Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 PM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm pretty sure you knew that my "that's not a fact" wasn't referring to your section above, but to your insinuation that government tries to keep people poor so that they can tax the rich more and gain the votes of poor people.
How is that not what happens?

Quote:
And you are saying that the income equality is based solely on their taxation system, even though their rich are taxed far, far higher than they are here?
Everyone is taxed far higher than we are here. The point is that the taxes are not progressive. That eliminates any incentive to promote a wide income gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
that is what stalin said, then after he put most of the opposition to death or in prison, he pocketed the money himself.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is that not what happens?
Can you find me a quote anywhere, from any politician, that says that they work to purposely keep people poor for their votes? Or are you just so smart, that you know that's what's happening?

I find it hard to believe that is the only thing that you can come up with. I can come up with stuff too. They do it so cherry coke costs less!!! How could it NOT be??

Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 PM

275 posts, read 193,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bingo.
5 years later Obamas followers are still running on that hopy changy thing and they are getting screwed.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

275 posts, read 193,233 times
Quote:
Can you find me a quote anywhere, from any politician, that says that they work to purposely keep people poor for their votes? Or are you just so smart, that you know that's what's happening?

I find it hard to believe that is the only thing that you can come up with. I can come up with stuff too. They do it so cherry coke costs less!!! How could it NOT be??
Democrats get the poverty vote by offering all kinds of programs for poor people and the middle class smile while they get screwed.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
Democrats get the poverty vote by offering all kinds of programs for poor people and the middle class smile while they get screwed.

Oh, please! What crap. PROVE that Obama gets the "poverty" vote. Last time I voted, no one asked me about my income level, nor have I ever been asked about my income level when I voted nor when I first registered to vote.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe there are not a LOT of dirt poor rednecks out there voting Republican for stuff like "gun rights" and giving the rich more tax breaks, voting totally against their own best interests because they seem to think rather simplistically or they're paranoid?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Can you find me a quote anywhere, from any politician, that says that they work to purposely keep people poor for their votes?
How would a quote matter? Obama lied about people being able to keep their insurance plans and doctors if they liked them for more than 3 years. So did many other Dems. What makes you think they would ever be honest about anything they do that's detrimental to their constituents?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
5 years later Obamas followers are still running on that hopy changy thing and they are getting screwed.
And apparently too stupid to realize it.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Oh, please! What crap. PROVE that Obama gets the "poverty" vote.
A lot of this has been posted many, many times. How are you not aware of voter demographics? And it's not just Obama. Democrats in general get the poverty vote.

2012 election:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...0vs%20Vote.png

The largest difference in D vs. R votes in either favor is in the no/low-income group's votes for a Democrat.

Historically, look at party identification by income level in the chart at the bottom here. Low-income identify as Democrats by an over 2 to 1 margin:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Given that, why would the Dems want to shrink their voter base by lifting people out of poverty? Of course, they wouldn't. Strategically, that would be a mistake that would cost them significant amounts of political power.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-18-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
The left wing tripe that you obviously copied and pasted made it infinitely clear that any thoughtful, logical response would have been be completely wasted on you.
More vacuous rationalization for being unable to craft a legitimate response to moral repudiation of perspectives that you prefer. Please try expressing a moral thought in your next reply, rather than just self-serving avaricious claptrap, so it too won't be vacuous.

Quote:
But, you seem to like trying to play the same game of adding a little word in to make the numbers look better than they are. You keep saying that almost all wages have gone up, but the average is weighed down. So basically we have many more people making worse wages than before enough to bring down the number of rising wages of "individuals". THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING. This does not paint the rosy picture you seem to think it does. Yet some people are dumb enough to believe it.
Deception regarding the impact of the doubling of economic injustice in a generation is standard modus operandi for the right-wing.

Quote:
I don't know how you can possibly be dense enough to not see that.
I doubt anyone is "dense" enough not to "see" that. Rather, it's a matter of ignoring it to stay on-message to best defend the indefensible right-wing perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies