Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this about the younger generation (under 30). The young women seem to be more ambitious and goal driven.

Video games, fantasy football among other distractions IMO are derailing men early in their life from where they should be trying to get to.

My daughter and her husband I think are great examples. They both have the same degree, they are the same age (28) but she has passed him up careerwise.

She doesn't play video games, doesn't care about sports. She spends more time networking and I think human relationships are much more important to her. He's a great guy but spends a lot of time playing games and other nonsense.

Can Video games and fantasy sports be speeding up a possible future of female leadership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I've noticed this about the younger generation (under 30). The young women seem to be more ambitious and goal driven.

Video games, fantasy football among other distractions IMO are derailing men early in their life from where they should be trying to get to.

My daughter and her husband I think are great examples. They both have the same degree, they are the same age (28) but she has passed him up careerwise.

She doesn't play video games, doesn't care about sports. She spends more time networking and I think human relationships are much more important to her. He's a great guy but spends a lot of time playing games and other nonsense.

Can Video games and fantasy sports be speeding up a possible future of female leadership?
As long as we are generalizing with broad stereotypes, is makeup, cosmo and dreaming about weddings holding women back?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:

You aren't very open minded about how people spend their free time.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:

And where, exactly, should this younger generation of men be trying to get?

Quote:

It's been shown that whenever women enter a male-dominated field, the men drop out. Men clearly see no point in competing with women, and that's not just my opinion, that's an observable trend in social science.

It raises the question: why do men compete at all? what in the hell are men competing for, exactly?

And, in my opinion , the answer is obvious: men try to impress women. As women's earnings rise, "impressing women with your job" becomes far more trouble than it's worth.

Men are switching mating strategies, they are hitting the gym, working on how they look, because women no longer demand that we "bring home the bacon." If women will sleep with you because they like how you look, then what's the point of working hard?

Last edited by le roi; 09-19-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 PM

419 posts, read 365,525 times
Why you hate video games and fantasy football?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
And where, exactly, should this younger generation of men be trying to get?

It's been shown that whenever women enter a male-dominated field, the men drop out. Men clearly see no point in competing with women, and that's not just my opinion, that's an observable trend in social science.

It raises the question: why do men compete at all? what in the hell are men competing for, exactly?

And, in my opinion , the answer is obvious: men try to impress women. As women's earnings rise, "impressing women with your job" becomes a less-realistic, less-worthwhile endeavor.

Men are switching mating strategies, they are hitting the gym, working on how they look, because it's no longer our role to "bring home the bacon." If women will sleep with you because they like how you look, then what's the point of working hard?
Where do you get any of this? Men don't work hard simply to impress women. Could you have come up with a more sexist view?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Men don't work hard simply to impress women.
well, that's a good point, i failed to account for homosexuals.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, that's a good point, i failed to account for homosexuals.
Some men actually have a sense of accomplishment and have a sense of personal pride in being good at what they do. I know that will be difficult for you to understand, given how you seem to have a sexist way of thinking and all.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Some men actually have a sense of accomplishment and have a sense of personal pride in being good at what they do.
so then, if what you're saying is true --- if men act purely for the sense of accomplishment, and not to impress women --- then being good at video games should be perfectly sufficient to make a person happy and successful.

Because in the end, it's all about a personal sense of accomplishment, right? What women think doesn't factor into a man's career calculation at all, right? I mean that's obviously why Wall Street executives are so often women.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
There was an article in Cosmo this month about women being more ambitious than men, and what impact it had on their relationships. It was an interesting read.

I don't see a real problem with video games and other diversions during leisure time, though. As long as a person can get everything done which they need to do, who cares how they spend their free time?

I don't have a lot of respect for women who go around bragging that they make more than their husband...my sister is always going on about how she makes 70 percent of the income in their house (well, 100 percent since her hubby got downsized). If she were more supportive of her husband and more encouraging of his abilities, he would do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies