Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Great post! Seems pretty unlikely to me too. At the very least, these people would sell individual bottle drinks at a hot venue somewhere to bring in some added cash. But to go through the trouble of buying, carrying, dumping out, and recycling............ for a $1.20 !

Someone has been hoodwinking someone with this story.
It's actually very common in areas with high food stamp rates. (and bottle and can deposits)

Police: Soda bought with food stamp card for can deposit - WSBT-TV

My assistant was on lunch and he happened to see our cart out there. He didn't know what they were doing, so he called me and I went out there and asked them ‘Why are you dumping pop?’ Turner recalled. “[They replied], ‘Because we need to bring them back in for the 10 cents.’”

Turner called police, but an employee from the nearby Laundry Village had already alerted officers there was suspicious activity behind the supermarket.

Michigan law allows people to exchange aluminum cans for cash at some stores. The teen admitted to Neubecker he was attempting to get money for the 72 cans in his cart. The boy’s mom told police she gave her son the card to buy soda and a bag of chips and was unaware he would use it to buy cases of pop instead.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/1...bottle-return/

local man seen Monday dumping bottled water he had purchased with a food stamp card in order to cash in the returnables violated federal regulations and was issued a warning by police....

The Bangor Daily News put a spotlight on water dumping in August 2010 after a pair of men purchased $86.79 in bottled water from Shaw’s, dumped it out behind the store and returned the empties for $24.

Store employees at the time described the practice of water dumping as common, an observation shared by police.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's a USDA press release that cracks down on "water dumping".

USDA Announces Additional Steps to Reduce Fraud and Misuse in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program | Food and Nutrition Service
The expanded definition now includes so-called “water dumping,” or the purchase of beverages in containers with returnable deposits for the sole purpose of discarding the contents and returning the containers to obtain cash refund deposits; and the sale or purchase of products originally purchased with SNAP benefits for purposes of exchanging those products for cash or other items.
Okay. Thanks for the link. That might be SNAP fraud on a very small scale.

Through your link, I also found that the major SNAP fraud is by retailers!

Quote:
The federal government takes action against those who misuse the program.

In FY 2012, over 100 analysts and investigators reviewed over 15,000 stores and conducted nearly 4,500 undercover investigations.
Quote:
Close to 1,400 stores were permanently disqualified for trafficking and nearly 700 stores were sanctioned for other violations such as the sale of ineligible items.
FNS also works with State law enforcement authorities to provide them with SNAP benefits that are used in sting operations, supporting anti-trafficking actions at the local level.
What is SNAP Fraud

Retailer SNAP fraud eclipses any water dumping for a buck-twenty.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,761 times
Quote:
Great post! Seems pretty unlikely to me too. At the very least, these people would sell individual bottle drinks at a hot venue somewhere to bring in some added cash. But to go through the trouble of buying, carrying, dumping out, and recycling............ for a $1.20 !

Someone has been hoodwinking someone with this story.
My take on this was about the same...

Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
The relevance is that most "charities" are really proselytization rings!
Most charities are non-religious and the one in your story wasn't forcing people to choose between food and religion - the government was forcing the charity to choose.

Quote:
“The (person) told us there was a slight change in the contract,” Daly told me. “They said we could no longer have religious information where the USDA food is being distributed. They told us we had to take that stuff down.”

Daly and her staff sat in stunned disbelief as the government agents also informed them that the Christian Service Center could no longer pray or provide Bibles to those in need. The government contract also forbade any references to the ministry’s chapel.

“We asked if we had to change the name of the organization but that said we could leave that,” Daly said. “But we had to take our religious stuff down.” Daly said they were told they could continue distributing USDA food so long as it was somewhere else on the property – away from anything that could be considered religious.

In other words – the Christian Service Center had a choice: choose God or the government cheese.
Florida official tells Christian charity to choose between Jesus and cheese | Fox News

Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Well, it ain't gonna hurt the Pigbillys in my neck of the woods!

Most of the fat***** on foodstamps need to lose weight anyways!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
A big scam, by your own food:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...l2xjNDRwKR4qkQ

Old 09-21-2013, 07:14 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Hmmm, let's see:
24 in a case x 5 cents per return = $1.20
Cigs here cost between $5 and $6.
At least 6 cases need to be dumped... add in another for taxes.

I have never - not even one time - seen someone buy caseloads of anything and stand outside the store and dump them.
Most of us bring the cases home, drink said products and bring returns back and buy paper products.

I don't drink soda anymore, but there was a time when I drank lots of it just so I could have those nickels adding up. We still needed toilet paper and soaps.

I already explained cigs... I don't drink beer, so have no clue on price.

I really can't see someone spending close to $5.00 or more (with foodstamps) on soda or water just to dump these products for the lousy $1.20. The $1.20 return charge is added onto the purchase price, so that would bring a cheap case up to over $6.
If one dumps 6 cases for a pack of smokes, then probably double that for booze. That is an amazing way to waste $72 of precious food money.

I'm not saying it is never done, I'm just saying I have never seen it, and I personally know a lot of people on foodstamps.
Well I have. Plenty. At least once a week.

Those flavoured cigarellos are like $2.50 a pack.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The economy won't improve over the next decade for lower-skilled workers, who disproportionately use food stamps.

Why should the economy improve for poorly educated people who don't even try to learn? Learning is something is something you have to do yourself. We have got more than enough resources in some cases over an order of magnitude more than schools in much of Latin America, Phillipines or subsaharan Africa and schools with nothiong more than a old fashioned black board and benches and chairs can produce thousands of students who get a good secondary education, take the needed exams to go to university. and then do so in Britain,Canada or the USA. Marion Barry (A DC political wonder) complained when he went in for his kidney transplant that he couldn't understand why all of his nurses and technicians in the main hospital in your nations capital were Filipino or Latino rather than Black Americans. Marion 's question is worth answering even if he came to the wrong answer. It took tremdous effort to get from Metro Manilla or a village in Honduras to a qualified RN working in an ICU caring for transplant patients.Now a person growing up in Marion's 9th Ward which has youth unenployment of 60% and adult unemployment of 40% is no more disadvantaged than the average Filipino in Manilla so the climb to be able to compete for a good paying job at Washington Hospital Center is not impossible but it isn't handed on a silver platter!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

The real scammer is Fox News!

Quote:
Surely it would not have been difficult for Fox to find a realistic face of food stamp recipients, as 76% of SNAP households include a child, elderly person, or disabled American. This dishonest depiction of SNAP is the latest example of Fox's longstanding tradition of maligning the poor.
Fox's Shameless Misrepresentation Of SNAP Recipients | Blog | Media Matters for America

Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Why should the economy improve for poorly educated people who don't even try to learn? Learning is something is something you have to do yourself. We have got more than enough resources in some cases over an order of magnitude more than schools in much of Latin America, Phillipines or subsaharan Africa and schools with nothiong more than a old fashioned black board and benches and chairs can produce thousands of students who get a good secondary education, take the needed exams to go to university. and then do so in Britain,Canada or the USA. Marion Barry (A DC political wonder) complained when he went in for his kidney transplant that he couldn't understand why all of his nurses and technicians in the main hospital in your nations capital were Filipino or Latino rather than Black Americans. Marion 's question is worth answering even if he came to the wrong answer. It took tremdous effort to get from Metro Manilla or a village in Honduras to a qualified RN working in an ICU caring for transplant patients.Now a person growing up in Marion's 9th Ward which has youth unenployment of 60% and adult unemployment of 40% is no more disadvantaged than the average Filipino in Manilla so the climb to be able to compete for a good paying job at Washington Hospital Center is not impossible but it isn't handed on a silver platter!

Because conservatives believe a rising tide lifts all boats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies