Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,361,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A sure-fire sign that Rick Roma has absolutely nothing of value to add to the conversation.

Dance some more for us. Maybe some weak-minded people could still be duped by your nonsense.
You come into the thread with the standard Obot canned response of the source isn't valid and it's not true because I say so yet you claim I have nothing of value to add to the conversation. IBTL.
The weak minded sheeple who support Obama were duped by his nonsense long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:11 PM

16,772 posts, read 8,245,402 times
I currenty pay 374.00/ month here in NC that rate looks to drop to 282.00/month. You might want to check other providers in your state see healthcare.gov

Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,895,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I currenty pay 374.00/ month here in NC that rate looks to drop to 282.00/month. You might want to check other providers in your state see healthcare.gov
Stop it now! You are ruining the GOP talking points!!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM

16,772 posts, read 8,245,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Stop it now! You are ruining the GOP talking points!!
Just like any other Ins. ( home,auto,life) the ACA gives you the ability to find other providers.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
As a matter of fact, I have run my own company before having owned and operated a nationally franchised business quite successfully. I provided a small subsidy to help my employees buy health insurance that I provided access to for them. People's health should be more important than profits & shareholders. They place profits and shareholders above people's health consistently. Here's a lovely little excerpt on one of the regional players in SW PA. UPMC revenue rises by $1 billion - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Here is some more: Health Insurers Threaten To Increase Premiums, Even As Profits Soar

Their miserable little single digit percentage margins translate into $Bs in profits. Yep, I really feel sorry for them as their profits soar and people are driven into bankruptcy because they can't pay their medical bills. $B is $B no matter how you slice it. How much are their CEO's paid?

Can't imagine why anybody with a conscience would defend these greedy multi $B public companies who only exist to drive profits for shareholders, not to actually help people with their health care needs.
You still aren't looking at the profit margins though. Health insurance isn't a largely profitable industry, it's not even in the top 30.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,949,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You still aren't looking at the profit margins though. Health insurance isn't a largely profitable industry, it's not even in the top 30.
You sound like a shareholder. Ever been a patient?

Plain & simple, I don't care what their margins are. Why should anyone's ability to obtain needed affordable health care be sacrificed to the profit motive of a huge corporation? People's health, well being, and in many cases, lives are at stake. The cost of health care in the US can drive anyone unfortunate enough to become seriously ill into bankruptcy. This happens nowhere else in the civilized world. The insurance companies treat this as some sort of "darwinism" as they seek to build those meager margins that regardless of the metrics involved, run into the $B and continue to grow. They are committed to their shareholders far more than the care of their "customers".

Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,143 times
Quote:

Plain & simple, I don't care what their margins are. Why should anyone's ability to obtain needed affordable health care be sacrificed to the profit motive of a huge corporation? People's health, well being, and in many cases, lives are at stake. The cost of health care in the US can drive anyone unfortunate enough to become seriously ill into bankruptcy. This happens nowhere else in the civilized world. The insurance companies treat this as some sort of "darwinism" as they seek to build those meager margins that regardless of the metrics involved, run into the $B and continue to grow. They are committed to their shareholders far more than the care of their "customers".
You are confusing health care with health insurance. Two completely different businesses. Insurance, be it health, home, auto, or life, is a financial product and is based upon the actuarial risk and the underlying cost. If the cost or risk goes up then the premiums have to go up. If the investment returns go down then the premiums have to go up to make up the shortfall. You don't need insurance to get healthcare.

Healthcare, on the other hand, is made up of a lot of companies with monopoly power. Big pharma, medical supplies, hospitals, and everybody in between. With or without health insurance, American healthcare is still going to be expensive and that won't change just because people want it to be free.

MRI machines cost money
Private rooms cost money
Cable costs money
The newest drugs cost money
The newest technology costs money
Marble floors cost money
DR's, nurses, janitors cost money
Med school costs money
Malpractice premiums cost money

As long as you don't go to a hospital medical care isn't expensive, but if you do you will pay an arm and a leg.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 PM

554 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Remember President Obama saying this about Obamacare?

“If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.”

And this?

“If you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, or Medicare, or Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have.”

Well, if you live in one of these 10 states it's not necessarily true and you may want to read the article and find out what's going on where you live:

California
Connecticut
Georgia
Iowa
Maryland
Missouri
New Jersey
New York
South Carolina
Wisconsin

Ten states where Obamacare wipes out health care plans | The Daily Caller
If you live in Tennessee, you may lose the ability to read analytically and make rational judgments after reading right-wing tripe.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm saying that the idiotic rule set by the federal government that denies an insurance company based in, say, Ohio from selling me a policy in Nevada should be repealed.
Each state has the right to regulate its insurance industry.

That's the rule.

You said you agreed with that rule.

Many companies offer insurance, through subsidiaries, in multiple states based on compliance with that rule.

Apologize for the confusion and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You come into the thread with ...
Blah blah blah. "I'm Rick and I don't have anything legitimate to say in response to moral comments on the topic, so I'll copy and paste the same tired distraction mechanism I've used previous, to make up for my inability or unwillingness to stay on topic."

Quote:
This is a critical point. Healthcare isn't like buying a laptop computer. Healthcare is potentially a matter of life and death, and therefore its offerings are reasonably subjected to more principled scrutiny by society. And insurance is the most practical means of affording healthcare in our society, and so it also is reasonably subjected to more principled scrutiny by society.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,361,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Each state has the right to regulate its insurance industry.

That's the rule.

You said you agreed with that rule.

Many companies offer insurance, through subsidiaries, in multiple states based on compliance with that rule.

Apologize for the confusion and move on.

Blah blah blah. "I'm Rick and I don't have anything legitimate to say in response to moral comments on the topic, so I'll copy and paste the same tired distraction mechanism I've used previous, to make up for my inability or unwillingness to stay on topic."

This is a critical point. Healthcare isn't like buying a laptop computer. Healthcare is potentially a matter of life and death, and therefore its offerings are reasonably subjected to more principled scrutiny by society. And insurance is the most practical means of affording healthcare in our society, and so it also is reasonably subjected to more principled scrutiny by society.

The OP is correct. Obama lied (as usual). What else is there to add to the conversation? BTW: "moral comments"? Please keep posting. I enjoy comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies