Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I disagree, I think he's right on the money.

[weak anecdote redacted]

I don't know where this is heading but I would venture to say it's heading towards a female dominated society and maybe that's a good thing.
that's what most feminists say, but just look at the women who are trying to be CEO / mom, look at how much they complain about male choices.

do you not see the irony there, that the female demographic that is supposedly "taking over" is the same demographic that complains the loudest about the "lack of men" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's what most feminists say, but just look at the women who are trying to be CEO / mom, look at how much they complain about male choices.

do you not see the irony there, that the female demographic that is supposedly "taking over" is the same demographic that complains the loudest about the "lack of men" ?
I think they mean the lack of REAL men. Men who know how to treat a woman, make her feel like she's loved and taken care of. Not these texting zombies who treat them as equals to a fault.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
I think they mean the lack of REAL men. Men who know how to treat a woman, make her feel like she's loved and taken care of.
So do these "REAL" men not exist?

Or do these men exist, but just don't date high-earning, high-stress, ball-busting women?

Has it occured to anyone out there that men and women perhaps measure success in different ways, or find satisfaction in different things?

Quote:
Not these texting zombies who treat them as equals to a fault.
you actually think men text more frequently than women?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
I think they mean the lack of REAL men. Men who know how to treat a woman, make her feel like she's loved and taken care of. Not these texting zombies who treat them as equals to a fault.
What does this look like, this treating someone as an equal to a fault?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
I've noticed this about the younger generation (under 30). The young women seem to be more ambitious and goal driven.

Video games, fantasy football among other distractions IMO are derailing men early in their life from where they should be trying to get to.

My daughter and her husband I think are great examples. They both have the same degree, they are the same age (28) but she has passed him up careerwise.

She doesn't play video games, doesn't care about sports. She spends more time networking and I think human relationships are much more important to her. He's a great guy but spends a lot of time playing games and other nonsense.

Can Video games and fantasy sports be speeding up a possible future of female leadership?
The feminization of boys has been going on for some time. Have you heard of Ritalin?

Your assessment is the result.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:17 PM

257 posts, read 713,705 times
Default Video games, fantasy football and helicopter parents robbing men of their mat...

So, I'm close to the demographic being discussed here (long-time video game player, no fantasy football), mid-30s, male. Over the weekend, I participated in a large-scale tournament for multiple games, probably close to a thousand people in attendance. Not an online thing, I mean physically in a very big hotel ballroom. Mostly male, some female, from all over the US, and even a handful from outside the US. From 14 - nearly 40 years old. Brace yourself, but some of these hardcore gamers are even responsible mothers and fathers, or in committed relationships with very good jobs. One guy I talked to from Georgia is actually going to Australia for two years, to help establish his company's first office down there!

And you know what I spent the majority of my time doing? Catching up with old friends and making a few new ones. I spent a decent amount of time playing in the tournaments as well, of course.

The point of all this? There are way more gamers nowadays that blow the antiquated stereotype of the lonely, loser geek in the basement straight out of the water (though there are still many immature gamers, of course). And if you approach them without automatically looking down on them, you might just find a better, more sociable person than you thought.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
So do these "REAL" men not exist?

Or do these men exist, but just don't date high-earning, high-stress, ball-busting women?
High-earning, high-stress, ball-busting women also often have one other common attribute, that being high maintenance. I love myself a little too much to be in any relationship with someone that's high maintenance, been there done that, have the T-Shirt, scars (both physical and mental) and divorce papers to prove it.

Quote:
Has it occured to anyone out there that men and women perhaps measure success in different ways, or find satisfaction in different things?
I don't think it's just women and men who measure success in different ways, I think it's people in general, and the measures of success are mutable. What I gauged success as at 20 wasn't what I gauged success at at 30, and it was different again at 40.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,886 times
I am pretty proud of my accomplishments...I am a smart, hard-working CPA who does pretty well. However, I would be just as happy chilling out. I came to this realization pretty recently, too (I am 34). What am I busting my butt for? I have an SO but we don't have kids. Having achieved a (small) little bit of success, I think it's traditional American attitudes that are somewhat backwards: that men (and women) have to be super-achievers, and have to earn, earn, earn (and consequently buy, buy, buy). I am just as happy watching Netflix or going for a walk or playing a video game. We have a very finite lifespan and you may as well have fun while you can...

In short...I don't see it as a problem...I see it as a realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies