Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Post fail. The Southern Strategy was about about moving white southern voters to the Republican party - not moving Democrat Senators.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Excellent and spot on. Thanks for posting.

This stupid thread needs to be put out of its misery. Coulter can't be taken seriously. Even her existence is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It is not a meme. It is simply a fact of history. Racists did indeed defect to the Republican Party in droves because Democrats backed equal rights for blacks. Prior to that racist southerners would not vote for Republicans because of the Civil War but after the voting rights act they switched parties to Republicans. That is an extremely well documented fact.

You Republicans are becoming a lot like Muslims trying to pretend the Holocaust never happened. Facts do matter and your opinions, wishes, and dreams do not equal facts.
Any evidence? How do you explain the 12-1 ratio? Invoke 'no true Scotsman' or perhaps just perform the traditional lefty skedaddle?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How do you explain the 12-1 ratio?
How do you explain Trent Lott saying how much better it would've been if Strom Thurmond (and, we can safely assume, other Dixiecrats) had been elected in 1948?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
How do you explain Trent Lott saying how much better it would've been if Strom Thurmond (and, we can safely assume, other Dixiecrats) had been elected in 1948?
I love when posters can't answer challenges, so they jump in with challenges of their own. Do you have any explanation for the 12-1 ratio? I suppose not.

Nonetheless Coulter does address the Lott incident in her book. Here's what she says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Coulter
Assuming--contrary to common sense--that Lott was intending to praise Thurmond for his segregationist stance two decades earlier, what we had here was: one former Democrat praising another former Democrat for what was once a Democrat policy. The Lott incident reminded us that Republicans have to be careful about letting Democrats into their party.
I remember well when Trent Lott was made majority leader. Finally a true conservative we were told, after years of the Doles, Pete Domenicies, etc. What a crock. Trent Lott was a dyed-in the-wool liberal politician who supported the 'Fairness Doctrine.' All kabuki theatre....
Crush Liberalism: Trent Lott can go to hell

Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Wutitz I a.m starting to think you work for Anne Coulter. This is the 3rd thread about this book you are reading. I wish you would hurry and finish it and think of your own right wing conspiracy-liberal media blahblahblah-no such thing as the southern strategy Coulter regurgitation. Please read some books by conservatives who aren't media whores. You are asking us to consider the words/thoughts of a woman who is hyper polarized. It is like me telling you about a book written by Al Sharpton and wanting you to take it seriously.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Lott had been a Democrat before he ran for Congress in 1972 as a Republican because it was easier to get the GOP nomination - shades of Michael Bloomberg.

While the Dixiecrat Senators remained Democrats, many Southern Democratic politicians on lower levels of politics became Republicans.

Party switching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Wait, so racists are all democrats?
Yes!

Anymore questions?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wutitz I a.m starting to think you work for Anne Coulter. This is the 3rd thread about this book you are reading. I wish you would hurry and finish it and think of your own right wing conspiracy-liberal media blahblahblah-no such thing as the southern strategy Coulter regurgitation. Please read some books by conservatives who aren't media whores. You are asking us to consider the words/thoughts of a woman who is hyper polarized. It is like me telling you about a book written by Al Sharpton and wanting you to take it seriously.
Ad Hominem fallacy.
Fallacy: Ad Hominem

No lefty poster has so far dared touch the issue of the 12-1 ratio. The above poster might with the above Wikipedia link about party switching. I'll look at it later when I have time.

A critical point in all this is that almost all of the 12 were standard issue liberal democrats. They were not conservatives, as is often intimated. Coulter makes the point that liberalism and racism went hand-in-hand. This makes sense if you think about the eugenics movement of the progressive era, or for that matter the continual race-baiting from the left of today.

I've already mentioned liberal hero Sam Ervin. Fulbright was another interesting case. Best known for pushing federal subsidies to higher ed, he was signatory to the "Southern Manifesto" issued after Brown vs. Bd. of Ed. around 1954. This was a document signed by about 100 politicians and leaders that called for continued racial segregation, particularly in education.

J. William Fulbright later became mentor to a youngster named William J. Clinton.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ad Hominem fallacy.
Fallacy: Ad Hominem

No lefty poster has so far dared touch the issue of the 12-1 ratio. The above poster might with the above Wikipedia link about party switching. I'll look at it later when I have time.

A critical point in all this is that almost all of the 12 were standard issue liberal democrats. They were not conservatives, as is often intimated. Coulter makes the point that liberalism and racism went hand-in-hand. This makes sense if you think about the eugenics movement of the progressive era, or for that matter the continual race-baiting from the left of today.

I've already mentioned liberal hero Sam Ervin. Fulbright was another interesting case. Best known for pushing federal subsidies to higher ed, he was signatory to the "Southern Manifesto" issued after Brown vs. Bd. of Ed. around 1954. This was a document signed by about 100 politicians and leaders that called for continued racial segregation, particularly in education.

J. William Fulbright later became mentor to a youngster named William J. Clinton.
We're ignoring the 12-1 ratio because it's completely irrelevant.

How does the party affiliation of 13 senators prove a single thing about the historically factual political migration of millions of other people?

Only Ann Coulter would think her little factoid proves anything other than itself. Well, Ann, and you, her fawning acolyte.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Who do do the KKK align themselves with today, who do the majority of white supremist groups align themselves with, who do most of the racists on this board align themselves with, reality trumps the rambling babble of a far right-wing talking head every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies