Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This is just a stepping stone to single payer. In some amount of time, maybe five years, maybe twenty, the program will be officially declared a failure, and the government will swoop in and proclaim that "free market" health care doesn't work.
Truth is, "free market" health care insurance doesn't work. Well, at least it doesn't if the goal is to not have people dying because they don't have access to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking
I'm all for a non-profit (no shareholders) single payer with a well regulated private for-profit supplemental coverage just like medicare recipients receive. Also, how many civilized nations go about it also.
Bears repeating. Make money off the extras, not the unforeseeable diseases and misery of your fellow citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:59 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You didn't get the memo? You're reading the wrong threads. It's because all Americans without health insurance are lazy, deadbeat bums who are unworthy.
Huh, wonder what that makes me? Oh wait, I'm covered by the VA! Silly me.

Sad that people have the mindset that you pointed out, however.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
We as Americans who work pay FICA tax, which is medicare and Social Security. Adjust and open up medicare to all, we are all paying for it now. Those who pay taxes pay for medicare, medicaid, VA, Indian Health and most can not access any of these deliverers of healthcare. And that is rationing.
Yeah there will be outreach programs, charities, non-profits (same as charities, but still), etc,etc who will help this people get access to it.

And mainly it'll get those people who try to snare me into their routine pitch to donate money every month of my damn back.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:06 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
There are some that in the future we will refer to as hero's that know that the national debt increased from 11.9 trillion in 2009 to 17.2 trillion in 2013. The Democrats have and continue to be on a massive spending spree. I can see how the change has affected governments and senior citizens and really the finances of all people in a very damaging way. True we would really all like to see free health care but the Obama people owed the American people the solution of the financial implications.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's totally obvious that most of the GOP obstructionism is due to a fear of success of a democratic policy.
They are traitors and must hate their country a lot to use this kind of tactic constantly.

This has been my overriding impression of the GOP since 2008. I understand that they wanted Obama to be a one term president, but to screw over the country in the midst of a recession is just plain treasonous. And they failed! Obama is going nowhere, so when do they start working for all Americans? From what I have seen and read here, the impression is that unless you are a billionaire or southern social conservative, they just don't give a damn about you. Well, they can stick their extra large lapel pins where the sun don't shine. They are traitors.

And here is the funny thing, the right wing pundocracy is loving all this. With a democratic president, they can churn out conspiracies and boogeymen and ersatz patriotism until the cows come home. Glenn Beck is crying those crocodile tears all the way to the bank.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Only time will tell. What's a given is the law will end up costing 2x to 3 x the original estimate and it's only going to grow. All government entitlement programs become monsters that consume the national budget.

Right now Medicare (a government run healthcare) which is supposedly "no profit" low administrative cost and very little fraud. Medicare consumes 20% of the entire USA budget yet only covers 15% of the population.

The CBO when they projected how much the ACA will cost never envisions big corporations like Walgreens and potentially state government who will unload their lower income workers to the federal exchanges or retired state employees on state health pension plans. Those people will eventually be off loaded to the exchanges as well.

The current taxes will not cover this law and its entitlements.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Only time will tell. What's a given is the law will end up costing 2x to 3 x the original estimate and it's only going to grow. All government entitlement programs become monsters that consume the national budget.

Right now Medicare (a government run healthcare) which is supposedly "no profit" low administrative cost and very little fraud. Medicare consumes 20% of the entire USA budget yet only covers 15% of the population.

The CBO when they projected how much the ACA will cost never envisions big corporations like Walgreens and potentially state government who will unload their lower income workers to the federal exchanges or retired state employees on state health pension plans. Those people will eventually be off loaded to the exchanges as well.

The current taxes will not cover this law and its entitlements.
This is the best critique I have read. I think the intent of the law is good, but the ability to control costs over time is the challenge. I agree.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
The projection disorder evidenced by this thread title would be laughable were it not so pathetic.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So you do not know what is in it, yet fear it, kinda strange way to go through life. And if we did not know it already that there are a lot of righties talking about ACA that obviously know nothing about it and now thanks to you confirming it, it is now proven that they don't know.
Yipes. What gobbledigook!
Law's shouldn't be passed without knowing what is in them.
Pelosi: "We must pass this bill; then we will find out what's in it."
Americans now know what's in it, and reject it, by an overwhelming majority.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This has been my overriding impression of the GOP since 2008. I understand that they wanted Obama to be a one term president, but to screw over the country in the midst of a recession is just plain treasonous. And they failed! Obama is going nowhere, so when do they start working for all Americans? From what I have seen and read here, the impression is that unless you are a billionaire or southern social conservative, they just don't give a damn about you. Well, they can stick their extra large lapel pins where the sun don't shine. They are traitors.

And here is the funny thing, the right wing pundocracy is loving all this. With a democratic president, they can churn out conspiracies and boogeymen and ersatz patriotism until the cows come home. Glenn Beck is crying those crocodile tears all the way to the bank.
Are you really as ignorant as I think you are? Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies