Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

I seem to remember back when the sequester took place and our fellow conservatives were adamant that this was Obama's sequester and all his fault. Fast forward to our current budget debate over the CR and we have our same conservatives demanding that those sequestration spending levels be left untouched. What I'm having a hard time understanding is how did conservatives go from blaming Obama for the sequestration to now demanding that the sequester stay in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I seem to remember back when the sequester took place and our fellow conservatives were adamant that this was Obama's sequester and all his fault. Fast forward to our current budget debate over the CR and we have our same conservatives demanding that those sequestration spending levels be left untouched. What I'm having a hard time understanding is how did conservatives go from blaming Obama for the sequestration to now demanding that the sequester stay in place?
I remember back when leftis proclaimed that it was a Republican sequester, because if it kicked, everyone will lose their jobs, the economy will collapse, babies will starve, old people will be killed, the world will end..

Obama admits the sequester was his idea, are you calling him a liar?

btw, to answer your stupid question, remember you stand here whining because the "tea party" wanted cuts.. now all of a sudden you're shocked because those cuts will remain cut.. how dumb can one be..

Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I remember back when leftis proclaimed that it was a Republican sequester, because if it kicked, everyone will lose their jobs, the economy will collapse, babies will starve, old people will be killed, the world will end..

btw, Obama admits the sequester was his idea, are you calling him a liar?
I'm just wondering why Republicans are demanding we keep sequester levels if they used to say it was a bad idea and all Obama's fault?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
The Congress did not pass a Budget again this year. The House and Senate each passed a Budget (so they could get paid) but they never went through reconciliation. The Continuing Resolution (necessary to avoid a shutdown) is a CR to the Budget Control Act of 2011. The Budget Control Act of 2011 set the Sequester in place AND provided the amounts of the Sequester all the way to 2020.

The GOP said it was Obama's idea to add the Sequester language and Bob Woodward agreed - he was working on his latest book and documented the entire process. The Republicans are saying the Sequester must remain in place ....... Because it's the LAW. They can pass a new Budget and repair that, but they failed to do so.

Democrats and Obama want to make up the difference in higher spending level by adding more Taxes, the Republicans are rejecting that.

This is not rocket science.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I'm just wondering why Republicans are demanding we keep sequester levels if they used to say it was a bad idea and all Obama's fault?
I dont recall Republicans suggesting that cuts were a bad idea.. I thought Republicans wanted to cut out everything in the federal government and even throw granny off the cliff...

make up your mind.

Stating Obama owns the sequester, IS A FACT.. one can argue about the ramifications of that sequester, (and even make up doomsday scenarios that clearly didnt come true, cough, you left wing kooks), but there is no argument that Obama proposed it.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont recall Republicans suggesting that cuts were a bad idea.. I thought Republicans wanted to cut out everything in the federal government and even throw granny off the cliff...

make up your mind.

Stating Obama owns the sequester, IS A FACT.. one can argue about the ramifications of that sequester, (and even make up doomsday scenarios that clearly didnt come true, cough, you left wing kooks), but there is no argument that Obama proposed it.
So the sequester is good now?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
So the sequester is good now?
When has Republicans argued that cuts were bad?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
I would have liked more cuts but understand that is all the {R}s were getting and remember Obama received half of his tax increases in the deal. If Obama wants his other half he needs to compromise and give up more cuts. But Obama is a obstructionist so that will not take place.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:
True conservatives didnt think it was a bad idea. Obama thought it would cause republicans to open up the purse and let him spend spend spend. Republicans would never cut military. Well he was wrong on that one.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
I think that most Americans are weary of the he said/she said, tired of the finger pointing, and completely fed up with the utter lack of either party to actually do what they were elected to do and govern the country. This political theater drama is old, and if I were an incumbent in the next midterm election, I would be pretty nervous about now.

The Senate Democrats have failed to pass a budget for over 4 years now, and before the predictable excuses of the act of passing a budget being an exercise in futility due to House Republicans, remember that the 4 year time period includes the time when Dems controlled the House, Senate, and oval office. The Republicans in the House are doing nothing but political grandstanding to pander to their ever shrinking base. Neither party is actually interested in what is right for the country, they all have the myopic, inside the beltway vision that is limited to the 25 meter target that is the next election. They only care about staying in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies