Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times

Advertisements

McDonald's recently declared that there will be company wide raises of $1, along with increased vacation time and educational opportunities for their employees. Still, in Detroit they're marching and protesting (again), because they want moooooore (again).

Fast Food Workers Continue To Protest After A ‘Weak’ Raise, Demand $15 An Hour And A Union « CBS Detroit

A choice quote from the article:

Quote:
“If we want people to stop selling drugs, stop murdering, robbing, raping and killing … then we have to pay them something to keep them vitalized and civilized,” added Rev. Rideout III.
Let that sink in for a moment.

I think this is a very enlightening quote and provides some perspective on the way that liberals -- or more specifically -- the people of Detroit think. The people themselves are not to blame for acting our their violent urges... no, it's McDonald's for not paying $15 an hour for entry level, low skill work. The fact that this quote is coming from a spiritual leader of the community is just... incredible.

I'm sure the "increased educational opportunities" offer from McDonald's went straight into one ear and out the other for these people. You can lead a horse to water, and so on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
With certain minorities its all about gimme, gimme, gimme.

They deserve nothing unless they work for it.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Their way of thinking is just so hopeless and self-defeating. I've worked several jobs, and never at any point have I felt compelled to demand anything from my employers. I keep my head down and do a decent job, and usually opportunities follow. If they don't, I move elsewhere and make them for myself. Isn't that how normal people act?

But in places like Detroit, it's always about demanding more. I've found if you do a good job, you don't need to demand anything, people are more than happy to pay you for your service or skills. I don't understand why these people can't figure that out for themselves? Or they just don't care?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
The thing about this is the protests are largely about the fact that none of the McDonald's franchises are increasing wages. The company owned stores are. Most (90%) of the McDonald's are franchised.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
“If we want people to stop selling drugs, stop murdering, robbing, raping and killing … then we have to pay them something to keep them vitalized and civilized,” added Rev. Rideout III.

Sounds like extortion. Extortion is the crime of obtaining money or property by threat to a victim's property or loved ones, intimidation, or false claim of a right.

Extortion - FindLaw

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
McDonald's recently declared that there will be company wide raises of $1, along with increased vacation time and educational opportunities for their employees. Still, in Detroit they're marching and protesting (again), because they want moooooore (again).
Yay, they went from $8.15 / hour to $9.15 / hour. That will sure change a lot.

Quote:
A choice quote from the article:
Let that sink in for a moment.
It sunk in. If they could earn a decent wage, they wouldn't be in destitute. Poverty causes crime. It's not caused by ideology, race, or any of the other asinine accusations.

Quote:
I think this is a very enlightening quote and provides some perspective on the way that liberals -- or more specifically -- the people of Detroit think. The people themselves are not to blame for acting our their violent urges... no, it's McDonald's for not paying $15 an hour for entry level, low skill work. The fact that this quote is coming from a spiritual leader of the community is just... incredible.
Unbelievable. The problem is this shallow thinking. We need to do a better job of educating in this country.

People are not compelled to have violent urges. Babies don't come out of the womb violent. Violence comes from desperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

The bigotry argument. So, this is just a black thing, huh?

Quote:
Their way of thinking is just so hopeless and self-defeating. I've worked several jobs, and never at any point have I felt compelled to demand anything from my employers. I keep my head down and do a decent job, and usually opportunities follow. If they don't, I move elsewhere and make them for myself. Isn't that how normal people act?

But in places like Detroit, it's always about demanding more. I've found if you do a good job, you don't need to demand anything, people are more than happy to pay you for your service or skills. I don't understand why these people can't figure that out for themselves? Or they just don't care?
Of course its about demanding more. $9.15 / hour isn't enough to live in Detroit. For every person that can't make it, a taxpayer will have to subsidize them.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:26 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

It sunk in. If they could earn a decent wage, they wouldn't be in destitute. Poverty causes crime. It's not caused by ideology, race, or any of the other asinine accusations.

Unbelievable. The problem is this shallow thinking. We need to do a better job of educating in this country.

People are not compelled to have violent urges. Babies don't come out of the womb violent. Violence comes from desperation.

Of course its about demanding more. $9.15 / hour isn't enough to live in Detroit. For every person that can't make it, a taxpayer will have to subsidize them.
If 9.15 an hour isn't enough, then work more hours or get a better job.

How about people take responsibility for their lot in life. If they want more for themselves go out and earn it like the rest of Americans.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
A better job awaits you in the Obot economy. That's what the Secretary of Commerce was spouting on CNN this morning.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If 9.15 an hour isn't enough, then work more hours or get a better job.

How about people take responsibility for their lot in life. If they want more for themselves go out and earn it like the rest of Americans.
Novel concept for some in this country

Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

You can buy a 4bd/2ba house in Detroit for $150. That's less than one weeks pay.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...I/beds-4/sby-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies