Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This is just a bluff to make sure the US raises the debt ceiling.

China is the world's biggest holder of US Treasury notes. The last thing they would want was for the US dollar to lose its place as the world's reserve currency. If that happened, the value of those nots would plunge. That would be devastating for China.

China, Russia, Arab countries, and certain European countries, have been trying to stop the US dollar from being the worlds reserve currency/oil currency for many, many years.

And China wants it to happen,

"China has the second largest economy on the face of the earth, and the size of the Chinese economy is projected to pass the size of the U.S. economy by 2016 [and projected to become three times larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2040 by at least one economist. [As such,] China is sitting there and wondering why the U.S. dollar should continue to be so preeminent if the Chinese economy is about to become the number one economy on the planet."

"China, and other emerging powers such as Russia, have been quietly making agreements to move away from the U.S. dollar in international trade over the past few years [and, as such,] the supremacy of the U.S. dollar is not nearly as solid as most Americans believe it to be."

Shift From U.S. Dollar As World Reserve Currency Underway - What Will This Mean for America? | munKNEE dot.com

And the US dollar is no longer the primary oil currency.

Dollar no longer primary oil currency as China begins to sell oil using Yuan - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM

18,811 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
A government has leaders (its government officials), it takes in income from tax revenue, it has expenses, it sometimes has debt, it cares for its citizens, and it protects its citizens.

Is the above statement inaccurate?

A household has leaders (its parents), it takes in income from working, it has expenses, it sometimes has debt, it cares for its family members, and it protects its family members.

Is the above statement inaccurate?

Both of the above statements are 100% accurate, and yet they are 100% the same, except for the following changes,

government/household
government officials/parents.
tax revenue/working.
citizens/family members.

In reality a household and a government are (very) much alike.

Its ironic conservatives manage expenses in their personal lives better than anyone. But when they get into government they cut taxes and create deficits and debt, they overspend on the military, they don't care about things like healthcare costs, and then they wreck the whole government. Then they blame the mess they make on the democrats.
Ignorance of our money system certainly crosses party lines.

The difference is that the Federal Gov't can create money, and this gives it very special powers and strength. For instance to help bolster an economy in recession. More importantly, money creation allowed the US to quickly increase GDP to finance the early WW2 years activity. And as a result of that war, the US and its USD rule throughout the world. A world reserve currency cannot be had through ordinary personal or conventional balance sheet means.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
This was nonsense a year ago, and it remains nonsense today.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
BRICS has been working on this for a while now. Nothing new really.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article...31011?irpc=932

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...30905?irpc=932

Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes you cheer on the enemies of the US. You think like a liberal.
The Chinese are not a bunch of "corporate propaganda Fox news followers", and I cheer (any) country that is not in a corporate cult.

Examples,

97% of climate scientists say "man made global warming is happening", and these scientists are scared as sh--. Global warming could stop deep ocean currents and f--- over this whole planet. But the Fox news followers say "global warming is not happening" to protect the corporate profits of ExxonMobile and GE.

Are the Chinese in a corporate cult to destroy this whole planet? Hell no, the Chinese are with the rest of the world to do something about global warming, and I cheer it.

Hariburton CEO Dick Cheney and CEO Donald Rumsfeld (with the support of Fox news followers) just attacked Iraq for the Haliburton corporation, and they killed 100,000+ innocent Iraqi people.

Do the Chinese approve of this? Hell no they hate, and I cheer them for it.

The Fox news cults final goal is to end all welfare for the poor, and end all government assistance for the middle class, while they fight to give billionaires 0% federal tax rates with 0% tax rates on capital gains.

Do you think the Chinese want to say f. you to their poor and their middle class, and then give Chinese billionaires 0% tax rates? Hell no, and I cheer it.

I can post 2,000+ lies that the republican CEO's tell Americas republicans, while the corporate Fox jocks flip their brains and tell them the democrats are lying.

Do Chinese CEO's and CEO Chinese government officials tell their people 1,000's of lies and flip their brains? Hell no, and I cheer them for it.

I will cheer (any country) that does not share the Fox news corporate agenda (any country.)

Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Yes you cheer on the enemies of the US. You think like a liberal.
But I will (not) cheer countries like this one.

Rape victim sentenced 200 lashes by Saudi court - Wilmington Conservative | Examiner.com

Last edited by chad3; 10-15-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
This was nonsense a year ago, and it remains nonsense today.
I have never met anyone who has your ability, to make any truthful statement or any solid fact become wrong.

Can you explain how the following is wrong?

2+2 = 4

But I will not be surprised if you can show me how the above is wrong as well,
Chad.

ps I'm actually worried you may be able to do it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
China looks to lose a trillion bucks if we go down. They would pay that gladly if they got their currency to the top of the pole.
China does NOT want their currency at the top of the pole. They've been devaluing the yuan for DECADES. As long as their currency is undervalued, they have an advantage exporting their goods. And not only do they NOT want to lose that advantage, if they lost that advantage, it would devastate their economy.

The Chinese economy appears healthy. They have a huge population of consumers. And by keeping the yuan artificially low, that huge population for the most part can only afford to purchase Chinese goods. If the yuan goes up in value, not only will the prices of Chinese goods go up worldwide, but those prices would go up inside China. That kind of inflational blow to China's domestic economy would be devastating when combined with increased competition abroad when their goods are actually sold at real value. The Chinese economy is really quite fragile, and they are under pressure already by a workforce demanding the same things that American workers demanded one hundred years ago. Unions transformed the American workplace. And China's labor force isn't ignorant of how that was achieved.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I have never met anyone who has your ability, to make any truthful statement or any solid fact become wrong.

Can you explain how the following is wrong?

2+2 = 4

But I will not be surprised if you can show me how the above is wrong as well,
Chad.

ps I'm actually worried you may be able to do it.
The world right now uses about 80-90M barrels of oil daily.

IEA - Oil

China has become one major oil importer. And as the US (potentially) the opposite.

China is needing about 6M barrels of imported oil daily.

Rise of the PetroYuan | Dan Collins | FINANCIAL SENSE

So this is not any major portion of the world, which is quite set into USD as the currency of choice.

But no doubt moving forward there will be more participation in the Yuan. Just not overnight, and more likely over a 10 year to a generation time frame. Plenty long enough for all involved to rebalance portfolios and investments along with adjusting currency flows.

China is one of our major trading partners. It should be no surprise that in the future the US supplies more oil to China. And by then we might have some use for Yuan.

U.S. Exports to China of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products (Thousand Barrels)

Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
China does NOT want their currency at the top of the pole. They've been devaluing the yuan for DECADES. As long as their currency is undervalued, they have an advantage exporting their goods. And not only do they NOT want to lose that advantage, if they lost that advantage, it would devastate their economy.

The Chinese economy appears healthy. They have a huge population of consumers. And by keeping the yuan artificially low, that huge population for the most part can only afford to purchase Chinese goods. If the yuan goes up in value, not only will the prices of Chinese goods go up worldwide, but those prices would go up inside China. That kind of inflational blow to China's domestic economy would be devastating when combined with increased competition abroad when their goods are actually sold at real value. The Chinese economy is really quite fragile, and they are under pressure already by a workforce demanding the same things that American workers demanded one hundred years ago. Unions transformed the American workplace. And China's labor force isn't ignorant of how that was achieved.
This is all true IMO. China is essentially today at a similar point as the US pre-WW2. In fact their current per capita GDP is around our early 1930's as I recall. With the Depression and WW2 the US began to see many social reforms, such as job related healthcare benefits, SS and such. Over time the Chinese people are bound to make the same demands on their Gov't and economies. Especially as they inevitably head towards a more consumer oriented society. And then their costs of production will rise, and their currency will appreciate if left to more typical external forces. Economic tides may turn in a generation, and maybe more manufacturing and jobs will head back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies