Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 10,357 times

Advertisements

I'm a contractor that's been in many homes and it seems over the years that American families have become filthy & disgusting! I swear I've gone into some homes that I felt as though I was entering Freddy Krueger's dungeon!

The worst culprits are the university educated. Some of the nastiest homes I've been in, were teachers & professors.

I honeslty believe, some of these folks believe it's beneath them to actually clean up after themselves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder56 View Post
I'm a contractor that's been in many homes and it seems over the years that American families have become filthy & disgusting! I swear I've gone into some homes that I felt as though I was entering Freddy Krueger's dungeon!

The worst culprits are the university educated. Some of the nastiest homes I've been in, were teachers & professors.

I honeslty believe, some of these folks believe it's beneath them to actually clean up after themselves.
I have noticed that people in middle class to higher socioeconomic status are less committed to spotless homes than they used to be. For instance, once upon a time you couldn't walk in a military officer's home that wasn't at least extremely neat, and mostly they were fairly near model worthy clean, and that pretty much remains true for the homes of officer's with older wives. However, it seems that the younger the wife, the less that holds true. I say wives because the homes with male military spouses are seldom what I would classify as very neat or clean.

I think it has to do with a number of things. One, there are less stay-at-home wives. Families with two working adults, especially with a couple of kids, simply don't have the time or energy to clean all the time. Something has to give and it's easier to ignore the house than anything else. Two, there is less emphasis on having a spotless home and far less stigma with having a messy one. In the last decade I have been invited to more and more homes that I would have been embarrassed to let anyone through the door were it mine. Three, there are less people willing to clean others' homes, and even if they do, they charge proportionally more than they used to. Four, women are no longer willing to be held solely responsible for cleaning the home, nor are they willing to be judged on their housekeeping skills. Five, homes have gotten physically bigger - more work to clean, easier to accumulate junk. Six, we have a lot more stuff now and it sits around cluttering up the house. Seven, we entertain less at home, so we don't have that to inspire a massive, deep cleaning. Finally, you and I are on here "chatting" instead of doing home associated chores, I doubt we are alone.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
I think it has to do with a number of things. One, there are less stay-at-home wives. Families with two working adults, especially with a couple of kids, simply don't have the time or energy to clean all the time. Something has to give and it's easier to ignore the house than anthing else. Two, there is less emphasis on having a spotless home and far less stigma with having a messy one. In the last decade I have been invited to more and more homes that I would have been embarrassed to let through the door were it mine. Three, there are less people willing to clean others' homes, and even if they do, they charge proportionally more than they used to. Four, women are no longer willing to be held solely responsible for cleaning the home. Five, homes have gotten physically bigger - more work to clean, easier to accumulate junk. Six, we have a lot more stuff now and it sits around cluttering up the house.
All of these things contribute. And add in the economy, with people working two or more jobs, or longer hours at their single job to cover for colleagues who were laid off.

Also, I'm not entirely against the new concept that spending time with your children is more important than a spotless home.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder56 View Post

Another dig at the college educated. Why all the dislike for college grads?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
I think it's mental issues myself. Some people live with depression or other issues they cover up in public but at their home you can see it. I've worked in the public utility business for 30 years and have been in many homes over the years that would make you gag at the smell and disgusted by what you see. There doesn't really seem to be a pattern of people that I can see, but there are always mental issues there.

I have a brother who is a professor of physics for a prestigious university and has been for 40+ years. I'm sure he's making a lot of money. He lives in an 1800 sq ft home with 30 year old furniture and sits and eats his dinner on a TV tray every night and smokes his cigarettes and drinks his beer. His house is a disaster.

Believe me, he doesn't feel "above" anyone or anything.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
We all have too much stuff now. I have a constant battle to purge things, and I hardly buy anything anymore. I remember growing up in the 50s and we had a lot fewer clothes and everything had its place.

Also, we children were forced to keep our rooms fairly neat, and beds were made every day. Now, I notice some people don't even have a full set of sheets on the bed, just ratty old comforters.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Also, we children were forced to keep our rooms fairly neat, and beds were made every day.
How was it that I forgot to add that parents are less likely to make their kids do chores? Besides not teaching them good work habits, this means kids are not taught how to do a particular chore - such as making beds or cleaning an oven. In the house we bought last year, I swear the oven was probably never cleaned the entire 5 years the previous owners lived there.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How was it that I forgot to add that parents are less likely to make their kids do chores? Besides not teaching them good work habits, this means kids are not taught how to do a particular chore - such as making beds or cleaning an oven. In the house we bought last year, I swear the oven was probably never cleaned the entire 5 years the previous owners lived there.
You just reminded me of my son. When he was little we told him that for his chores each week, he'd get an allowance. He complained that it wasn't enough allowance and that, "He wasn't going to do anything then." He learned a valuable lesson... He ended up doing the chores anyway... with NO allowance... LOLOL

Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
If no one is home, why are the houses so dirty?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If no one is home, why are the houses so dirty?
It's the same mystical force that removes one of the socks from the dryer.... It just is.

We can leave to go on a job for six months with the house in perfect order. Come back.. It looks like crap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies