Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They were both at home. The dad was "tired".

Anyway, they were conditioned by our new America to trust the "system".
More like "leave" it to the system. Has nothing to do with trust but passing responsibility on to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
All the article says is that her father was home when she got home from school. For all we know he worked but made sure he was at home when she got home.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He probably went to his boss and told him that he had an emergency at school, that his daughter was having an asthma attack, needed her inhaler and that he had to leave and his horrible boss told him he couldn't. Assuming the father was at work, why did he go home and not go straight to the school to get his daughter and take her home? Why did someone from the school have take her home?

My grandson has asthma and I can tell you that if my daughter was sick in bed, got a call from the school she would drag herself out of bed to go get him - with his inhaler in hand.

I really don't get the excuses people make for this so-called father and clearing him from any negligence on his part.

I guess you don't have a child or children.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
If the school called, and one of my kids was sick, I would leave work, and go pick them up. And my job is important...but, nothing is more important than my kids. And the only time they would call me was life or death, or being very, very sick.

Did this little girl cry "wolf" too often? Was she afraid of making her parents mad by telling them how ill she was? We don't know, there may be more to this than we know...

Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He probably went to his boss and told him that he had an emergency at school, that his daughter was having an asthma attack, needed her inhaler and that he had to leave and his horrible boss told him he couldn't. Assuming the father was at work, why did he go home and not go straight to the school to get his daughter and take her home? Why did someone from the school have take her home?

My grandson has asthma and I can tell you that if my daughter was sick in bed, got a call from the school she would drag herself out of bed to go get him - with his inhaler in hand.

I really don't get the excuses people make for this so-called father and clearing him from any negligence on his part.

I guess you don't have a child or children.
But why wasn't your grandson's inhaler at the school in the nurses office. Why should your daughter bring it to the school when her child needs it. Worst case scenario, it would be too late. That's what you don't seem to get. In my county and probably my state, the nurses office has everything they need to deal with kids with allergies, asthma, diabetes, and so on. Your kid gets stung by a bee and is allergic then the epi pen is waiting for them. Parents are called only to notify them. If a problem arises then 911 is called along with calling the parent.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Well let's talk about that then:

When I was in school, they would never have been a thought to not have a nurse on premises at all times. They had substitute nurses just like they had substitute teachers, so that there would never been a minute that there wasn't a registered nurse ready to deal with whatever happened.

What changed? What made the need for a nurse magically vanish?
When I went to a parochial school, there were no nurses. If nurses are so important then why isn't the government putting them at ALL schools? Even the ones that aren't government schools. I highly doubt that more parochial school children die at school because they lack nurses.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But why wasn't your grandson's inhaler at the school in the nurses office. Why should your daughter bring it to the school when her child needs it. Worst case scenario, it would be too late. That's what you don't seem to get. In my county and probably my state, the nurses office has everything they need to deal with kids with allergies, asthma, diabetes, and so on. Your kid gets stung by a bee and is allergic then the epi pen is waiting for them. Parents are called only to notify them. If a problem arises then 911 is called along with calling the parent.
I was using that as an example. My grandson is 14 and carries an inhaler. There is always the possibility that he could forget it. The school doesn't require that inhalers be placed in the nurses office. I guess my grandson and daughter don't live in YOUR county or state. Maybe the school(s) in your county and state are in violation of legislation??

Asthma and Allergy Medications at School - Anaphylaxis Medications | Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics

Quote:
In 2010 we celebrated that all 50 states protect students’ rights to carry and self-administer asthma medications. But our work’s not done – one state – New York — still needs to pass a law permitting students to carry and use their anaphylaxis medications

Every school year students have died because they were unable to get to their asthma or anaphylaxis medications on time. The medications were locked in a nurse’s cabinet or stowed away in a place too far to get to when the student needed them. Minutes count when asthma or anaphylaxis strikes. Students need to carry these medications on them, know when and how to use them — and then do it -
How do you lock up medication/inhalers when there are over 5 million students with asthma?

I understand the schools concerns - liability if something goes wrong or drug usage. Students with asthma and are required to carry an inhaler should be on school record. Teachers or staff seeing a student using an inhaler should confirm if that student is registered. If not, then the school can investigate. Denying someone their medication over liability???

Better to follow the rule and take the chance a student dies, than break the rule, right?

Nurse refuses student inhaler during asthma attack | News - Home

Treating asthma, allergies at school - Health - Allergies and asthma | NBC News
Some Schools Don't Let Kids Carry Asthma Inhalers - US News and World Report

So every child takes the same medication and doses for allergies, asthma, diabetes, and so on?? Is there one pill for everything???

Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When I went to a parochial school, there were no nurses. If nurses are so important then why isn't the government putting them at ALL schools? Even the ones that aren't government schools. I highly doubt that more parochial school children die at school because they lack nurses.
This is a good point now that you mention it. I attended parochial school and we didn't have nurses either. This was in the 80s. Everyone seemed to make out ok.

I work in healthcare and the dream job of many nurses is to be a school nurse. Same pay with little to do.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
When I went to a parochial school, there were no nurses.
How old are you?

Quote:
If nurses are so important then why isn't the government putting them at ALL schools?
They used to. They don't now because too many people care more about money than protecting other people's children.

Quote:
I highly doubt that more parochial school children die at school because they lack nurses.
I highly doubt that there was a parochial school without a school nurse when I was growing up.

Clearly they're needed. Case in point is provided in the OP of this thread, despite the vacuous denials that will emanate from those who generally hold a callous disregard for others.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is a good point now that you mention it. I attended parochial school and we didn't have nurses either. This was in the 80s. Everyone seemed to make out ok.

I work in healthcare and the dream job of many nurses is to be a school nurse. Same pay with little to do.
I went to public school and we only had a part time nurse 2 days a week. I personally don't think that the nurse is a factor in this case, I feel that the school should have immediately called 911. "Not feeling" well and asthma is not the same thing. And since this girl was 12, I highly doubt that she didn't tell them she had asthma or that the school didn't know she had asthma. School systems and administrators are known to be....I can only say liars.

And I guess because I have a small risk management roll in regards to processing "incidents" at my place of employment, I know that anytime someone "doesn't feel well" that can be a liability for my company. The best way to lessen that liability, especially with children is to request immediate medical attention.

When I was in high school we had a nurse 3 times a week, and it is embarrassing and maybe TMI but I had a bad case of cramps once in 10th grade and due to my pain level the nurse called the ambulance for me lol! My dad came too within 15 minutes and took me home, but that is standard procedure in schools to contact 911 when children show any sort of distress. I wasn't transported but they assessed me in the nurse's office. I was also assessed in 7th grade when I had flu and strep throat at the same time. My mom was at home and she was called but because I had a 104 temperature, an ambulance was called. I wasn't transported but they gave me Tylenol in our nurse's wing that time too.

I just cannot imagine how a school would not call 911 for a kid who is having trouble breathing. "Not feeling well" and asthma is not the same thing. She was probably wheezing and I just cannot imagine the school not calling 911.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
More like "leave" it to the system. Has nothing to do with trust but passing responsibility on to someone else.
Like DUH!

When we send our children to school, be it public or private we most certainly are passing responsibility on to others who have sought out and ACCEPTED that responsibility, and we as parents have every RIGHT to EXPECT that they fulfill those responsibilities.

So unless you are never going to send your child anywhere without your direct supervision, you need to give your argument a well deserved rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies