Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,834,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, the short answer is because it is a tax. We don't get to say I will pay taxes for the national parks, but not for aid to Zimbabwe. Of all the things that we do pay taxes for, I would say that helping to provide comprehensive health coverage for all is near the top. It connotes a "patriotic" tax if you will, because we do it not for our immediate personal gain, but to strengthen the country as a whole.
Actually increasing the lives of Americans will further degrades this country as they becomes even more of a burden of ssi/Medicare/medical. I know you are going to think I'm heartless, but those programs are already underfunded and will not be able to cope with the influx of baby boomers and now you want to burden them even more. Not to mention the further consumption of limited natural and social resources.

Smokers and the obese are actually cheaper to insure since they die earlier.
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05iht-obese.1.9748884.html?_r=0[/url

No one will actually say the above because it makes them sounds mean. I don't care if you think I am mean, it is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,720,988 times
Its going to take a few more days to digest the latest figures. Avik Roy in Forbes reported that the new rates are 99% higher for men for the cheapest coverage. Most of these states that are reporting the high rates didn't participate in the exchange and I suspect had policies that were sold that wouldn't be allowed in some states. The ACA requires 80-85% of money paid in actually be spent on Medical expenses. Roy in his latest report didn't even bother to compare the Bronze plan to actual comparable plans. Roy just likes to hammer away using todays cheapest plans.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And yet you believe costs will go down in Texas? Do you also believe in the tooth fairy?
Interesting, you replied to the first part of my post then totally ignored what I stated in the second half, now I know how Cons get their data to work out like they want them to, selective reading skills, thanks for the update.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Strange, here in Texas they are going down,
You know that's a lie.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Actually increasing the lives of Americans will further degrades this country as they becomes even more of a burden of ssi/Medicare/medical. I know you are going to think I'm heartless, but those programs are already underfunded and will not be able to cope with the influx of baby boomers and now you want to burden them even more. Not to mention the further consumption of limited natural and social resources.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05iht-obese.1.9748884.html?_r=0[/url

No one will actually say the above because it makes them sounds mean. I don't care if you think I am mean, it is the truth.
You could put everyone 65-69 on on the ACA and probably save money. Ted Cruz has proposed raising Medicare to age 70. You wouldn't have anyone in that age bracket running down the doctor that's for sure. The ACA is very heavy with the means testing and high deductibles. At some point in time both Republicans and Democrats will have to make changes to Medicare.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,483,189 times
Quote:
Today, a 27-year-old man in Memphis can buy a plan for as low as $41 a month.
That's just part of the cost. For $41/month what is covered, what are the limits, and what are the co-pays and deductibles?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,760,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Yep, you are mean and that is the truth. The democrats have been using the elderly for decades now to garner votes by scaring them with social security and mediscare cuts that were proposed by the evil GOPers. Look who is doing the cutting now.....So useful fools they be. Baby boomers marched in the streets for many of the perks you think you so deserve today.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,834,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Yep, you are mean and that is the truth. The democrats have been using the elderly for decades now to garner votes by scaring them with social security and mediscare cuts that were proposed by the evil GOPers. Look who is doing the cutting now.....So useful fools they be. Baby boomers marched in the streets for many of the perks you think you so deserve today.
No one will ever change Medicare or social security because the baby boomers vote and when ever anyone in the relublican party even hints at making a change the democrats come out with the your going to push old people off the cliff campaign.

The fact is benifits need to be reduced and age increased to keep the programs solvent.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You know that's a lie.
I think people who buy individual insurance in Texas and compare similar policies will find the exchange rates cheaper. When you compare the cheapest to the cheapest without comparing actual polices the ACA is probably higher in Texas. To give you a comparison if I go to Geico and get a $50,000 liability auto policy for $400 and then go to Allstate and get a $300,000 for $600 then Geico is obviously a better deal...right!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,455,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Plan X would still be there to buy, just not thru the exchange. You don't think the Company offering you nothing for your money will stop making that offer, do you?
Actually some policies will not be around anymore in the way they are now. Theres certain things required of all policies and high deductables will not be available. The reason for a high deductable is for lower payment for someone who doesnt go to drs or use their policy much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies