Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

The fact that Texas wants to pollute the sciences with mysticism and superstition should raise a red flag to those who make hiring decisions in STEM fields! Any resume of a student matriculated from a Texas school should be tossed in the circular file since they likely do not know the basics of science and technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The fact that Texas wants to pollute the sciences with mysticism and superstition should raise a red flag to those who make hiring decisions in STEM fields! Any resume of a student matriculated from a Texas school should be tossed in the circular file since they likely do not know the basics of science and technology.
I'm pretty sure that the university system follows the real world with regard to academic literature.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The fact that creationists are continually appointed to the state science textbook adoption panels is not sensationalism.

They're there.

I didn't say they were not there ...... I did say they had been failing at this deal since the mid-80's.
Do you dispute that failure? And if you want to do that, be sure at link to their success.

Does it ever occur to you to wonder exactly why these 'creationists' have been failing for decades?

When I say "decades", I'm not kidding. I faced this stuff from a Biology Teacher in what is now known as Advanced Placement Biology in High School (it was called Sequence I at the time) in the 1960's. She informed the entire class that she was forced to teach Darwinism by Texas law, but that she did it under duress.

Last edited by Kibby; 10-01-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Not just Texas although the religious fanatics here have failed so far to change textbooks.

Several other state have actually submitted bills to be passed regarding creation science (as they call it now).
9 Bills That Would Put Creationism in the Classroom | Mother Jones

Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the university system follows the real world with regard to academic literature.
Of course it does - the UT system is Top Tier and so is the A&M System. It's really the public K-12 school system where this attempt is made .... but as I say - they have failed for over 3 decades and will continue to fail. I know this is a total shock to most of you, but the majority of Texans are also in the "real world", more importantly - so are the people who make Board Appointments.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

I didn't say they were not there ...... I did say they had been failing at this deal since the mid-80's.
Do you dispute that failure? And if you want to do that, be sure at link to their success.

Does it ever occur to you to wonder exactly why these 'creationists' have been failing for decades?

The fact that these bozos are appointed regularly to a state level panel to sit in judgement of science curriculum in the first place is the problem. That fact that they've been unsuccessful so far is not encouraging. They have no more place in such a panel than your garbageman has in a surgeon's gown.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
What qualifies Michael Williams to judge science textbook content.

Also sounds like the curriculum is determined at the local level depending on the teacher, I could just imagine religious beliefs take precedent over science in some schools.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Down here Texas way, we've had us a long history of religious bozos doin' their level best to dumb down the next generation.

No joke!

Yea, because the secular way has been wonderful!

Old 10-02-2013, 05:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but among other things, the secular approach to the world has gotten us:

A republican form of government and the rejection of the divine right of kings.

A government that does not have the power to enforce religious beliefs on its people.

The knowledge that the Earth is not the center of the universe. Beyond that, the knowledge that manned and unmanned space exploration has provided.

The knowledge that terrible diseases are the product of microorganisms, not evil spirits, along with the scientific advances that enable us to prevent or cure many diseases that were once widespread and universally fatal.

You may oppose secular ways to understand reality and interact with the world and other humans, but your position would condemn our society to the ignorance and repression of societies like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default If that's your preference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Those wanting a theocracy are welcome to pack up move to Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies