Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

I think this thread proves once and for all that this truly isn't a left or right issue. That we can work together to finally get rid of the waste on BOTH sides of our government. Just how do we get the freaking politicians to do it now? Cut the waste in the entitlements... and the waste in defense.. and the waste period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The tax payer should be upset about any waste, fraud or abuse regardless of where it ranks. Part of what raises the ire in people is the arrogance and the entitlement mentality of those the media parades before us. These people the thread is about are an example of the stereotype many of us have come to loath. I refuse to hate on children, they are blameless. The parents however, the ones who refuse to behave in a responsible manner are deserving of what ever contempt they are shown. In this day and age birth control is no mystery.
Some of us detest all government waste and at all levels.
Yes, they should, but proportionality should rule right.

If you have a report that the Pentagon just WASTED 77billion, and there is another report that a program that mostly feeds children, the elderly, and the disabled and which costs 78billion total, and had maybe 222million of abuse, that the outrage of taxpayers would be directed at the pentagon, but no what you get is nothing to the pentagon and long moralizing posts about who deserves what directed at the poor people.

So much hate and scorn is not about the money or the fraud or the abuse.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't care about that women or her family or the news report or what people feel about them.

$800 a month for 5 people is $5.12 per day per person. That means each individual has $5 dollars to spend on food for the whole day. That is not a lot of money.

Also, we don't decide who qualifies for programs based on news reports and tv programs. We don't decide who gets to participate in other government programs based on if they have lived their lives a certain why and how we feel about their lives and if therefore would be deemed deserving by some subset of the American population.

We don't do this kind of irrational judgment of any other programs.

You either legally qualify for program and if you do you deserve it or you don't and thus you don't legally deserve it.

That is the standard, not this I don't like their lifestyle so.....

Well let's subject everyone who gets a government benefit to that same standard.
If you cant feed a family of 5 on $800 there is something wrong with you. I can make an entire meal last 2, sometimes 3 days. Not because we struggle (thankfully) but because I budget out the amount I spend on groceries and because I make meal plans. I am spending way too much money on groceries if I spend $800/mo.

What the hell are you buying if you cant live on $800 in groceries a month?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Guess what.......I DON"T CARE....what you think.
Ohhh, that hurts.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
This letter illustrates the hypocricy of the American Right:

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...p&rref=opinion

'During the food stamp debate, GOP Rep. Stephen Fincher, who received thousands in farm subsidies, responded to a Democratic Congressman during the debate over the cuts by quoting the bible, saying "the one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."

Fincher himself has received his own large share of government money. From 1999 to 2012, Stephen & Lynn Fincher Farms received $3,483,824 in agriculture subsidies. Last year he took in $70,574 alone.

Another Republican congresswoman who voted to make cuts to the food stamp program was Rep. Vicky Hartzler of Missouri. Her farm received more than $800,000 in Department of Agriculture subsidies from 1995-2012. In 2001, her farm received $135,482 in subsidies.

Rep. Kristi Noem of South Dakota, who also voted to make cuts to the program, was a partner in Racota Valley Ranch, her family's farm and previously had nearly a 17% stake through 2008. The farm received $3.4 million in subsidies from 1995-2012. The Environmental Working Group, which analyzes subsidy data, says the "estimated amount of subsidies attributed to Rep. Noem from 1995-2012 is $503,751."

Rep. Marlin Stutzman, a Republican Rep. from Indiana also received his fair share of government subsidies. He personally took in nearly $200,000 for the farm he co-owns with his father.

According to Stutzman the bill cutting food stamps by $39 billion over the next ten years "eliminates loopholes, ensures work requirements, and puts us on a fiscally responsible path."'

Sociopaths all.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Come on Iamme, then put your money where your mouth is and send that family the extra $44.00 a month!
Irrelevant.

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Let's remember that the food stamp program is just about 2% of the federal budget. The average person gets $133 per month or $4dollars per day to eat all day, so don't let conservatives lie and tell you it's about money and cost of government because they'd target other much more expensive programs.

No it is about conservatives sick idea that they sit in judgment of the benefits that other Americans get from our government that conservatives decide who is deserving or undeserving of help from our government.

conservatives never ask if they individually are deserving of what they get from the government.

conservatives never ask should other Americans sit in judgement of their government benefits based on some amorphous idea of who or is or isn't deserving.

conservatives are hateful people generally speaking. Any program that helps the poor is hated by conservatives and accused of being fraudulent and corrupt. It never fails. All of the programs that benefit the wealthy never a peep from conservatives. SMH.
EXACTLY right.

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
This letter illustrates the hypocricy of the American Right:

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...p&rref=opinion

'During the food stamp debate, GOP Rep. Stephen Fincher, who received thousands in farm subsidies, responded to a Democratic Congressman during the debate over the cuts by quoting the bible, saying "the one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."

Fincher himself has received his own large share of government money. From 1999 to 2012, Stephen & Lynn Fincher Farms received $3,483,824 in agriculture subsidies. Last year he took in $70,574 alone.

Another Republican congresswoman who voted to make cuts to the food stamp program was Rep. Vicky Hartzler of Missouri. Her farm received more than $800,000 in Department of Agriculture subsidies from 1995-2012. In 2001, her farm received $135,482 in subsidies.

Rep. Kristi Noem of South Dakota, who also voted to make cuts to the program, was a partner in Racota Valley Ranch, her family's farm and previously had nearly a 17% stake through 2008. The farm received $3.4 million in subsidies from 1995-2012. The Environmental Working Group, which analyzes subsidy data, says the "estimated amount of subsidies attributed to Rep. Noem from 1995-2012 is $503,751."

Rep. Marlin Stutzman, a Republican Rep. from Indiana also received his fair share of government subsidies. He personally took in nearly $200,000 for the farm he co-owns with his father.

According to Stutzman the bill cutting food stamps by $39 billion over the next ten years "eliminates loopholes, ensures work requirements, and puts us on a fiscally responsible path."'

Sociopaths all.
Do you have a comment relevant to the topic of the thread? Didn't think so.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, since when is pregnancy/motherhood a condition that excuses you from work? I worked up until my contractions were 2 minutes apart and got to take a whooping 6 weeks leave that I spent the previous 9 months preparing for.
If someone cant afford to feed themselves maybe they shouldn't be creating another mouth to feed.
This is the political disconnect in our country. Birth control and abortions should be free, to anyone. It is cheaper to prevent a child than to support one from a dead beat family.

I am all about personal choice and free will, but when you want government handouts, it is time to admit the choices you have are limited.

The EBT program is bloated, and basically written by powerful lobbyists for giant food manufacturers. If you need food, a government subsidy of approved, nutritious food should be available, based on USDA guidelines. With limits set on processed foods and meat.

I love how folks on EBT eat better than folks who work for a living.

As for working while pregnant, I worked until the kids kicked the door down. And even with a cesarean, was back to work in three weeks. If they can't get jobs, at least make community service a requirement.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is the political disconnect in our country. Birth control and abortions should be free, to anyone. It is cheaper to prevent a child than to support one from a dead beat family.

I am all about personal choice and free will, but when you want government handouts, it is time to admit the choices you have are limited.

The EBT program is bloated, and basically written by powerful lobbyists for giant food manufacturers. If you need food, a government subsidy of approved, nutritious food should be available, based on USDA guidelines. With limits set on processed foods and meat.

I love how folks on EBT eat better than folks who work for a living.

As for working while pregnant, I worked until the kids kicked the door down. And even with a cesarean, was back to work in three weeks. If they can't get jobs, at least make community service a requirement.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies