Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People borrowing more than they can afford is why people are bankrupt or in the poor house. And liberals think the country doing the same thing is the answer. Obviously people never learn.
It seems to be the American political way. Depends on your cause du jour. Like liberals have some lock on this, lol. The GOP spends like drunken sailors when on a night on the town.

You're right though- people never learn. I say cut off all aid to farmers, welfare, wealthy folks on social security, corporate welfare, special interests, BS disability claims etc.. Only spend money on infrastructure and defense, and no more than 10% GDP on defense. No more wind, oil or other energy credits. No more g*damn food stamps or WIC for anyone. No more federal funding for schools or health care..

Cut all the fed strings and see who goes down, lol. Red or Blue- time to put up or shut up.

That's the only way...

Last edited by Threerun; 10-10-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Here you really want to go over my head? Now explain how this is accomplished with the GOP being out of power other than to obstuct the party in power.

Expalin how the minority party works with the party in power when the minority party in order to come to DC had to vilify and promise to give no quater.

the Republicans put forth their plan for better govenment in the 2012 election, since their loss, there has be no conciliationa and an acceptance of fate.

Not once did I hear Ryan, or any other GOP player say, it's time to put the election behind us and move forward for the good of the country.
I asked my question first. Your answer is??????

You're good at deflecting like a true liberal.

I will answer though. You seem to be under the misguided notion that the party in power just gets their way and the minority party is just supposed to accept "their fate" (seriously you wouldn't if you'd lost). That is not how the government works. Even with one party in power, the other party gets a say. The way you're thinking it works, the minority party should just be sent home because they just have to accept their fate. No they don't. We have checks and balances. One party doesn't just get their way. What you are watching right now is those checks and balances playing out. You're watching the minority party forcing the majority party to the negotiating table as they should (and the liberals would have if the shoe were on the other foot and I'd expect them to. We may have a two party system but all of us have to live with the decisions being made.) I would hope that everyone involved would hope that this plays out in a way that is beneficial to the country. That we're brought closer to a balanced budget and closer to the day that we don't have to ask for the debt ceiling to be raised because we don't need it.

The answer to too much debt is simply not more debt unless that debt is being used to generate more income than will be paid in interest and I don't see a liberal plan to do that with the new debt. There has to be another answer than just get another credit card. Seriously. What would happen to a family that ran their finances like this?

That said, I do expect that when negotiations are done the debt ceiling will be raised. Hopefully for the last time.

Your turn to answer my question. Other than it was done before, what is your justification for more debt without a balanced budget?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-10-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM

46,292 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose
He has raised the debt ceiling less times than Bush I and II, and WAY fewer times than Reagan.

Obama - 6
Ford - 7
Bush II - 7
Nixon - 8
Bush Sr - 9
LBJ - 10
Carter - 10
Reagan - 18

I love this argument.....but from the above list, who is the one who stated that is unpatriotic and a sign off weak leadership....

Here, let me help you out...

Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic. - YouTube

Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ZOOOM....that is my post going right over your head. I never said it will be solved with folksy sayings. I said that we did it before is NOT justification to do it again. Not without a balanced budget or significant steps to balance the budget. Sooner or later we have to stop borrowing money and pay back what we owe. That's just economics. We might as well start fighting now. It will be a lot harder to dig out of this when the debt is 32 trillion. We can't just keep on raising the debt ceiling. We need to fix the problem.

There comes a point when the answer to too much debt has to be something other than more debt.

I will be honest though, if the debt were being used to put Americans to work, I'd think differently of it. It's rather sad that we have crumbling infrastructure across the country that we could be rebuilding and putting people to work rebuilding it would help to rebuild our economy. Instead we get obummercare.... Yeah that's going to fix the economy and the debt problem.

And you, conveniently, forgot to answer my question but that's ok, I didn't really expect a liberal to have an answer other than they did it before. Unfortunately, that someone did it before is not reason to do it now. There has to be a reason worth going into debt over. I'm not sure I'm seeing one. obummer care is certainly not worth going into debt for.
This discussion is about the debt ceiling, not the yearly budget. Spending is addressed in the budget and the Treasury's ability to borrow is addressed in the debt ceiling. Not raising the debt ceiling does not change spending, just our ability to pay bills.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:

You have a lame platitudes on how we need to get spending under control...you left out the mechanism to do so.

Its easy to identify a problem. The azz kicker is finding and implementing a plan to accomplish the fix.

You can talk all day about "deflections" and "liberals"...

But the end tally of the day will be you have no plan. Your party has no plan. this government has failed to work together on a plan.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM

46,292 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You have a lame platitudes on how we need to get spending under control...you left out the mechanism to do so.

Its easy to identify a problem. The azz kicker is finding and implementing a plan to accomplish the fix.

You can talk all day about "deflections" and "liberals"...

But the end tally of the day will be you have no plan. Your party has no plan. this government has failed to work together on a plan.
Finally, a leftist tells the truth....

Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:

I will answer though. You seem to be under the misguided notion that the party in power just gets their way. That is not how the government works. Even with one party in power, the other party gets a say. We have checks and balances. What you are watching right now is those checks and balances playing out. I would hope that everyone involved would hope that this plays out in a way that is beneficial to the country. That we're brought closer to a balanced budget and closer to the day that we don't have to ask for the debt ceiling to be raised because we don't need it.

The answer to too much debt is simply not more debt unless that debt is being used to generate more income than will be paid in interest and I don't see a liberal plan to do that with the new debt. There has to be another answer than just get another credit card. Seriously. What would happen to a family that ran their finances like this?
You can't have a balanced budget without cutting Medicare and raising taxes; boomers won't accept either of those proposals. Neither cutting the military nor cutting government services addresses government spending.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I will answer though. You seem to be under the misguided notion that the party in power just gets their way and the minority party is just supposed to accept "their fate" (seriously you wouldn't if you'd lost). That is not how the government works. Even with one party in power, the other party gets a say. We have checks and balances. What you are watching right now is those checks and balances playing out. I would hope that everyone involved would hope that this plays out in a way that is beneficial to the country. That we're brought closer to a balanced budget and closer to the day that we don't have to ask for the debt ceiling to be raised because we don't need it.

Your turn to answer my question.
Your placing assuption I never stated. again you lanch into more palitudes without not one specific fix.

Explain how your family would fix the National debt crisis.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Finally, a leftist tells the truth....
it's not a secret...where have you been?

Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Uhh...if you notice....the number of increases trends downward as the actual ceiling increases. Reagan's measely billions have NOTHING on Obama's mega-trillions. Would you not be up in arms if the actual number of single increases under one President were breaking records when those increases involve multi-trillions of dollars? Using your logic, you'd be A-OK if Barack Obama had 17 multi-trillion dollar increases in the ceiling....as long as he didn't break Reagan's record. Mindboggling logic indeed!!!

No actually it is your logic that makes little sense. You do realize with the cost of living/inflation that every president ends up borrowing more money than the previous one don't you? For the wealthy and well off republicans to be able to dupe the poor ones into making massive cuts into the safety nets is mind boggling and can be explained only by sheer stupidity or racist belief that a half black president can possibly "help" this country get on tract, which would destroy that belief that blacks as a whole are inferior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies