Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Liberals don't hate the 1%. They just think the 1% should pay more taxes and that policies should be formed to limit income inequality.
Regardless of the distribution there will always be a top 1%. You will always have someone to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A Model T with zero modern features in 1913 cost $550 or $13K in 2013...

A Hummer fully loaded with XM radio, power steering etc costs $54K...

We are being ripped off, we are being destroyed...look at that massive inflation!!! It costs so much more to get the exact same product - a automobile!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You are not being "ripped off" unless you believe America is the only country on Earth.
Just pointing out that it is either naive or ignorant for the other poster to compare the average house in 1960 to the average house in 2013.

The average house built in 2013 is double the size of the average house built back then...with more amenities too. The fact that the product has gotten 'better' should be looked at when comparing the average price from one era to another era....especially with more and more McMansions.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
More vacuous rationalization for being unable to craft a legitimate response to moral repudiation of perspectives that you prefer. Please try expressing a moral thought in your next reply, rather than just self-serving avaricious claptrap, so it too won't be vacuous.

Your post that I originally commented on was nothing but the same old left wing crybaby nonsense that people like you have been mewling out ad nauseum for years....
Blaming all the ills of society on GWB and those evil, rich, right wing republicans, when the fact of the matter is that both sides of the political spectrum have done their share of wiping their ass with the Constitution for their own political gain.
Current events have only shown beyond all doubt that he Left has taken that concept and put it on steroids.

I do not need to craft a thoughtful "repudiation" for such nonsense because it's nothing but worn out, recycled talking points that I could hear from any Progressive talking Parrot on any given day.

My Dad had a saying that fits you to a T:

"Using a ten dollar word to convey a two dollar thought does not make it worth twelve bucks."

Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Why is it that everyone who whines about the 1% never have a grasp of economics/tax code/reality?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is it that everyone who whines about the 1% never have a grasp of economics/tax code/reality?
Because they are BOMBARDED with manipulative propaganda, the intention of which is to only sustain the status quo. It takes critical thinking to break out of the groupthink. Too many people are comfortable thinking what they're told to think instead of doing the hard work of questioning the system.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Sorry for the awkward grammar-deficient sentence above.

Yes, Informed. I find that when we deal with many complex issues, most people prefer to be spoonfed.
Whether it is spoonfed morality from their religious group or spoonfed sociology, psychology, political views, etc.

It does take all that pesky thinking out of it.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Your post that I originally commented on was nothing but the same old left wing crybaby nonsense that people like you have been mewling out ad nauseum for years....
Blaming all the ills of society on GWB and those evil, rich, right wing republicans, when the fact of the matter is that both sides of the political spectrum have done their share of wiping their ass with the Constitution for their own political gain.
Current events have only shown beyond all doubt that he Left has taken that concept and put it on steroids.

I do not need to craft a thoughtful "repudiation" for such nonsense because it's nothing but worn out, recycled talking points that I could hear from any Progressive talking Parrot on any given day.

My Dad had a saying that fits you to a T:

"Using a ten dollar word to convey a two dollar thought does not make it worth twelve bucks."
I most definitely agree with the bold.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Highly doubtful. We know from IRS reports that the top 5% of filers, roughly 7 million, are subsidizing over 300 million people to a very significant extent:
Are you suggesting that I receive government assistance of some sort? That because I'm middle class, I must receive some sort of welfare or free healthcare program or foodstamps or something? That would be rich.

Or are you simply implying that because I'm not a 5%er, and that I may not pay as much as they might, that I'm somehow a mooch?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Are you suggesting that I receive government assistance of some sort?

Or are you simply implying that because I'm not a 5%er, and that I may not pay as much as they might, that I'm somehow a mooch?
Yes to both. If you're not paying as much as a 5%er, you know darn well you're not paying your fair share. That means you're subsidized by others and/or the increase in the national debt. Everyone who doesn't pay their fair share is contributing to plunging our country even further into debt, which causes an even greater expense every year to service that debt.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:39 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes to both. If you're not paying as much as a 5%er, you know darn well you're not paying your fair share. That means you're subsidized by others and/or the increase in the national debt. Everyone who doesn't pay their fair share is contributing to plunging our country even further into debt, which causes an even greater expense every year to service that debt.
Excellent...tell me, please, what type of government assistance I receive. Which is it? Foodstamps? Medicaid? Housing assistance? Please, enlighten me as to what I receive.

And also, please tell me how much a self-employed individual making approximately $75k should pay.

Sorry, bud...but it will never be 100% fair. You will never see the rich paying less than the poor. It won't happen.

And let's be clear on the "fair share"...incomes up there are completely jacked and not even close to a representation of what is actually offered. Fair share can just go off the table.

Last edited by samiwas1; 11-16-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies