Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times

Advertisements

We all know that the funding of Obamacare is at the root of the current gov. shutdown but does anyone know which funding specifically is being held up? Many portions of the ACA have already been funded, what hasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
The only funding involved are the subsidies to small businesses & to poor people and the Medicaid expansion. The politicians are objecting the idea of giving subsidized care to poor people. I can understand that argument. I like social safety nets, but I don't support expanding the safety nets until we adopt an immigration system similar to Canada or Australia.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We all know that the funding of Obamacare is at the root of the current gov. shutdown but does anyone know which funding specifically is being held up? Many portions of the ACA have already been funded, what hasn't?
Why don't you ask the CBO or the GAO?

Better yet, why don't you read the reports written by the CBO and the GAO about the PPACA and then perhaps the forum can have an intelligent discussion on those issues which are germane to the funding issue?

Knowing....

Mircea

Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why don't you ask the CBO or the GAO?

Better yet, why don't you read the reports written by the CBO and the GAO about the PPACA and then perhaps the forum can have an intelligent discussion on those issues which are germane to the funding issue?

Knowing....

Mircea
I've read the CBO reports that I've found and none of them are clear as to which funding has already passed and which funding is still on the table. I wouldn't be asking here if I could find the information myself.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've read the CBO reports that I've found and none of them are clear as to which funding has already passed and which funding is still on the table. I wouldn't be asking here if I could find the information myself.
The GOP hasn't been clear on this ... the shutdown is based more on slogan than anything else.

That said, I don't think it's a case of "which funding is still on the table" - if that were the case, the GOP would likely have used a slogan of "blocking" the funding. Instead, "de-fund Obamacare" has been used almost exclusively, and to me, that sounds more like taking something away that already exists, rather than stopping something from coming into existence.

I don't know, obviously. I've searched a little online and can't find anything conclusive. I even went to the good Speaker's website ... yuck.

I would have thought the GOP would have a website that would spell out exactly why they shut down the government ... more than just political slogans like "De-fund Obamacare". Has anyone found it?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Yeah because I dont even know why I hate it yet!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
It's at $136.3 billion per year over the next 10 years.

"CBO and JCT’s current projection of the budgetary impact of the ACA’s coverage provisions is $1,363 billion over the 2014–2023 period."

CBO | CBO

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's at $136.3 billion per year over the next 10 years.

"CBO and JCT’s current projection of the budgetary impact of the ACA’s coverage provisions is $1,363 billion over the 2014–2023 period."

CBO | CBO
lol. Such a deal. It can just be printed up by Old Yeller.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
In 2012, the total revenues were just under $2.5 trillion and our total outlays were just over $3.5 trillion. - http://www.fms.treas.gov/annualrepor...12/finhigh.pdf

We spent 40% more money than we brought in, which translated to $1 trillion.

Our debt currently lies at about $17 trillion.

The Department Of Defense is budgeted right around $700 billion per year. If we were to end all defense spend, we'd still be spending roughly $300 billion than we bring in.

Where is the money to pay down our debt going to come from?

Heck, where is the money to allow us to just balance the budget going to come from?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In 2012, the total revenues were just under $2.5 trillion and our total outlays were just over $3.5 trillion. - http://www.fms.treas.gov/annualrepor...12/finhigh.pdf

We spent 40% more money than we brought in, which translated to $1 trillion.

Our debt currently lies at about $17 trillion.

The Department Of Defense is budgeted right around $700 billion per year. If we were to end all defense spend, we'd still be spending roughly $300 billion than we bring in.

Where is the money to pay down our debt going to come from?

Heck, where is the money to allow us to just balance the budget going to come from?
Exactly right. Excellent question. But don't expect liberals to respond with anything other than "blame Bush."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies