Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Yale Professor's Surprising Discovery: Tea Party Supporters More Scientifically Literate | Independent Journal Review

Tea Partiers were more scientifically literate than the general populace, and as compared with other categories of conservatives. The articles I see out there do not say how liberals came out, but I'll see if I can track that down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
I wonder how much of this comes from right-wingers reading their blogs that tell them scientists whose findings contradict Republican lies. I'd be willing to bet the average right-wing denialist knows more about climatology than a non-******. They don't believe any of it because it's not in agreement with declarations made by the likes of Inhofe and Limbaugh, but they're aware of it.

I bet creationists know more about evolutionary biology than the average non-****** as well, for similar reasons. To declare something a lie you need to be aware of its existence first.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
People sure "hate" them on here and I think it is odd when these people also preach tolerance... but then again, they make good scapegoats for Liberals and Republicans.... I have nothing against them... anyone who wants to speak their minds is welcomed to it...

Old 10-17-2013, 01:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Typical, instead of attacking the study, the liberals here attack an organization and personalities.

Liberals, if you are so sure that the results of this study are inaccurate, then present a rational and logical critique, ideally including some empirical data that lends credence to your opposing viewpoint.

Any takers?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Yep, some tea-partiers are scientifically literate and completely insane at the same time.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-17-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: hot linking

Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
So they're watching Star Trek reruns while downing a cold one, cleaning their guns in the double wide...big deal.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
So they're watching Star Trek reruns while downing a cold one, cleaning their guns in the double wide...big deal.
Sorry, Harrier couldn't understand you - he doesn't speak Klingon - and Mr. Spock would say that your post was quite illogical.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Interesting. Here is a link to the researchers comments:

www.culturalcognition.net - Cultural Cognition Blog

Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yale Professor's Surprising Discovery: Tea Party Supporters More Scientifically Literate | Independent Journal Review

Tea Partiers were more scientifically literate than the general populace, and as compared with other categories of conservatives. The articles I see out there do not say how liberals came out, but I'll see if I can track that down.
That is actually pretty scary. It is one thing to just not know much about certain things. It is quite another to know and refuse to believe it anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Typical, instead of attacking the study, the liberals here attack an organization and personalities.

Liberals, if you are so sure that the results of this study are inaccurate, then present a rational and logical critique, ideally including some empirical data that lends credence to your opposing viewpoint.

Any takers?
From the researcher's comments.

Quote:
In this dataset, I found that there is a small correlation (r = -0.05, p = 0.03) between the science comprehension measure and a left-right political outlook measure, Conservrepub, which aggregates liberal-conservative ideology and party self-identification. The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.

www.culturalcognition.net - Cultural Cognition Blog

So it turns out that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction. Hmmm. Watts up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies