Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times

Advertisements

It is all about whether the culture promotes personal responsibility for yourself or community responsibility to take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,777,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is all about whether the culture promotes personal responsibility for yourself or community responsibility to take care of you.
Unless I misunderstood your post, it makes no sense. The community, or social system if you will, is stronger in the north, which according to your logic would make people in the south more personally responsible. Maybe they even are, but it does not show in economic terms.

I guess the strong Euro is another problem, that has been keeping the south down. But the north does not like to hear that as it would imply changing a monetary system that works well for the north.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The first half of your name is truly a serendipitous choice.

Your argument is truly beyond absurd.

The difference is culture, and that difference is the value of and belief in WORK as the means to prosper.
You don't think Catholicism has its own culture ?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Those Asians certainly have a hellacious work ethic. Who'd uh thunk they were Protestants.
Either

(A) Elementary logic seems to escape you

or

(B) You think Asia is in Europe.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
I think it's not about religion, not at all. And catholics are very prosperous too, maybe it depends on the country, but catholics are much wealthier than protestants here.
Your location says you live in Brazil

And yet the question is about Europe ...

But if you want to ignore the geographic component of the topic, we can do that. Look at large new world catholic countries (Brazil, Mexico), and compare their productivity and wealth to large new world protestant countries. (USA and Canada)

PPP per capita
United States - $49,922
Canada - $42,734
Mexico - $15,312
Brazil - $11,875

Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Look at large new world catholic countries (Brazil, Mexico), and compare their productivity and wealth to large new world protestant countries. (USA and Canada)

PPP per capita
United States - $49,922
Canada - $42,734
Mexico - $15,312
Brazil - $11,875
This game can be played endlessly... Compare Catholic Austria and Protestant Estonia. Compare Catholic Luxembourg to basically every other country in the world.

As someone mentioned before: There are so many exceptions that there is no rule left.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
I think it's not about religion, not at all. And catholics are very prosperous too, maybe it depends on the country, but catholics are much wealthier than protestants here. It's more about culture, politics, i'm not sure...
Protestanism in Brazil is a recent phenomonen and frankly not germane to the topic of this thread. Also my understanding is that the rise in Protestanism in Brazil is due to Pentacostal sects which are not mainline.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
This game can be played endlessly... Compare Catholic Austria and Protestant Estonia. Compare Catholic Luxembourg to basically every other country in the world.

As someone mentioned before: There are so many exceptions that there is no rule left.
Well you are not comparing like to like. Slavic countries are poorer than Germanic countries. A better comparison would be to compare Austria to say the UK or the Netherlands and not just focus on a narrow period of time. Austria which was the center of a vast empire that dwarfed in size the UK never matched the UK in per capita wealth, influence or power. Austria is a nice little country now but it was comparitivy backwards compared to the UK.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
This game can be played endlessly... Compare Catholic Austria and Protestant Estonia.
LOL why would you bother? it's Estonia. they aren't "protestant" in the first place, 71% of people claim to have no religion. Among their religious, there are as many people who claim eastern orthodox as protestant.

Quote:
Compare Catholic Luxembourg to basically every other country in the world.
If a country as small as Luxembourg is your counterpoint, then I consider myself to have won the argument.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well you are not comparing like to like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
LOL why would you bother?

If a country as small as Luxembourg is your counterpoint, then I consider myself to have won the argument.
Well, le roi just compared Mexico to the United States. That's probably as ridiculous as my glorious comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies