Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times

Advertisements

lol

Is the California economy really booming?

Bill Maher: California is leading America to a Moderate Liberal Nation - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Someone needs to lead Bill Maher away from the crack pipe.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
so an unfunny comedian on pay cable has an opinion about something? I laughed.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 9,719 times
Maher and California are only two of many leading America into the toilet. I'm sorry to see the
middle class fading out. Some of them were my best friends.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
He just exemplifies the typical delusional modern day American left wing nut case. They actually believe their own lies. Obama is great, California's economy is great, debt doesn't matter, money grows on trees, etc.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
A man who's spent too much time with super models......guess when one is rich they believe the economy is kicking, loser he is!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
He just exemplifies the typical delusional modern day American left wing nut case. They actually believe their own lies. Obama is great, California's economy is great, debt doesn't matter, money grows on trees, etc.
The same can be said about any party though. There are republicans convinced of their own lies, such as the rich being entitled (I used that word for a reason) to less taxes than everyone else and America being a Christian nation, just as their are democrats convinced of their own lies. there are smart liberals and smart conservatives. Then there are dumb liberals and dumb conservatives. It's not black and white, and I grow tired of hearing people talk like it is.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
Some facts about California:

According to the Census in 2010 the population of CA was 37,253,956 and in 2012 its population is estimated to be 38,041,430.

Its economy grew 3.5% last year (5th fastest of any state in the nation). It's also worth over $2 trillion, making it about the 8th or 9th (depending on your source) largest economy on earth if it were an independent country, which is pretty amazing given the exceptional growth rates of large developing nations over the past few decades (Brazil, Russia, India) and the Great Recession. It's also projected to have a budget surplus this year (thanks to Jerry Brown).

Also, the economy of SF grew the fastest out of every single metro area in the entire country in 2012, clocking 7.4% growth, ahead of Houston at 5.3% and Dallas at 4.3% which were numbers 2 and 3 respectively (BTW, the Bay Area is the richest CSA in the country already). LA's economy (which is enormous) also grew 3.1% in 2012. CA's economy as a whole is expected to grow 3% in 2013 and 4% in 2014.

The unemployment rate (8.6% as of May 2013) has also been dropping quickly considering it was the highest or second highest (or something like that) of any state in the nation. CA was hit really hard by the recession, absolutely, and it still has a ton of problems, but it's bouncing back, and rapidly.

I just don't understand why/how some people on this board almost all wish for CA to fail. Such people obviously all realize that if CA were to actually collapse economically that it would have MASSIVE effects on the entire country, right?

Also, CA, with the Monterrey shale oil formation, is estimated to have about 1/3 of all the shale oil in the USA. The Monterrey shale oil is by far the single biggest reserve that we have in the country that is known to us at this time. If CA gets its act together on the shale oil too, then really watch out.

http://www.pe.com/business/business-...-the-black.ece

California housing market bouncing back at record pace | abc7.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/us...ects.html?_r=0

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...-centers/3058/

California a Bright Spot in US Economic Recovery

Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Well, California shot itself in the chest with the housing debacle, so they own that one. As I have said before, that one goes to the financial gurus of blood red Orange County, not the liberal wing.

But they are coming back, and despite the conservative narrative, still the most creative, dynamic economy in the country.

I am not saying the state does not have huge issues with crime, white flight,etc., but it still leads the nation in many ways. The smartest people from around the world are heading to Silicon Valley, and that is a fact. Also, when they raised taxes last year, their deficit closed within a year. Just goes to show that if you raise taxes you can close a deficit without destroying your economy, despite the fear-mongering of the Norquist/Tea Party wing. If Obama had the latitude to act like Jerry Brown in California, our deficit would be shrinking much more rapidly.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Maher is a double talking d-bag. He's funny, and I watch his show, but only to see how bipolar he can get with his ideals and see how much he can bash Christianity all the time.

BTW, as much as Bill rails against the NRA ("nuts," "racists" and "*******s," according to him), he owns firearms himself and has admitted to such. That just really irks me.

Bill Maher: ’12 home invasions in my neighborhood, I ain’t giving up my gun’ - BizPac Review

BTW California is a DISGRACE in every way to America. Nothing about that state is worth a dump, outside of perhaps the weather in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies