Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm at work and don't have time to dig, but here's a start. I'm just saying that there may be other laws and policies, depending on the region, that may include school bus stops, etc. States can expand on federal law with further restrictions, and state laws vary widely. I'm very familiar with how school boards work, and I find it unlikely that a school board in a conservative community would have come up with a policy like that entirely on their own. That's why I suggested that there may be compliance issues with state or federal law in order to receive funding. I may also be wrong, and I stated that clearly.
Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is a school bus stop sign, when the school is not in session? It's just a place that designates where the school bus stops at to pick up students and drop them off. After school hours, when the buses are no longer running, the bus stop is..... nothing, it's not sacred ground, and it's not a designated gun free zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
I hope the parents sue the hell out of the school district.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
School bus stops arent within schools jurisdiction.

It doesnt become a school activity until the school bus actually arrives..
Not true. I am a military spouse, which means I move around a lot, who has taught for over 20 years in multiple school districts and states. I know students have been disciplined, at most of those schools, for actions while waiting for the bus. For heaven's sake they can discipline students for what they put on the internet from their home computers during non-school hours.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Better that the parents and kids accept personal responsibility for their actions. Accept their punishment gracefully and earn respect by doing so.
Since when do the PC do anything you suggest? You know how Obanana always blames someone else........

Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not true. I am a military spouse, which means I move around a lot, who has taught for over 20 years in multiple school districts and states. I know students have been disciplined, at most of those schools, for actions while waiting for the bus. For heaven's sake they can discipline students for what they put on the internet from their home computers during non-school hours.
These studens were on private property.

At what point does the "bus stop" become the "bus stop"? If my kid stands at the end of my driveway and shoots an airsoft gun at a tree, 1 hour before the bus arrives, is he at the bus stop? how about 2 hours? 30 minutes? When does that "private property" turn into a "bus stop"?

Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Will they be moving on to Nerf Guns next?

Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Students are prohibited from possessing, handling, using, or distributing any weapon on School Board property (including any school bus), on the way to or from school or while at any school sponsored or related activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
WHich they weren't, so school board policy is still inapplicable.
Waiting for the bus is considered a school related activity. Students are routinely disciplined for actions at the bus stop.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I agree even reading the letter.....the long term suspension for all the school year seems way over board as well...unless there has been some other behavior issues with the kids before at school.

If this was my kid....I would have preferred to have the principal call me and we set up a parent-kid-principal meeting to discuss the situation. If first time, the school should let the parents and kid know the school stance on the issue and maybe some small school discipline due to the district rules, but let them learn from it first. Then if they did it again, then be more severe.
Once it was determined that it fell under school jurisdiction, because of zero tolerance policies, the principal does not have the option of setting up a parent-kid-principal meeting. Zero tolerance policies lead to tying principal's hands.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
The dumb ass school officiasl will change their mind once the lawsuit is filed.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These studens were on private property.

At what point does the "bus stop" become the "bus stop"? If my kid stands at the end of my driveway and shoots an airsoft gun at a tree, 1 hour before the bus arrives, is he at the bus stop? how about 2 hours? 30 minutes? When does that "private property" turn into a "bus stop"?
When other children are on the property for the express purpose of being picked up for the bus. If the students are waiting for the bus, that is all it takes. If the parents don't want their private property used as a bus stop they can request it not be used to the school board and the spot will be changed. By allowing the bus to pick up kids, without asking it be moved, they have given their implied permission for it to happen. Most parents like the bus stop being at their house for the convenience of their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies