Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
No Way! William F. was a conservative in the traditional sense. Willaim F always said...Vote for the most conservative candidate who can win.

The Tea Party is diametrically opposed to that point.

I wonder why Rush is trying to legitamize the tea party as "just regular Republican"...?
For Rush it is all about marketing his product. Rush's audience is the same elderly, white Christian conservatives that make up the Tea Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Rush just added a slight bit of extra eccentricity to the Earth's orbit, what with Buckley accelerating to several thousand RPMs in the grave.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Buckley was an intellectual elitist more than anything. He hated Joe McCarthy and his populists in the early 50s, and spent his life fostering conservative philosophers and finding them places inside and outside of government.

While he was never a neo-Con, some of his acolytes became neo-Cons in the late 80s onward, and he never said much about whether he approved or dis-approved of them. He would have hated the tea party. Here is one of his most famous quotations:

"Conservatives pride themselves on resisting change, which is as it should be. But intelligent deference to tradition and stability can evolve into intellectual sloth and moral fanaticism, as when conservatives simply decline to look up from dogma because the effort to raise their heads and reconsider is too great."

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Growing up as a kid I used to watch him closely, listen to him speak. He was a very interesting guy to listen to. However, often times I would come away thinking that was very interesting and then "What the hell is he talking about?" because he had this strange way of speaking, articulating clearly, at least I thought so.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Buckley would be appalled by the Tea Party. He directly rejected Ayn Rand, which the TP reveres. The Tea Party is also the spiritual heir of the John Birch Society, which he also repudiated. Quoting his son, he spent his life separating true Conservatives from the Kooks. I can't imagine him looking at the Tea Party with nothing but disdain.

William F. Buckley, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
What makes you think that Buckley was RIGHT about EVERYTHING?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Correct!
I used to listen to Buckley on a regular basis and while I did not agree with all his stands on the issues I did respect him as a man that did his homework and knew the topics he talked about. He is nothing like the Tea Party people we have around today and my guess is that since he is a well repected Republican they are trying to tie themselves to him in hopes of making more people believe that they are the same ilk, if Buckley were around today he would put an end to such talk really quick.
"They" are not trying to do anything. It was Rush that made the observation. Did you read my post?

Rush is "nearly always right". He is right on this.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Buckley advocated for white supremacy in the 50-60's. As time wore on, he toned it down.
No he did not!!!! Quit lying!

Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Growing up as a kid I used to watch him closely, listen to him speak. He was a very interesting guy to listen to. However, often times I would come away thinking that was very interesting and then "What the hell is he talking about?" because he had this strange way of speaking, articulating clearly, at least I thought so.
I was in high school when I watched Firing Line every week. I felt as you do.

These days I sometimes watch YouTube videos and find myself much more understanding.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
No, Limbaugh is WRONG, just about EVERYONE is WRONG about the Tea Party.

Think populist movement. Think common sense Americans. Then think about the values of those Common Sense Americans.

The Tea Party folk are common sense Americans fed up with the status quo, who truly want REAL reform. They gonna get that from the Two Party System? They gonna get anything other than that from Dems or Repubs? NOT LIKELY!

Many of us are SICK AND TIRED of Big Government so called conservatives. Some of us are up to here with those who seek to subjugate us, make us their slaves.

READ the Constitution. Then come back and tell us how the NSA, the IRS, the CFPA, and all those other spying organizations fit into the grand scheme of things.
What in the Hell do you think the 'Tea Party' is about?

Think Howard Jarvis. "I'm mad as hell." A forerunmner to todays 'Tea Party' (along with William F. Buckley)

Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Buckley would be appalled by the Tea Party. He directly rejected Ayn Rand, which the TP reveres. The Tea Party is also the spiritual heir of the John Birch Society, which he also repudiated. Quoting his son, he spent his life separating true Conservatives from the Kooks. I can't imagine him looking at the Tea Party with nothing but disdain.

William F. Buckley, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, give me a break!! You are nothing but a nut case with that.

Buckley's son never respected his father. Whatever his son says about his father is suspect. That is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies