Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,264,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pretty much sums it up.
Well then I guess you are gonna have to get use to the Republican party getting smaller and smaller. Or you guys can really make yourselves irrelevant and start your own far right third party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,751,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well then I guess you are gonna have to get use to the Republican party getting smaller and smaller. Or you guys can really make yourselves irrelevant and start your own far right third party.

The end justifies the means.....

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,264,662 times
Quote:
I agree, we need to force out everyone on the far right.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,170,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Actually, what I did is look at actual numbers.

You just string together a lot of words that don't mean much of anything.

Politics is the art of the possible. Numbers matter. Sure, you replaced Hutchison with Cruz. And the Democrats replaced Lieberman with Murphy, Kohl with Baldwin, and Webb with Kaine. More importantly, the Democratic caucus got two more votes, so the person Ted Cruz votes to be Majority Leader got two fewer votes than he would have before the election. So as a whole, the Senate shifted to the left. How you think that 'reinforces' anything but the dead-end that is the Tea Party is beyond me.

And the House got less conservative as well. Sorry, a vote is a vote, and the fact that you replaced some Congressman with some Tea Partiers doesn't change the fact that Americans, by a 1.7 million vote margin, announced at the ballot box that they would prefer a House led by Nancy Pelosi than one led by John Boehner, nor that the Republicans won 8 fewer House seats than they did in 2010.

I noticed you ignored the reelection of Mr. ObamaCare himself. Hey, I understand - kinda guts your whole point, after all. But let's talk about that. And let's talk about the GOP primary leading up to the Presidential election. The Republican base decided to go with that guy responsible for RomneyCare. Yeah, that sure tells me something. And who was the runner-up? The bedroom cop from Pennsylvania - advocating the sort of government intrusion that the Tea Party pretends to oppose. And you think that 'reinforces' how Tea Party the nation and the Congressis?

Which brings us to October of 2013. You're talking about 'consequences'. Well, let me lay out those consequences for you.

First, the Affordable Care Act is going to be implemented. So all the windmill-tilting that thrills you to no end will be for naught.

Second, the GOP and the Tea Partiers are already paying a substantial price for what they're doing.
Poll: Don't Tie Shutdown to Obamacare Funding - NationalJournal.com
Some tea party congressmen find signs of political backlash at home - The Washington Post
National (US) Poll - October 1, 2013 - American Voters Reject GOP Shu | Quinnipiac University Connecticut
Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game - ABC News
Tea Party support falls to near-record low - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
[maybe that poll-unskewer guy can help you convince yourself that these polls are as wrong as the polls showing Romney losing last fall supposedly were]

Levels of political support directly correlates with the ability of politicians to accomplish their ends. This shutdown is handing power to Democrats. And for what? Posturing to a base for a diminishing number of Republicans (and, yes, all the Tea Party heroes are Republicans) that meet your purity test.

Did you happen to notice the first post-shutdown poll out of Virginia? Cuccinelli is finished.
http://cnu.edu/cpp/pdf/oct%208%20201...02013%20Report

Frankly, you don't seem to have any idea how politics actually works.
Now it's time to piiss in your Corn Flakes, Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics:

Quote:
The GOP’s wildly successful, low-key, and stunningly cheap campaign to seize state capitals in 2010 has come back to haunt Obama and his fellow Democrats. It’s now clear that the party’s loss of 20 state legislative chambers and critical Midwestern governor’s seats represents an ongoing threat every bit as dangerous as the more-publicized Republican take-back of the House that same year.
While you're concentrating on House and Senate elections, Republicans are steamrolling Democrats in State level politics nationwide. Oddly, you forgot to mention that Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics.

But, wait, there's more:

Quote:
For that seed money, Republicans secured an historic return, cementing a ten-year grip on the House of Representatives and a score of state houses, and erasing the remaining smudges of blue in red states.
You mean to tell me Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics that you forgot ALL ABOUT the 2010 redistricting? How could that be!!!?? Gosh darn it! Must have slipped passed you. Honest mistake, I know.

But, wait, there's more:

Quote:
It might be the greatest opportunity cost of the Obama Era in terms of sheer damage to Democrats, a gift that keeps giving to the Republicans in the form of GOP-dominated redistricting and a barrage of state actions that challenge Obama’s core agenda on health care, civil rights and abortion.
Say it ain't so! Sheer damage to Democrats??!! That one slipped by you too. I know, honest mistake for someone like Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics.

But, wait, there's more!

Quote:
â€Everyone is focusing on the House as hampering us, but no one has really focused on losing all those governerships and state legislatures,†the person added.
Obama?s states of despair: 2010 losses still haunt - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Oh, and by the way, this was written and published in July 2013.

Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics, please spare us from your superior intellect and understanding of politics, as it appears that you don't know jack ****!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,826,670 times
LOL

The 2010 midterms had absolutely nothing to do with the ACA. It was about still tremendously high unemployment rates, two wars still happening, and the emergence of the various tea party groups, which gained traction with moderates because they weren't, at the time, known to be far right extremists who would end up doing the GOP more harm than good.

For the last 5 years all I've heard from the GOP is Obamacare rabble rabble rabble. Where are your ideas?

Rand Paul's obscenely unfeasible budget proposal with trillions in tax cuts and trillions in services cuts? Ok.

You might want to start thinking about hanging your hat on something other than being the contrarian, unless you're prepared to cry for another 8 years under Hillary.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,517,456 times
Quote:
So what happens when you lose control of the House? That's the only remaining effect lever the you have.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 AM

89,325 posts, read 45,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I doubt if most left of center wanted Obama to be the best, just do what he was elected to do. He has not done everything or even everthing correctly, but he's far from the failure or horror assessed to him.

I dont need him to be a super hero, just keep us from back sliding.
So, Obama is a failure. By your own standards.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,170,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
LOL

The 2010 midterms had absolutely nothing to do with the ACA. It was about still tremendously high unemployment rates, two wars still happening, and the emergence of the various tea party groups, which gained traction with moderates because they weren't, at the time, known to be far right extremists who would end up doing the GOP more harm than good.

For the last 5 years all I've heard from the GOP is Obamacare rabble rabble rabble. Where are your ideas?

Rand Paul's obscenely unfeasible budget proposal with trillions in tax cuts and trillions in services cuts? Ok.

You might want to start thinking about hanging your hat on something other than being the contrarian, unless you're prepared to cry for another 8 years under Hillary.
The Tea Party is not a single issue organization. The ACA is part and parcel of the overall theme of government overreach, government spending, and the breakneck speed at which Democrats were positioning the government to spend this nation into oblivion with an unchecked supermajority. Try as you may to detach the Tea Party from Obamacare, but the reality is that the totality of the circumstances, including ACA, led to the arrival of fiscal conservatives.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,483,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I have maintained for the past 3 years that Barack Obama and Democrats will (and do) regret the manner for which they passed Obamacare (bribery, backroom deals, reconciliation, no Republican votes,etc.). Barack Obama was poised to be one of the great Presidents.....unfortunately he allowed all of that to unravel with the shenanigans that preceded passage of the law, and have since dogged his Presidency.

He, and Democrats, have no one to blame but themselves.
What you are trying to say is:

• The Republicans were butthurt about the 2008 election
  • Bidn't want to play ball with a healthcare plan that they would support if it came from a Republican
  • The sh*t got passed in spite of them
  • They got even more butthurt
  • Low information voters ushered in a bunch of Tea Party enthusiasts
  • They lost the 2012 election and became destructively butthurt
  • 2014: Republican Butthurt Apocalypse

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,517,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Now it's time to piiss in your Corn Flakes, Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics:

While you're concentrating on House and Senate elections, Republicans are steamrolling Democrats in State level politics nationwide. Oddly, you forgot to mention that Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics.

But, wait, there's more:

You mean to tell me Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics that you forgot ALL ABOUT the 2010 redistricting? How could that be!!!?? Gosh darn it! Must have slipped passed you. Honest mistake, I know.

But, wait, there's more:

Say it ain't so! Sheer damage to Democrats??!! That one slipped by you too. I know, honest mistake for someone like Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics.

But, wait, there's more!

Obama?s states of despair: 2010 losses still haunt - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Oh, and by the way, this was written and published in July 2013.

Mr. I Have A Far Superior Understanding of Politics, please spare us from your superior intellect and understanding of politics, as it appears that you don't know jack ****!
You are effectively confirming that the Republicans are maintaining their control of the House not through majority support, but through manipulating districts. This strategy will only go so far. 2010 was a disaster for the Democrats, but time has moved on. Perhaps instead of wallowing in that victory, you should start thinking about what 2014 will bring. 2012 was already bad for the GOP, yet they are doubling down on their failing strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies