Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The money is leaving MY pocket to make up for lost revenues that went to pad your bottom line. I call it a subsidy.
There is no lost revenues, we tax PROFITS, not revenues..

If I'm paying for my employers insurance, then my bottom line is reduced, not being padded.

My businesses have $0 profit yearly, you arent padding a dam thing..

well, you will be now thanks to Obamacare.. NOW you'll be padding my pocket by giving me a subsidy.. Why arent you as upset over it?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The government allowing you to keep your money IS NOT A COST to the government because ITS NOT THE GOVERNMENTS MONEY.

Why the hell are you so anxious to give the govenrment your money? Do you even work? How much extra taxes do you pay at the end of the year, over and above your obligations? I'd like to know so I can applaud you for not being a hypocrite by proclaiming your money belongs to the government..
They don't have to give you a tax deduction, that is so you can keep the money that would have been paid to the government.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
I just ran it.....wow, where do I sign up for such a wonderful deal like this? I get to pay more....for potentially worse care.

results
Because your income is more than 4 times the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

Household income in 2014:522% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:$9,807 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:None Amount you pay for the premium:$9,807 per year
(which equals 12.11% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0
(which covers 0% of the overall premium)
BRONZE PLAN

The premium amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You could purchase other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).

For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $7,208 per year (which is 8.9% of your household income). For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.

OUT OF POCKET COSTS

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $12,700. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.

A Silver plan has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

OTHER COVERAGE OPTIONS

Because Bronze level coverage would cost more than 8% of your household income, you may instead opt to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.
I'm in the 8% boat as well and am considering catastrophic coverage. I could not get a price on Kaiser or the real exchange site for that either. Time will tell. For me there is always the coverage my former employer offers to early retirees like me: $15000 per year, though for someone who goes to the doc maybe once in that time.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They don't have to give you a tax deduction, that is so you can keep the money that would have been paid to the government.
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? As an employer, I wouldnt be keeping the money, ITS GOING TO AN INSURANCE COMPANY TO COVER MY EMPLOYERS..

No one is keeping it.

Let me see if I understand you.. You want the employers to actually keep the money, not providing care to their employees, just so you can tax it?

yeah, and you have the nerve to proclaim its Republican policies harmful to the middle class. The stupidity is astounding..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I resent that. I am a citizen, am self employed, and pay for everything myself with the income I earn. Health insurance is too expensive for me and there have been many health issues I haven't addressed because while I make enough to pay my bills, I can't afford to rack up huge medical costs, and so I don't.

I am looking forward to having health insurance that is affordable. There are probably many like me who will benefit. Get off your judgemental high horse and realize that in a country where we pour millions into other countries, many of your fellow CITIZENS go without adequate health care. Just cuz you got yours, doesn't give you the right to deny others the same benefit.
Feel free to tell us how much your new "affordable" health insurance plan will be under ACA that you weren't able to otherwise "afford" before ACA.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
If you're self employed and make a reasonable living then you're not going to get affordable coverage under this plan.

Stop drinking the friggin kool-aid!
EXACTLY right. That tiny little tidbit of fact has not sunk in yet to the swooners.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
No its not.. a subsidy is when money LEAVES the governments pocket to lower the cost..

There is nothing leaving the governments pocket so you can have employer based care, nor does it lower the cost of health insurance.
LOLOLOL

This is wrong. It is a subsidy.

Here is why, say there is a landlord who offers to knock $100 dollars a month off of the rent, if the renters do x, y, z, around the rental property.

Now the landlord can either collect the full rent for the year and mail a check for $1200, or the landlord could knock the $100 upfront and just not collect the $1200. It doesn't matter either way the landlord is spending $1200.

This same thing applies to the government in collecting taxes.

The government could collect all taxes owed and then just mail checks for the various deductions that people get. Or the government could just not collect the taxes owed.

Either way the government is spending the amount of those deductions.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? As an employer, I wouldnt be keeping the money, ITS GOING TO AN INSURANCE COMPANY TO COVER MY EMPLOYERS..

No one is keeping it.

Let me see if I understand you.. You want the employers to actually keep the money, not providing care to their employees, just so you can tax it?

yeah, and you have the nerve to proclaim its Republican policies harmful to the middle class. The stupidity is astounding..
You are really dense, I never said you keep that subsidy. You get it so you can use it for the insurance.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is looking like it will be much more affordable for me than before ACA.
It's all about the actual coverages, deductibles, co-pays, etc. It matters not how low your actual premium is if you have to spend a boatload of money upfront in deductibles and copays to get basic healthcare services. And that's the point we've been trying to make from the outset......but none of you will actually listen. You only see a President who can do no wrong. You'll find out soon enough when you have to go to the doctor how "affordable" your ACA plan really is.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
If you're self employed and make a reasonable living then you're not going to get affordable coverage under this plan.

Stop drinking the friggin kool-aid!
no, no, no.. you have to learn how to play the game like I do..

You need to make sure your business makes very little profit. You then leave the profits into the business, thus allowing it to expand and grow. Then of course you get the insurance for free, and your wealth grows, while the taxpayers subsidides you becoming a millionaire that much faster..

Yep.. dont fight them, use their own policies against them.. And yes, they will squeel like a pig because they dont understand one dam thing about business accounting.. just look at their posts for validation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.