Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post

I kinda feel bad for the female recruits that did pass. All that hard work and they could've just pulled the lady card. Now their fellow firefighters will wonder what corners might have been cut to get them on the force.
Exactly. This crap affects more people than just her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,268 times
Yet another example of feelings and emotions topping common sense and safety. Lets hope that this woman is kept out of situations where she could endanger the pubic or other firefighters.

But what about me?

I really wanted to be an NFL runningback but unfortunately I wasn't big enough, fast enough or talented enough. Not making it to the pros really made me sad and hurt my self esteem. In the interest of fairness can we make some NFL team sign me to a multi million dollar contract AND allow me to play? Oh, and to ensure my feelings don't get hurt (or my body) it would only be fair to make the defensive players have to start each play lying on the ground with their eyes closed. Since they were unfairly blessed with superior size, speed and athletic ability this is only fair.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Why can't women aspire to do natural women's work - like raising children, being an executive leader's right hand lady, or a nurse?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Women can be pretty much anything a man can be. Most jobs doesn't require body strength. But I agree that certain jobs are not meant for women. Fire fighters or combat soldiers for instance. But I also don't think we should discriminate based on sex. However, the test standards for these lines of work should be the same, no exceptions. If this mean running 1 mile in 5 minute or doing 50 pushups in i minute or carrying 180 pounds down 3 flights of stairs.... that's what that mean. Plenty of guys can't do these things either....

Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
I bet she and her family are so proud. They had to lower their requirements into the basement to get her in. Way to go girl. Even her fellow firefighters won't respect her. Sad sad sad. And for what? I doubt there's a shortage of highly qualified people who would have excelled if given her spot.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why can't women aspire to do natural women's work - like raising children, being an executive leader's right hand lady, or a nurse?
They do.

[why be limited to it, though?]

Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
The idea of artificially inflating the number of female firefighters through quotas came up when Ed Koch was mayor. He said that he didn't care if firefighters were male of female "as long as they can carry a 180 lb. mayor out of a burning building". This really sums up the problem with subjugating common sense and public safety to political correctness and an abstract notion of fairness.

To begin with, this is unfair to those firefighters--male and female--who did meet the necessary requirements. Secondly, anyone with whom she works will be in a position of constantly wondering whether or not she "has their back" in an emergency. As a result, their work as well may be negatively affected. Lastly, this is simply a public safety fail. Whether we're talking about civilian police and fire forces or the military, the public has right to be assured that the most highly-qualified individuals are working on our behalf.

Those women who can compete with men physically should never be denied the right to do so. However, the simple reality is that, barring centuries of evolution, a woman will never have the same size, strength, endurance, aggression, or lung capacity of an equally-conditioned man--and in endeavors where those are absolutely vital qualities for effective performance, the number of qualified women will never reach parity with men.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I don't believe most of the the fire/emt guys I see and know can run to the end of a sandwich let alone 1.5 miles.

Strange.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Stan, an 8 minute mile is nothing. Im 8 months pregnant and I can almost pull that off.lol

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-11-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
Is there anybody that agrees that she should get the job? Any right or left winger. If you do, I hope when your house is burning, she is the one that has to get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies