Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,829,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Bankruptcy laws allow folks who "don't" want to pay their bills a way out. IF you want to pay your bill you can work out a payment plan. The slugs don't want to pay. So they let us pay.
You've never had a very, very serious illness. No way can an average person work out a payment plan on a several hundred thousand dollar medical bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,880,365 times
I did anesthesia for palliative surgery for a young woman in her 30s dying of a highly curable cancer. The 5K coverage of her insurance policy ran out and she could not afford further treatment.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,428,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This is a "talking point", not a fact.
heres a news story covering the study:
Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN.com

Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,743,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You've never had a very, very serious illness. No way can an average person work out a payment plan on a several hundred thousand dollar medical bill.
I have a kid with a brain tumor. We're on a high deductible plan. I understand the true cost of health care. I don't need Obama "protecting" me.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,258,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. 62% of bankruptcies were for medical reasons. Of those...75% of those folks had insurance. So yeah he is right. those were people who thought they were insured on a really inexpensive plan.

That didnt REALLY cover them.

That being said....he needs to step up and say "OK yeah a lot of plans went away on this, more then we were expecting, I was wrong when I said X"

Yes I voted for him, no I don't regret it. Get a moderate Republican up and I might vote for him. Huntsmen was good (yes I know you all hated him) and I might have voted for him. Romney was a freaking nightmare.
Obama admit that he misled Americans? When has he ever admitted he was wrong. It is so much easier to blame someone else.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM

15,559 posts, read 10,555,063 times
I may have a high deductible, however I have no yearly or lifetime limits. None, nada, I will never go bankrupt if the unthinkable happens. That is the main reason to have insurance imho. There were hundreds of policies out there, it sounds like some folks never sat down with an agent.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,743,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Your article says nothing about the people buying private individual policies, which is what Obamacare is getting cancelled.

But using the numbers in your article:

1.5 million bankrupticies

60% from medical bills- 900,000

75% with medical insurance- 675,000

Now we know some of them had insurance through their jobs, the article mentions that. So Obama just screwed up the insurance market for 14,000,000 people to maybe save a small percentage from bankruptcy.

The article also says that the average amount of bills bankrupted by those with insurance is $17,000. That's an amount most people can work through in a few years. Hell, that's the amount many people will face in higher insurance costs, deductibles, and copays through the Obamacare plans.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,051,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You don't know anything about me or my family.

Yes you can work out a payment plan if you want. Most don't want to do it because they have been told by democrats that nothing is fair and we owe them something.........our money basically...........so they go file for bankruptcy walk to the judge and get it all wiped. Now who do you think pays for that? I bet you don't care. I do because these folks are taking money from MY family who I work for to provide. It's gdam pathetic but you are all for it just like ever other liberal. You people pay for it if your so gung ho. Get your buddy Buffett to pay it all off. He can scream and moan about his secreteary but I've yet to see any transactions to the treasurey from his butt. You don't care about that either. As a matter of fact you liberals don't care much about anything except supporting your liar Obama anymore.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,051,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I may have a high deductible, however I have no yearly or lifetime limits. None, nada, I will never go bankrupt if the unthinkable happens. That is the main reason to have insurance imho. There were hundreds of policies out there, it sounds like some folks never sat down with an agent.
Oh so we are talking about insurance now and not healthcare? LOL There is a huge difference. Liberals can't understand that fact. Insurance companies like you though because the unthinkable doesn't happen often and even if it does they try and find a way to get out of paying. Watch the government in action when they have to start paying all these pre plans. Oh wait never mind it's not their money so they don't care.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,428,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Your article says nothing about the people buying private individual policies, which is what Obamacare is getting cancelled.

But using the numbers in your article:

1.5 million bankrupticies

60% from medical bills- 900,000

75% with medical insurance- 675,000

Now we know some of them had insurance through their jobs, the article mentions that. So Obama just screwed up the insurance market for 14,000,000 people to maybe save a small percentage from bankruptcy.

The article also says that the average amount of bills bankrupted by those with insurance is $17,000. That's an amount most people can work through in a few years. Hell, that's the amount many people will face in higher insurance costs, deductibles, and copays through the Obamacare plans.
675,00 by your estimation.....every year. year after year. I hope to live to be 80. Thats 54 million people in my lifetime. Those 14 million? The vast majority of them are going to pick a plan and keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies