Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM

200 posts, read 121,931 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for honest feedback here, because I've read threads that assert that people are "disgusted" by the thought of sexual acts between men. I can assert, contrarily, that as a gay man, I'm just as turned off by the thought of a man and a woman together.

At the same time, however, when dealing with or talking to someone who's heterosexual, what they do in the privacy of their own home and their personal sex lives is not something I think about.

What really makes people uncomfortable with homosexuality?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,116,262 times
Because when gay men discuss their rights as gay men...the only thing separating them from heterosexuals is the homosexual acts the two men engage in. Therefore, it is the gay community that brings up what they do in the privacy of their own homes. I would assume that the majority of gay people do not go around discussing this all day...and therefore the topic must not come up very often.

It's not that it "turns them off"...it actually is disgusting to many people (and that doesn't come from the Bible).

Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times
I suspect that those who are the most vocal about being repulsed by gay sex secretly have homosexual desires and they cannot handle it. Thus they hate those that have the courage to be what they are most afraid of.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 PM

LMFAO, yes...if something is revolting to you it must be because you harbor a secret desire for it...

Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,405,022 times
I don't really want to maintain control over someones lifestyle I really don't care but seeing 2 guys kiss or more it just is a turnoff much like Lima beans are.

Of course I'm a hypocrite because 2 girls kissing doesn't bother me at all,well unless they don't like guys period which means I have no chance of being the meat in the sandwhich.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,957,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't really want to maintain control over someones lifestyle I really don't care but seeing 2 guys kiss or more it just is a turnoff much like Lima beans are.

Of course I'm a hypocrite because 2 girls kissing doesn't bother me at all,well unless they don't like guys period which means I have no chance of being the meat in the sandwhich.
Nice! haha

Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Probably the 'religious' angle isn't too valid, since 'religion' condemns MANY things. I'd say Americans' discomfort with homosexuality is pretty much an 'accentuated' version of its discomfort with ALL sexuality, up until very recent times.

Remember that for years, our 'popular culture' on TV featured NO couples even HAVING a 'common bed'...let alone BEING in one. Even "Ricky and Lucy", "The Cleavers", and all OTHER TV couples, were known to sleep in twin beds. That's how 'squeamish" we were (are).

Take the ever-popular "western", also..LONG a 'staple' of American entertainment. Virtually ALL "cowboy" types...(the Cartwrights--Matt Dillon---the "Big Valley"--and a HUNDRED others...were rugged, unattached, single males...with apparently NO SEX LIFE at ALL..period. (Remember the old joke about the 'cowboy who showed more affection for his horse than with his 'gal'?). We had no USE for people (as our 'heroes') who were involved in relationships.

IMHO, the "gay" scene is probably just a little more exotic than the "straight" one...and NEITHER of them had a place in our American "psyche" until very recently. If the early-day explorers, Mountain Men, Trappers, and "adventurers" ran into 'dalliances' along their way, we certainly didn't want to hear about it....

Old 04-02-2008, 03:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,609,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I suspect that those who are the most vocal about being repulsed by gay sex secretly have homosexual desires and they cannot handle it. Thus they hate those that have the courage to be what they are most afraid of.
So, nothing a nice stint in federal prison won't cure? Face your fears and become a man, or bi**h....or both?

I never did buy into that psycho-babble theory. I get along fine with a lot of gay men, but still find the thought of their sex life rather repulsive. I pondered that theory of homophobia and found that I found the idea of being secretly personally attracted to men more repugnant than trying to picture the sex lives of my gay friends.

If this theory were accurate in my case, I cannot believe I would be able to have such close friendships with men who are gay. I will grant you, there are a few I have met that I cannot tolerate, but I really think I would dislike them even if they were straight. They would find a way to make any lifestyle irritating.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,807 times
Two girls doesn't gross me out, unless they're using a strap-on or something weird like that, two guys does, but more power to them.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 PM

LMFAO fishmonger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies