Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,769,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
(SIGH)
OK, let's go through this again...
Let's see...
WHO was it that should have presented a workable budget to Congress, way back about February?
WHO was it that finally presented a budget several weeks late?
WHO was it that presented a budget that his own party would not vote for?
WHO was it that refused to present another budget, forcing the Government to run on Continuing Resolutions ever since?
WHO was it that said, in this latest round of childishness, "I will not negotiate!"
WHO is it that apparently does not know the meaning of "compromise"?
I will give one clue: It was NOT a repugnican!
Yes, the repugnicans are partially to blame.
However, many of us assign at least 2/3 of the blame to two men, neither of which are repugnicans!
is that your attempt at wit, and originality? you have the originality of a lady goo goo song.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How can you even say this??? The Dems passed a bill into law knowing that the majority of Americans opposed it.
The Dems have repeatedly called for 0 compromise throughout this crisis. When you absolutely refuse any kind of compromise it is you who thinks only you are entitled to run the country.
So what is the compromise that the Republicans want? What do Democrats get out of this compromise?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,673,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what is the compromise that the Republicans want? What do Democrats get out of this compromise?
I don't care what they want. I want a budget surplus that goes towards paying down our nearly $17 TRILLION in debt.

Increasing the debt ceiling AGAIN, only encourages more spending.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
More than 57 million Americans receive monthly benefits from the Social Security Administration, including some 46 million retirees, spouses and survivors. The average monthly retirement benefit is $1,225.

22 million Americans that Social Security kept out of poverty last year, including 15 million adults 65 and older are due to get jack squat, if Republicans have anything to say about it.

A new report from AARP, in fact, shows that every $1 paid out by Social Security generates, in turn, about $2 of total output for the U.S. economy — or nearly $1.4 trillion in 2012.

I think 57 million people losing their checks might hurt the Republican party.
They're not just threatening Obama. They're threatening all kinds of folk.
How are they going to lose their checks?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's a Washington problem. The Republicans can accurately say they voted to fund that and the Democrats in the Senate refused because it didn't also include the funding of the ACA. Both sides look like petulant children. The problem for the republicans is that they lose the PR battle so the OP may be right about the effect.
If you are talking about the current "shutdown" affecting SS getting paid, it won't. Social Security is mandatory spending, is not part of the budget (it is kept separate) and therefore is not affected by the shutdown.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Quote:
What would the dems lose other than bragging rights?
Compromise isn't always about gain and in fact often is not. It is about finding consensus.
I can't imagine a business behaving as our politicians do. It would be a very short lived business venture.
I can't imagine any team being successful with the mentality of our elected reps. it is no surprise that we can't manage our spending habits.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't care what they want. I want a budget surplus that goes towards paying down our nearly $17 TRILLION in debt.

Increasing the debt ceiling AGAIN, only encourages more spending.
Actually raising the debt ceiling pays for the bills we currently have. It is called interest.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So you are justifying the Republicans for holding this country hostage.
Here we go again.

Harry Reid and the Democrats are the ones preventing any deal to "open" the government. Not the Republicans, who have made offer after offer.

The Democrats are doing this on purpose, to deflect from the failure of ObamaCare. But that cannot be hidden, and is becoming obvious to more and more Americans, as they learn their current plans are being cancelled, and finding out how much more they are going to be paying under ObamaCare.

The cat is out of the bag.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
What would the dems lose other than bragging rights?
Compromise isn't always about gain and in fact often is not. It is about finding consensus.
I can't imagine a business behaving as our politicians do. It would be a very short lived business venture.
I can't imagine any team being successful with the mentality of our elected reps. it is no surprise that we can't manage our spending habits.
So the Republicans have nothing to compromise with.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No more so than the Democrats are doing it. Its like 2 rival gangs in a turf war. They don't care about the civilians caught in their crossfire.
Those who give the Dems the free pass only do so because the Dems are their party. Free thinkers can see that both parties are playing the same game and for the same reason. It is all about establishing dominance over the other and has nothing to do with what is good for the nation.
Both have it within their power to end the standoff.
Ignorance runs deep among liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies