Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times

Advertisements

When I read the headline I felt bad for the family until I actually read the story:

"Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.
The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.
"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.

"Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon."

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps - Nov. 1, 2013

FOUR people in the household. None of them work. One pregnant woman. One who just had a kid.

As a single mother who worked until the week before my daughter was born and went back to work 2 weeks after a c-section I have no sympathy for these leeches. NONE. I had a very high risk pregnancy and was in and out of the hospital but I took my happy behind to work.

Two years later and I am still working AND going to school to give myself and my daughter a better life. Her father has refused to pay court ordered child support.

$800 for a family of 4?!! I spend about $150 a month for myself and my daughter... And I pay for it with my own money. I don't rely on governments assistance.

Millions of people in this country have no shame sitting back and expecting a handout. It has become a way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
See welfare people. OP is an example of it can be done.

Last edited by petch751; 11-01-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
They should have plenty of more money coming in from child support payments.

I'm for cutting their food stamps more but giving them free tubal ligations and vasectomies.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
I wonder if this story truly was supposed to invoke sympathy, or if it was/is a sendup designed to do the exact opposite.... exposing the very real (perhaps inevitable) problems with assistance programs.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It costs more than $61,000 a year to support the average welfare household. That's more than many working families live on.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
When I read the headline I felt bad for the family until I actually read the story:

"Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.
The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.
"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.

"Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon."

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps - Nov. 1, 2013

FOUR people in the household. None of them work. One pregnant woman. One who just had a kid.

As a single mother who worked until the week before my daughter was born and went back to work 2 weeks after a c-section I have no sympathy for these leeches. NONE. I had a very high risk pregnancy and was in and out of the hospital but I took my happy behind to work.

Two years later and I am still working AND going to school to give myself and my daughter a better life. Her father has refused to pay court ordered child support.

$800 for a family of 4?!! I spend about $150 a month for myself and my daughter... And I pay for it with my own money. I don't rely on governments assistance.

Millions of people in this country have no shame sitting back and expecting a handout. It has become a way of life.
They are exactly the kind of people conservatives keep complaining about. They are the very definition of the word "slacker". Disgusting. I would happily see my tax dollars go to permanently neuter these hideous people, but no, we just feed and encourage them.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,174 times
$800 a month? $200 a week for 4 people? They could eat nicely, considering that with 4 adults and a freezer you can benefit from bulk pricing and meal planning.

Please, please, please lets not have the organic snobs who believe grocery budgeting is inhumane not come in here and start screeching that they don't get enough. THEY DO.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
They're not in a position to work because they're new mothers, no mention of husbands and we are supposed to feed them. Heck no cut them all off.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I'm for cutting their food stamps more but giving them free tubal ligations and vasectomies.
Unlikely. In these types of situations the baby daddies are often deadbeats or don't have 2 nickles to rub together.

I have a relative with 3 baby daddies.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

So much for the ideology that believes in individual free choice and liberty. I guess poor people don't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies