Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
No. And to think in this linear fashion is limiting. They are intertwined. That is why I said govt elite et al.

The govt is largest shareholder of publicly traded corps through its investment funds. They use proxy votes to direct publicly traded corps. This isn't about politicians owning some shares.

It is important to understand the pieces, however. Govt aka municipal corps are a fictional construct just like a transnational corp. Ultimately there are real individuals behind the fiction. However, it is the transnationals that are shareholder controlled through the municipal corps.

Politicians are just theater. They are corporate employees. This is business.
The last argument agrees with what I said, and defeats your first argument. You are losing focus.

Can you show some links proving the government owns more shares than private investors?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,144,119 times
It protected the value of the dollar, so helped those that did have money, but things weren't balanced out with the Middle and Lower Economic groups. Inflation increased and decreased the spending power of an already stagnant wage scale for those groups.

So basically, things got worse for the Middle and Lower Class, the Upper class was barely affected, and many in the top class made their money right back. Some through bonuses from who else? The taxpayer.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,942,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The last argument agrees with what I said, and defeats your first argument. You are losing focus.

Can you show some links proving the government owns more shares than private investors?
There is no argument. You chose to frame it the way you did. I am quite clear in my statements. I was saying your framing of the so-called 2 sides is not precise. Municipal corps (govt) are controlling shareholder of transnational corps (publicly traded).

Yes. CAFRs are public information. You can take the time and do the math. Public and private are terms that seem to confuse people. The govt is the largest shareholder of publicly traded corps. You can do this with corp after corp. JPM and GS are 2 such companies. They are part of an elite group that controls 80% of global wealth.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post29730778

Last edited by CDusr; 09-18-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM

89,157 posts, read 44,953,235 times
WHY Obama allowed bailouts without indictments...
Quote:
The administration made a bargain, and I’m not sure it was the right decision. The world was teetering on the edge of collapse. There was a crisis of confidence. There would have been unimaginable consequences...

It was the lesser of two evils to let a lot of people get away scot free than to risk a collapse in confidence...

It was better to let a lot of people get away scot free than to have the first African American president take on the establishment while the country was deeply divided and he needed agreement on big things like ending wars, health care, Supreme Court nominees (and LGBT rights). There were lots of battles without taking on the financial establishment.
Why POTUS Allowed Bailouts Without Indictments | Tavakoli Structured Finance, Inc.
by the author of The New Robber Barons.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bailouts close to turning a profit - Sep. 15, 2013

Five years later, taxpayers still haven't broken even on the $698.2 billion in government bailouts issued during the financial crisis.

But we're getting close. The bailouts, which include money disbursed through TARP as well as other funds used to shore up Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and AIG, may even show a profit by the time the sixth anniversary arrives.

So far, Treasury and the Federal Reserve have recouped $670 billion of those funds. That's far more than could have been imagined in the dark days of 2008.
My question is, how much of the payback went directly to pay back the loan from China, we are still in debt big time.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Save the economy? If you believe the economy has been saved you need some better news sources.

NO business should ever be bailed out by the government!! If you have a poor business plan and fail someone will come along and take your place, possibly being able to run a profitable business.

I have failed in business in the past and learned from my mistakes. I started over and have been successful for over 15 years. That is how True Capitalism works. But this country has not seen that in over 100 years.
I agree, failing corporations should have gone bankrupt and reorganized or dissolved. The bailout allowed failing companies to survive without stipulations. Throwing good money after bad, is always a bad practice and if these companies fail, the taxpayer is out a lot of money instead of the creditors.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,972,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
My question is, how much of the payback went directly to pay back the loan from China, we are still in debt big time.
China owns about $1.5 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury. While it is a common misconception that U.S. debt is mostly owed to China, most is owned by individual investors, corporations, state and local governments.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
And even worse, wouldnt this payback, mean Obamas deficits were actually $700B higher than they release because if it was paid back, and they still had trillion dollar deficits, thats pretty dam sad..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,972,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr
Save the economy? If you believe the economy has been saved you need some better news sources.

NO business should ever be bailed out by the government!! If you have a poor business plan and fail someone will come along and take your place, possibly being able to run a profitable business.

I have failed in business in the past and learned from my mistakes. I started over and have been successful for over 15 years. That is how True Capitalism works. But this country has not seen that in over 100 years.
The ideological head in the sand viewpoint is breathtaking. "We shouldn't bailout anyone, even if the consequences are devastating!"

There are times when saving private institutions is indeed not only appropriate but advisable. Many believe that China is a successful model. What does China do? It supports its industries with public money.

The Chrysler bailout of 1981 was hugely successful, not only preserving the American firm, lots of jobs but it preserved an industrial cluster of suppliers.

A key argument for the bailout was that if the major US firms were allowed to go bankrupt, a whole industrial ecology would be lost with them, that would have brought down Ford and others. And the auto bailout has been a huge success, not least because it did preserve that ecology.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
China's portion of our debt is about 7%, down from about 11%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies