Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Irrelevant. It was passed by a majority in both houses of Congress and signed into law. Sorry, but you lose.

Robert Reich on ABC's "This Week:"

The Constitution of the United States does not allow a majority of the House of Representatives to repeal the law of the land by de-funding it. If that were the case, no law is safe. A majority of the House could get rid of unemployment insurance, federal aid to education, Social Security, Medicare, or any other law they didn't like merely by deciding not to fund them.

The constitutional process for repealing a law -- such as Congress and President Clinton did with the old Glass-Steagall Act -- is for both houses to enact a new bill that repeals the old, which must then be signed by the President. If the President vetoes it, then the repeal can only go into effect if the veto is overridden by two-thirds of the House and the Senate.

The Republicans who are now running the House of Representatives are pushing a dangerous new constitutional doctrine. They must be stopped. There should be no compromising with fanatics.

Robert Reich
Those tea party fanatics that were elected have no knowledge of how our government is supposed to work. They are doing damage to our country just as an incompetent neurosurgeon would damage a patient's brain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
In the past I have criticized President Obama for setting bad precedents. He has made contradictory statements in order to justify actions that he campaigned against and pilloried Bush for. For whatever reasons, Obama, more so than the average president has a group of cult like followers refusing to blame him for any of his errors. This is a problem in and of itself that harms democracy and almost encourages Obama to commit more errors. We must be able to call out all ineptness and errors whether or not it is from our party or not.

The Republicans are wrong on trying to defund Obamacare in this manner and it sets a bad precedent.

For starters the GOP is being dishonest in their arguments. They point to the polls that most Americans do not want Obamacare while ignoring that those same polls show that most Americans don't want them to attempt to defund it in this manner.

This is a bad precedent. Most of the time one party does not control all three between the House, Senate and White House. Is this a tactic that the Republicans would like to see the Democrats use going forward? What if this tactic becomes constantly used and the pressure of a shutdown effects many government workers' lives.

All you would need to do is really control one of the three to effectively shut down the government by refusing to produce a budget or CR to make demands. All you need to d is control one of the three to clog up the other two...it seems more like chaos than effective government. I don't think this is what the founding fathers had in mind when they talked about slow change.

What if the Democrats passed the GOP Bill defunding Obamacare, everything word for word, but then cut out something that the GOP likes? Start a tit for tat? Could you blame the Democrats.

LOL, why even worry about it? Notwithstanding the fact that not only Republicans are on record against Obamacare, the Senate won't defund it and Obama won't go for it.

IMO, all of this nonsense about Republicans supposedly having all of this control is simply another tactic to get the uninformed to think that they're already in control of both the House and the Senate, just in time for the mid-term elections.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL, why even worry about it? Notwithstanding the fact that not only Republicans are on record against Obamacare, the Senate won't defund it and Obama won't go for it.

IMO, all of this nonsense about Republicans supposedly having all of this control is simply another tactic to get the uninformed to think that they're already in control of both the House and the Senate, just in time for the mid-term elections.
Equally ridiculous is that part of the House's initial "plan" for attaching the defunding language was that they would force the Democrats in the Senate to vote for funding Obamacare, and thus, "own" it. Ooooh, scary threat that completely ignores the fact that the Senate Democrats are already on record as having voted for it. How do these geniuses think it got passed in the first place? That's a threat?

Tea Party Republicans truly are stupid. There is simply no other conclusion one can draw from their support of these asinine, doomed-to-fail tactics.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Those tea party fanatics that were elected have no knowledge of how our government is supposed to work. They are doing damage to our country just as an incompetent neurosurgeon would damage a patient's brain!
Except for the inconvenient fact that Democrats have done the same thing in the past, huh?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Your first paragraph is absolute nonsense. President Obama has been consistent throughout, but his efforts have been hampered by a historically bad Congressional Republican contingent that is second to none. Also, it's clear that there is a difference between campaigning and holding the office. While campaigning, the candidate Obama is free to express his vision, which was an ideal one for this country. As President however, he cannot act alone. The structure of our government doesn't allow him to, so naturally, some subset of his vision is not going to get implemented. Can't believe I have to explain this. It's common sense for God's sake.

Incidentally, the President has consistently reached across the table to compromise with the hapless Right. Even under criticism by his own party he has done so. In fact, it was he who said that "ideological purity doesn't get things done". This is a man who invites perspectives from the opposing side, and would implement good ideas from the Right if they were credible or the best available. Unfortunately, the Right has nothing, can offer nothing but obstruction. Your criticism of this President is ridiculous, but expected given that your party is in a free fall, and the Obama's presidency has thus far been a resounding success. Not so for the Congressional Republicans, especially the House GOP. The House GOP is the worst in history, a truly shameful and embarrassing bunch.

You're right about the Pubs in Congress. It is a stupid move, but not unexpected. Republicans are the party of idiotic decision makers, intent on protecting the rich while everyone else goes to hell. The GOP is the party of bigots. Stands to reason that this inept bunch would take this tactic. They can't do any better.

I'm shocked that a racist on the left thinks the right are in the wrong. Shocked I tell ya!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Who is getting paid $100K to "raise the flag"? I highly doubt that and just because you did a lot of physical labor does not mean that people who use their brains in their careers aren't working as hard as you did.
Here is the only information that I can currently find on WH salaries: White House Salaries | The White House The article that I read a few years ago about the flag raiser salaries has disappeared.

I never said that all government workers/contractors are crooks, bums or lazy. But you cannot tell me that government does not have fat. My favorite are my local highway workers. I used to drive all over our Country and there is a major difference in the proficiency of the different state workers. It is a clear as night and day. My county will take years to do what other states will do in just a few days. And then it doesn't last. Maybe it's not the contractor's fault; maybe it is the job specifications? But the fact is that we are not getting our money's worth!

My major problem still goes back to the disparity in wages between government and the private sector. If you want our dollars to have worth; we need balance. If this trend continues you will only have wheelbarrows full of worthless paper!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Incidentally, the President has consistently reached across the table to compromise with the hapless Right. Even under criticism by his own party he has done so. In fact, it was he who said that "ideological purity doesn't get things done". This is a man who invites perspectives from the opposing side, and would implement good ideas from the Right if they were credible or the best available. Unfortunately, the Right has nothing, can offer nothing but obstruction. Your criticism of this President is ridiculous, but expected given that your party is in a free fall, and the Obama's presidency has thus far been a resounding success. Not so for the Congressional Republicans, especially the House GOP. The House GOP is the worst in history, a truly shameful and embarrassing bunch.
This is complete bull ****! what the hell did Obama use to sign ObamaCare into law, if not "ideological purity"? Obama's first week in the white House, when the Republicans offered some things they would like to see in the Stimulus bill, Obama told them to pack sand with his "I won" comment, and then refused to meet with GOP leaders for months. The ObamaCare meetings and writing of the legislation were behind locked door, where no Republicans were allowed inside. So don't try and spin your falsehoods here, you look partisan and foolish.

What hasn't Obama gotten his way on, hmmm? Name one policy where the Republicans did not give Obama what he wanted. Name one of the numerous times Obama violated the US Constitution and the GOP called him on it.

Did they call Obama on refusing to uphold the Defense of Marriage act? Did they call him on his recessed appointments when the Senate was still in session? Did they call him on his ObamaCare waivers? Did they call him on unilaterally declaring war against Libya? Did they NOT give Obama trillions in new deficit spending by denying him debt limit increases? Did they call Obama on any of the many laws he refused to either enforce or obey, or delayed?

What of his major policies has the GOP denied Obama? Every single time, the Repubs have folded like a cheap Titanic deck chair.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Sorry: I was hoodwinked and thought this was unusual...

I bought another Obama lie. I feel like such a fool. Obama lied and I bought it.

I am such an idiot, I should know that you can't trust a thing he says by now.

Washington Post gave Obama the maximum worst score on its honesty test for this claim:
Obama
Yup, Obama is such a bald faced liar, he does not even try t hide his lies any more, he is an embarrassment as a president

This lie earned him four Pinocchios

Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
In the past I have criticized President Obama for setting bad precedents. He has made contradictory statements in order to justify actions that he campaigned against and pilloried Bush for. For whatever reasons, Obama, more so than the average president has a group of cult like followers refusing to blame him for any of his errors. This is a problem in and of itself that harms democracy and almost encourages Obama to commit more errors. We must be able to call out all ineptness and errors whether or not it is from our party or not.

The Republicans are wrong on trying to defund Obamacare in this manner and it sets a bad precedent.

For starters the GOP is being dishonest in their arguments. They point to the polls that most Americans do not want Obamacare while ignoring that those same polls show that most Americans don't want them to attempt to defund it in this manner.

This is a bad precedent. Most of the time one party does not control all three between the House, Senate and White House. Is this a tactic that the Republicans would like to see the Democrats use going forward? What if this tactic becomes constantly used and the pressure of a shutdown effects many government workers' lives.

All you would need to do is really control one of the three to effectively shut down the government by refusing to produce a budget or CR to make demands. All you need to d is control one of the three to clog up the other two...it seems more like chaos than effective government. I don't think this is what the founding fathers had in mind when they talked about slow change.

What if the Democrats passed the GOP Bill defunding Obamacare, everything word for word, but then cut out something that the GOP likes? Start a tit for tat? Could you blame the Democrats.

We will have to defund it to find out what is in it.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
According to recent poll only 13% of Americans want GOP to follow through with their threat to shut down the government. I think that is pretty much in line with the Congress approval ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies