Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US legalize gay marriage by the end of the year?
I'm a Republican, and NO we should not 15 9.87%
I'm a Republican, and YES we should, even if we don't get anything in exchange 6 3.95%
I'm a Republican, and YES we should, only if we get at least one of our goals passed along with it 4 2.63%
I'm a Democrat, and NO we should not 9 5.92%
I'm a Democrat, and YES we should 48 31.58%
I'm an Independent, and NO we should not 19 12.50%
I'm an Independent, and YES we should 45 29.61%
I don't care, share the cheetoos and chicken nuggets man! 6 3.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
sorry, sir, your rant is just foolish.
I have been through divorce. TWICE! Yes, in a way both were rather funny. Sad, too, of course.
However, THAT is not the point of my post!
For years, we heard homosexuals say that they were in committed relationships more so than heteros, and they should be allowed to marry just like heteros.
So, now, in some areas, homosexual marriages are allowed.
What has been the result of some of those marriages?
DIVORCE!
It would appear that the commitment actually WASN'T any stronger that a hetero commitment!
THAT is what is hilarious!
AND, of course, the fact that they can no longer just split the sheets and go their separate ways, they have to go through the legal hassle just like the rest of us!
THAT, too, is hilarious!
The actual divorce hilarious? No, not so much.
"Be careful what you wish for, you just might GET IT!"
Did you not realize that homosexuals are just regular, everyday, people? We have the same human limitations as everyone else. Just like heterosexual relationships, some will fail some will thrive. Some homosexuals will make bad choices in a spouse, just like some heterosexuals will make a bad choice in a spouse. Some same sex couples will grow apart, just like some heterosexual couples will grow apart.

That is the point. We are just humans, and deserving of the same legal rights and protections that heterosexual couples have.

In the end some couples will stay together, some will divorce, some will never get legally married, Just like heterosexual couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did you not realize that homosexuals are just regular, everyday, people? We have the same human limitations as everyone else. Just like heterosexual relationships, some will fail some will thrive. Some homosexuals will make bad choices in a spouse, just like some heterosexuals will make a bad choice in a spouse. Some same sex couples will grow apart, just like some heterosexual couples will grow apart.

That is the point. We are just humans, and deserving of the same legal rights and protections that heterosexual couples have.

In the end some couples will stay together, some will divorce, some will never get legally married, Just like heterosexual couples.
Yes, yes, I totally understand that.
However, you are still missing the point.
It is hilarious to me that a couple that has been living together for 10, 20, or 30 years, but was unable to marry, suddenly IS able to marry, and does so, then a year or so later has to get a DIVORCE, apparently because one (or both) of them couldn't stand the total commitment that marriage entails!
THAT is hilarious, IMO!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:
sorry, sir, your rant is just foolish.
I have been through divorce. TWICE! Yes, in a way both were rather funny. Sad, too, of course.
However, THAT is not the point of my post!
For years, we heard homosexuals say that they were in committed relationships more so than heteros, and they should be allowed to marry just like heteros.
So, now, in some areas, homosexual marriages are allowed.
What has been the result of some of those marriages?
DIVORCE!
It would appear that the commitment actually WASN'T any stronger that a hetero commitment!
THAT is what is hilarious!
AND, of course, the fact that they can no longer just split the sheets and go their separate ways, they have to go through the legal hassle just like the rest of us!
THAT, too, is hilarious!
The actual divorce hilarious? No, not so much.
"Be careful what you wish for, you just might GET IT!"
The statistics deny your assumptions.

United States

As of 2011, for states with available data, the dissolution rate of same-sex couples is about half that of different-sex couples. The percentage of those same-sex couples who end their legal relationship is 1.1% per year, while 2% of married different-sex couples divorce annually.

United Kingdom

The divorce rate of same-sex couples within 30 months of the introduction of legally binding civil partnerships was slightly less than one percent in the United Kingdom.

Denmark

As of 1997, the same-sex partnership divorce rate was significantly lower than that of heterosexual couples in Denmark. The vast majority of gay marriages in Denmark are male-male, and only 14 percent of these end in divorce, compared to 23 percent of female marriages. The higher rate for lesbians is consistent with data showing that women initiate most of the heterosexual divorces in Denmark

Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM

544 posts, read 610,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The statistics deny your assumptions.

Probably because a way higher % of gay married couples allow for open relationships than do straight married couple. Duh.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
"As of 2011, for states with available data, the dissolution rate of same-sex couples is about half that of different-sex couples. The percentage of those same-sex couples who end their legal relationship is 1.1% per year, while 2% of married different-sex couples divorce annually."

Where did I say anything about the NUMBER of homosexual marriage dissolutions?
When a couple has been living together for many years, then finally can get married, and does so, then gets a divorce within a year or so, IMO that if FUNNY!
Y'know, it really doesn't matter if said couple is homosexual or heterosexual, what makes it funny is the fact that they could live together for years with no trouble, but when the arrangement becomes a total commitment, they apparently can't stand to live together anymore!
THAT is funny, even if said couple is only one in a million!
Of course, it also gives the lie to the old saw about "We are going to live together for a few years to ensure we are compatible before making it permanent." It just ain't necessarily so!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I am a bigot how exactly? because I don't believe marriage should have financial benefits for anyone?
Even when it comes to inheritance taxes, social security death benefit or immigration? Bet you would not find many heterosexual married couples to go along with that, so not even worth the discussion.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Probably because a way higher % of gay married couples allow for open relationships than do straight married couple. Duh.
Do you have evidence for that?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
"As of 2011, for states with available data, the dissolution rate of same-sex couples is about half that of different-sex couples. The percentage of those same-sex couples who end their legal relationship is 1.1% per year, while 2% of married different-sex couples divorce annually."

Where did I say anything about the NUMBER of homosexual marriage dissolutions?
When a couple has been living together for many years, then finally can get married, and does so, then gets a divorce within a year or so, IMO that if FUNNY!
Y'know, it really doesn't matter if said couple is homosexual or heterosexual, what makes it funny is the fact that they could live together for years with no trouble, but when the arrangement becomes a total commitment, they apparently can't stand to live together anymore!
THAT is funny, even if said couple is only one in a million!
Of course, it also gives the lie to the old saw about "We are going to live together for a few years to ensure we are compatible before making it permanent." It just ain't necessarily so!
You make no sense at all, I guess that is because these are only your opinions and not fact based.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM

544 posts, read 610,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you have evidence for that?

Evidence for common knowledge? Let's give some professors a $50 million dollar grant so they can research it like they did for why college people like to drink/party.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Evidence for common knowledge? Let's give some professors a $50 million dollar grant so they can research it like they did for why college people like to drink/party.
What common knowledge? I am a member of the equality org in Mississippi. None of the members are in open relationships. No one I know, IRL, is in an open relationship. Online I know some heterosexuals, and homosexuals, that say they are in open relationships, but even then they are in the minority. Your "common knowledge" has no basis in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies