazine available.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,392,194 times
Quote:
Actually I probably understand more than most....I have a number of Remington 870 competition 12 gauge shotguns that I am more than proficient with. I think I made my statements more than clear of what's considered a military style "assault weapon" designed for the battlefield. Your the only one who seems to be confused and need to post pictures ?

I'm extremely pleased you felt adequately confronted to respond to my logical rebuttal to your asinine comment concerning the incorrect usage of two words commonly used in feeble commentary concerning gun grabbing. Those two words of course being "" assault weapon"" .

You being a gun owner should give you the added responsibility to correctly label firearms for what they are, not to interject politically charged and incorrect definitions of such.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm extremely pleased you felt adequately confronted to respond to my logical rebuttal to your asinine comment concerning the incorrect usage of two words commonly used in feeble commentary concerning gun grabbing. Those two words of course being "" assault weapon"" .

You being a gun owner should give you the added responsibility to correctly label firearms for what they are, not to interject politically charged and incorrect definitions of such.
Good.....it makes my day much brighter knowing that your pleased, however, in case you hadn't noticed before you lost your composure over wording this thread is a politically charged thread on gun control legislation in New Jersey. The words "assault weapon" were applied because they represent the weapon of choice of most deranged shooters who feel the need to slaughter innocent people and children for unknown reasons. Thank you for posting pictures helping to define assault weapons but the reality is that with or without pictures the majority of the public has a pretty good definition in mind when they picture what an assault weapon looks like and is capable of. Of the 20 six year olds slaughtered in Newtown all of them had at least 3 bullets in them.....some as many as 11......you may wish to quibble over pictures and terminology but in my opinion any weapon capable of causing that type of devastation in a very short period of time could easily be labeled as an assault weapon.
Finally....regarding my increased responsibility as a gun owner l also have an increased responsibility to correctly identify guns that have practicality for my own needs and apply common sense for the practically, common sense and safety of certain weapons in the hands of the public. Unfortunately, the American society as a whole when compared to other nations have continually demonstrated they reject common sense and the ability to control themselves when given unchecked freedom of choice with guns. The Second Amendment calls for the freedom of gun ownership to be "well regulated" and our continual failure to demonstrate to show we can control ourselves indicates we need some form of regulation. Any gun for any person as a rule is just plain insanity no matter how many informative gun pictures you are kind enough to post.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,763,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed? I did this poll in FL, but I thought it would be interesting to do one here.
I voted "yes" under the assumption that we are talking about NJ's current gun laws. I do feel that some of the proposed and recently vetoed legislation was unnecessary and more about making a statement than any actual realistic legislation.

I've posted many times on gun control threads and I am unabashedly in favor of sensible gun control. I do not support "bans" in general, but there are many things the gun lobby is opposed to that I support such as registries, universal background checks and magazine capacity limits.

When we talk about gun control most people focus on one of two topics:

1. Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

or

2. Preventing mass shootings.

In general, I tend to focus more on the first point, keeping guns out of criminals hands. I don't want to ignore the second point, but it is unfortunately something that is very difficult to prevent. The second point is something that may be helped by imposing magazine capacity limits, but ultimately crazy people will find a way to follow through with their act. Whether they use an AR-15 derivative with a high capacity magazine or they use a simple pump action hunting shotgun with a three round capacity. At best we can simply hope to limit the amount of carnage caused, not entirely prevent it.

Also, when it comes to "assault weapons", again, I tend to focus more on issues related to magazine capacity. I don't see why anyone needs a 30-round rapid change banana clip. The actual firing performance of the weapon is no greater than many common hunting rifles, so we are basically talking about aesthetics and capacity. Aesthetics don't matter, but capacity certainly does. I have never heard anyone who is "pro gun" put forward a valid reason (and no, resisting tyranny doesn't count) why anyone would need a 15 or 30 round magazine, let alone a 100. I don't know what a "good" number is, but it's obviously more than one and less than 30.

Overall, I am more concerned with crime guns getting onto the streets and unfortunately this is something that NJ has little control over. Our gun laws are good at preventing "NJ guns" (meaning purchased and owned by people in NJ) from becoming 'crime guns'. However, what we are virtually unable to prevent are black market guns from entering our state. I've posted the statistic a dozen times, approximately 80%-85% of guns used in crimes in NJ originate from outside of NJ. In general gun shows in PA, WV and the Carolinas are the primary suppliers for guns used to commit crimes in NJ. As long as someone can walk into a gun show and purchase as many guns as they would like from a non-dealer in order to circumvent the background check system and there is no registery to record the sale of that gun and who is responsible for it; then there is virtually nothing NJ can do with our laws to further decrease gun violence.

Among the leftover out of that percentage of where crime guns come from, the next biggest chunk of around 13% are guns stolen from within NJ. This further reinforces the necessity of proper owner firearm training so that guns are properly secured. This would also go a long way to reducing accidents involving children. The remaining percentage of around 3% or so are legally owned NJ guns that get used in the commission of a crime; either by their registered owner or someone they know. For example, 18 year old takes dads gun and robs the gas station kinds of things.

So, there's my stance and why I think NJ's laws are fine as is. I don't necessarily want to see them weakened or strengthened. There are aspects that are burdensome to legal gun owners that could be streamlined such as the pistol purchasing limits, but I would want to see a stronger registery system in place in exchange for easing the process for purchases. I am against CCW or open carry being allowed in NJ except for those for whom such a permit is absolutely necessary in their line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies