Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As in atheist, I get really pissed off when somebody tells me happy holidays.

We in the Western world grow up with Christmas as a holiday. As far as I'm concerned it's Merry Christmas and if someone doesn't like it or doesn't think it's politically correct then they can go p*$$ up a rope.

Let's worry about real things were religion gets in our face.
Never read this thread back in the day (2013), but this guy is an atheist and gets fazzled at "happy holidays" but he's OK with Merry Christmas"???????????? LOL- can't make this sh*t up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 04:13 PM

439 posts, read 357,792 times
Depends on the situation: If I'm unsure of the religion of the person I'm speaking with I'll say "Happy Holidays". Otherwise, I'll wish them "Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays". In terms of saying "Joyous Kwanzaa", prior to Dec. 25th, I add it to "Merry Christmas" and use it independently thereafter. It's important to note that many African-Americans are Christian and celebrate both Christmas (as a religious holiday) and Kwanzaa (as a cultural celebration)...All that being said, I don't use either salutation/greeting as an act of cultural aggression...

Old 12-05-2016, 10:26 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.
I often wonder if people were simply more secure in their faith, their standing in their communities, etc. back in the day to not let these sorts of things bother them.
Or maybe they were just better mannered.

All this insistence on "Merry Christmas" just reeks of "look at me, look at me."
Yes. I have a box of cards I saved from childhood, tons of "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" along with "Merry Christmas" sent to my family from devout Christian families. It wasn't a big deal.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
If someone gets offended at my saying "Merry Christmas" (which I do in December - as often as possible) then they've got a permanent candy cane stuck up their wazoo.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I think from now on when someone says Merry Christmas to me (given our Trump society) I will say "Have a Nice Day" back. Would that be acceptable?
Always acceptable in polite society...except to those who stomp their feet and INSIST on "Merry Christmas".

Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If someone gets offended at my saying "Merry Christmas" (which I do in December - as often as possible) then they've got a permanent candy cane stuck up their wazoo.
Lovely. Just like Jesus.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times
Honestly, with everything floating down the river right now, I don't think people give a damn about this.
It's December 6th the offended would have left the barn way back during Halloween.

All together now.." It's beginning to Trump Alot like Christmas Yada Yada Yada. ....."
Happy Hanukkah & Merry Christmas everyone...
They fall on the same week this year

Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 PM

649 posts, read 316,834 times
Never have , never will . It always has been & always will be Merry Christmas , if that offends anyone , so be it .

Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Can I assume you hold the same opinion of folks that get offended by "Happy Holidays"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies