Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Opinion: An Obama voter's cry of despair - CNN.com

Quote:
My classmates cried with joy, and my parents saved every newspaper they could find. A young team of visionaries was headed for the White House, and the nation was ready for change. During Obama's transition to office in 2008, he had an 82% approval rating. There was something in the air.

And then I close the book. Cutting to the present is a rude awakening, like snapping out of a dream. It's hard to remember those days of optimism -- they seem a distant memory, a sad reminder of opportunities gone by. Change indeed happened, in the years since I cast my first ballot. It was simply nothing I could have imagined.
There's something surreal about someone who is in med school, but cannot understand that his "joy" at the election was empty and meaningless. He did nothing, there was nothing to celebrate, and the man he was caught up in was nothing.

All 5 years later, and he still cannot grasp it. Though the evidence in front of him is overwhelming - and he is supposed to be learning to read evidence to make rational decisions... he simply cannot get out of his own way and understand this fantasy he was wrapped up in had zero substance.

Before the election, Obama was described by people who knew him, as "a blank canvas on which people painted their own hopes and dreams". The true description of an 'empty suit'. The author is at Harvard Medical School. Yet, has learned precisely nothing about reading evidence to find reality. And more, hasn't yet grasped the difference between his own fantasy and the reality displayed right in front of him.

Obama specifically targeted young and idealistic people. They lack the life experience to discern the difference between Utopian fantasy and reality. But someone who is a student at Harvard, being this naive? One has to fear for the future. By the time I was 25 I had seriously recognized that there was a vast gulf between idealistic leftists and reality. It took me some time to come to grips with it and realize the depths it pervaded society. So, perhaps there's hope for him yet. Perhaps not. Look at all the defenders of Obama and his senseless schemes. Sure, some of them could be young and ignorant. What, exactly, are the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
If I was a Republican drinker of the kool aid who believed erroneous things like liberalism and fascism were synonymous, and I was watching my party fight a losing battle against a demographic shift that would force them to either move to the center or face national irrelevancy within the next 20 years, I'd probably despair too. But don't despair, or go ahead and despair, I don't really care how you feel about it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
If I was a Republican drinker of the kool aid who believed erroneous things like liberalism and fascism were synonymous, and I was watching my party fight a losing battle against a demographic shift that would force them to either move to the center or face national irrelevancy within the next 20 years, I'd probably despair too. But don't despair, or go ahead and despair, I don't really care how you feel about it.
I think your 20 year estimation is bit too kind, at least I hope for the nation's sake that it is.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Funny... YOu don't understand what you claim to believe. That's a common trait among the liberals...

Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think your 20 year estimation is bit too kind, at least I hope for the nation's sake that it is.
So, you're saying that Obama's still what you fantasize him to be.

What would that be? And what are the fools that voted for him and continue to fawn over him? Wise or ???

Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
My classmates cried with joy, and my parents saved every newspaper they could find. A young team of visionaries was headed for the White House, and the nation was ready for change. During Obama's transition to office in 2008, he had an 82% approval rating. There was something in the air.

And then I close the book. Cutting to the present is a rude awakening, like snapping out of a dream. It's hard to remember those days of optimism -- they seem a distant memory, a sad reminder of opportunities gone by. Change indeed happened, in the years since I cast my first ballot. It was simply nothing I could have imagined.
They were warned. They did not wish to listen. Kind of like some of the more fanatical supporters today who refuse to take off the blinders and SEE.

Their stupidity got us in to this mess. I knew it was coming, many people knew it was coming, but some fools just don't listen. The President is NOT a rock star. Now they pay for being twits. I do not feel sorry for them. I really don't care if it hurts their pocket books. I really don't care how "let down" or "disappointed" they are. I really don't care if reality is a harsh mistress, and she smacked them upside the head nice and hard. They got what they voted for because they did not listen. Too bad, deal with it. The rest of us have been for six, fricken years.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Funny... YOu don't understand what you claim to believe. That's a common trait among the liberals...
He's good at proclaiming what he believes to be as fact. That's another common trait among liberals.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
He's good at proclaiming what he believes to be as fact. That's another common trait among liberals.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They got what they voted for because they did not listen. Too bad, deal with it. The rest of us have been for six, fricken years.
And unfortunately, their going to take us all down with them.. that's what is so darn frustrating. It makes me nauseous to sit here and listen to all this drivel, knowing that it's my kids and grandkids that are going to end up paying for this mess in the long run.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Idiot sentiments from the Right ignore GOP free fall

President Obama today got the top Al-Qaeda leader with a drone strike. He didn't spend a trillion dollars, dumping bomb and bomb on abandoned villages, sending thousands of American soldiers to their death like your Republican Bush did. Worthless, ineffective Republican president you Pubs put there. You Pubs have been embarrassing yourselves with this negative narrative. It's stupid, which is why you are in a free fall. Get a clue.

President Obama is a great President, the greatest. He is a black man, meaning that he had to travel further and over a much harder course to get here. He was given the worst mess in the history of this nation, courtesy of Republican Bush, the worst president in history. Bush sent every domestic category into crisis mode, and decimated the hell out of the economy. The rich got richer while everyone else went to hell. Not only did he screw up the domestic agenda, but his foreign policy was lousy. The world is a far more dangerous place because of the Neanderthal diplomacy of the village idiot.

It gets worse though. The GOP significantly downgraded itself from its low perch with the tea party. The Republicans in Congress created the Congress from Hell. Worst Congress in history because of Republicans. You Pubs can't get away from the fact that without your obstructionist tactics, President Obama would be far more successful than he already is.

What you need to despair about is the future of the GOP. It is NOT looking good...and don't you forget it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies