Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:45 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times

Advertisements

It seems as if some people are unable to stay calm when the discussion turns political. It is impossible to comprehend the thinking of someone who gets so upset if others can't see his/her viewpoint. Maybe some therapy????? Hmm... A Political Therapist. A new job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
because some people get so entrenched in their political positions, that they refuse to see that there are other points of view. we all do it.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Because some people care about what is being done with 40% of their income.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Because some people care.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Because some people care about what is being done with 40% of their income.

A major concern.

I was going to post that it has a large affect on our lives, that was one good example.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,963 times
Nobody likes to be wrong

Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
If you don't care about politics, then something is wrong.

It either means that you don't vote, in which case you are willingly allowing decisions that affect you to be made without your input, or you do vote but don't care about the outcome, in which case you are most likely very uninformed.

Government exists for the sole purpose of securing our unalienable rights.

Those who take those rights for granted, or refuse to claim them by voting and taking specific action, have abdicated those rights, and weakened our republic.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
The headline is easily explained. We, the people, are greatly divided based on political, racial and socioeconomic classes. Politicians have forever steered the country to where it is as a cruise ship capsizing off the coast of Italy. They all get off first - before the passengers - and get caught in the act but 'What difference does it make?' Everyone is affected by politics.
Some people research what is going on and stay abreast, thus are a bit more knowledgeable than most but more people are beginning to feel comfortable enough to utter a talking point or two. Talking about and questioning those who are suddenly our rulers is our duty to the nation. The framers of the Constitution knew and wrote about such in the Federalist's Papers.

The reality is people truly don't know how to discuss politics because they have never cared enough to pay attention. They resort to emotional responses that echo some radio/TV personality and is stuck in their mind becoming their political rudder. There are those who refuse to vote and the first to rant on echoing the voices of TV news commentators as news 'reporters' no longer exist. Those fresh, attractive and witty foursomes in live studios are 'journalists' reading biased and interpreted thoughts about current events off of teleprompters. The news commentator shows can be informative when they have actual key figures in government present rather than spewing their thoughts on how that figure may think. You can watch that stuff on the interweb.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:51 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,465 times
I have come to the conclusion that you will not be able to get everyone satisfied to their political liking. I think Lincoln said it the best: "You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time." I tried to remind myself of this quote when I get frustrated with the politics in America.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
My take on the OP is he/she is asking why people have to act so childish and hateful when discussing politics. If that is the case, I have no answer and I am annoyed at it/sick and tired of it. Of. Course the anonymity of the internet emboldens many to say things they would probably never say otherwise.

If you have to call names or insult someone to make your point, you have no point and have lost the debate. This applies to BOTH sides. Act like an adult and communicate effectively to make your point. If someone disagrees with you it is not because they're stupid or racist or whatever. They simply see things differently than you do. Expand on your point or agree to disagree. Just do it respectfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies