Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Will we be doing better or worse than Japan?
Is Japan a good economic measuring stick for industrialized countries with high debt to GDP ratio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I suppose the question is, "Where is the money going?" I don't mean the debt - I mean the money. The debt represents money injected into the economy, but it doesn't evaporate. It goes somewhere. Follow the money, and don't stop following the money when you reach people you hate that you want to have an excuse to defecate on - keep following the money, until you find it - find the money. Where is the money ending up? If it was cycling through the economy, like it is supposed to, then we wouldn't have many of the economic challenges we have. We are incurring debt to support a system whereby the money ends up somewhere where it is not working for the nation's best interest. That's what needs to be fixed. The system needs to stop the money from sitting at the end of that path, and instead make the only rational action to be keeping the money cycling through the economy.

Follow the money, and you'll understand the real source of the debt problem. It isn't what is being done with the money - it is what is not being done with the money that matters.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suppose the question is, "Where is the money going?" I don't mean the debt - I mean the money. The debt represents money injected into the economy,
No it doesnt.. it represents money which was removed from the economy, either through borrowing, or through devaluing the dollar, in order to be re-spent..

If government takes from you, so it can spend, its not injecting anything into the economy that wasnt already there.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No it doesnt.. it represents money which was removed from the economy, either through borrowing, or through devaluing the dollar, in order to be re-spent..

If government takes from you, so it can spend, its not injecting anything into the economy that wasnt already there.
So will the dollar be worth the same as the yen?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM
bUU

Quote:
Quote:
Your own comments discredit themselves more than anything I could say in response.

Last edited by bUU; 10-26-2013 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: fixed attribution

Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Your own comments discredit themselves more than anything I could say in response.
I'm sorry its difficult for you to comprehend that if I take $1 from you and I spend it, that it would be the same net spending into the economy if I had just let you keep it. I know, maybe $1 is too large of a figure for you to comprehend..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
So will the dollar be worth the same as the yen?
My bigger concern is what will happen when interest rates rise to around 6-7%.. Where will we get the $1T+ a year to pay for the interest alone?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I suppose the question is, "Where is the money going?" I don't mean the debt - I mean the money. The debt represents money injected into the economy, but it doesn't evaporate. It goes somewhere. Follow the money, and don't stop following the money when you reach people you hate that you want to have an excuse to defecate on - keep following the money, until you find it - find the money. Where is the money ending up? If it was cycling through the economy, like it is supposed to, then we wouldn't have many of the economic challenges we have. We are incurring debt to support a system whereby the money ends up somewhere where it is not working for the nation's best interest. That's what needs to be fixed. The system needs to stop the money from sitting at the end of that path, and instead make the only rational action to be keeping the money cycling through the economy.

Follow the money, and you'll understand the real source of the debt problem. It isn't what is being done with the money - it is what is not being done with the money that matters.
That money is not actually reaching "Main Street" and that's what is keeping inflation or hyper-inflation away.
The money is circulating between the USG and corporates.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That money is not actually reaching "Main Street"
That's a euphemism, but regardless, you've put your finger on the problem I was pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The money is circulating between the USG and corporates.
I doubt it is even that rosy a picture, because as money runs through the corporates, it's bound to go toward worker salaries, and from there to grocers and folks who sell clothing, and so on. More likely, it goes to cheap labor in some other country or almost-cheap H-1B labor (since it is a hot topic today, try to find out a breakdown by nationality of the software developers who are working on the health insurance marketplaces). But it would be nice to have some way of coming to understand how much of this money is getting channeled into accumulated wealth, investments in banking, economic activity limited to the financial sector, and other single-tier vectors that preclude the money cycling through the entire economy.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I doubt it is even that rosy a picture, because as money runs through the corporates, it's bound to go toward worker salaries, and from there to grocers and folks who sell clothing, and so on. More likely, it goes to cheap labor in some other country or almost-cheap H-1B labor (since it is a hot topic today, try to find out a breakdown by nationality of the software developers who are working on the health insurance marketplaces). But it would be nice to have some way of coming to understand how much of this money is getting channeled into accumulated wealth, investments in banking, economic activity limited to the financial sector, and other single-tier vectors that preclude the money cycling through the entire economy.
Who do you think is buying the federal debt? Those on welfare, or those billionaires? Clearly its those with the money, and they will also collect the "interest" as a profit.. So everytime you shout for higher debt and deficits, remember, you're making some billionaire richer at the poor and middle class expense

But you never seem to be able to collect the dots for some strange reason. Just like you proclaiming government spending money pumps it into the economy, its like you believe its created out of thin air and has no negative effects..

Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
All I know is that we need tax reform, entitlement reform, and spending cuts. I think in the short term Democrats should accept Obama's entitlement reform proposals and they should except the GOP's demand to keep the sequester and give agencies and departments the best ways to make those cuts as least painful as possible. Republicans should accept tax reforms that raise more revenue and pass the Senate immigration bill. That is a package that no would be really happy with, but it would start to put our fiscal house in order and would be a gift to young people across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies