Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How do you distinguish the good from the bad relative to open carry, I was watching the clips on the JFK assassination and didn't notice any open carry in Dallas, maybe times have changed.
As I had said before a criminal will generally not open carry, they are cowards, they don't want to get caught, they usually only pull a firearm just before they intend to do their evil deed.

If you stay away from areas that criminals hang out at chances are a person with a visible firearm means no harm.

As I have stated before here in Alaska, and even in No. Cal where I grew up, it is not unusual to see people walking down the street with an open carry firearm. It depends where you are.

I have also been in Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, and Utah and have seen open carry both handguns and long guns it never freaked me out. I had on many occasions struck up a conversation with the person carrying because they had a firearm that interested me.

There have been times here in Anchorage, remember Anchorage has nearly 300,000 people so it's not a small town, when I have talked to people that were carrying a rifle in a parking lot and even held the rifle they were carrying. The owner even told me to squeeze the trigger, in a safe direction of course, so that I could feel how good the trigger felt.

I guess I can understand some peoples fear of firearms depending on how and where they were raised and where they live. What is that saying? You fear what you don't understand. I guess some people will never or choose to never understand.

Situational awareness is a real thing. Read the link you might learn something.

States of Awareness - The Cooper Color Codes

Situational Awareness also applies when my family is on an outdoor adventure. It maybe modified somewhat but we still use it.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
The agenda of this group and many proponents of open carry where legal, is to get people used to seeing legal firearms in public. When people witness the commonplace of these legally carried guns often enough, they will stop freaking out and realize that they are not a threat to them. By using situational awareness people will recognize the difference between criminals and law abiding citizens who legally carry.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The agenda of this group and many proponents of open carry where legal, is to get people used to seeing legal firearms in public. When people witness the commonplace of these legally carried guns often enough, they will stop freaking out and realize that they are not a threat to them. By using situational awareness people will recognize the difference between criminals and law abiding citizens who legally carry.
That is what I have been trying to say. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Can you tell us how we can know who is legally brandishing a weapon in public and who is not? Certainly you don't contend that any group of men brandishing guns in public must be carrying legally, correct?

I myself favor open carry and no concealed carry. Very quickly, most businesses would prohibit anyone open carrying and banish anyone openly carrying guns into businesses. This happened at our local Walmart when a gun fondler thought it a good idea to openly carry his pistol. Far from what you predict, it will turn you folks into social pariahs who would have an incredibly limited number of private businesses willing to let you carry your guns into their businesses.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Can you tell us how we can know who is legally brandishing a weapon in public and who is not? Certainly you don't contend that any group of men brandishing guns in public must be carrying legally, correct?

I myself favor open carry and no concealed carry. Very quickly, most businesses would prohibit anyone open carrying and banish anyone openly carrying guns into businesses. This happened at our local Walmart when a gun fondler thought it a good idea to openly carry his pistol. Far from what you predict, it will turn you folks into social pariahs who would have an incredibly limited number of private businesses willing to let you carry your guns into their businesses.
I see people open carry, in holsters, in our local Walmart often. The only comment I have ever heard is "nice gun".

There are businesses that have signs on their doors saying no firearms allowed as is there right. Not many of them in Alaska. The Sears Mall is one that does not allow firearms open or concealed. At least I think they still don't. Haven't been in there for years. Come to think of it we stopped going there about the same time they posted that sign. Hummm coincidence?

My personal opinion about carrying is that I don't want anyone to know if I am carrying or not. If others want to open carry where it's legal good for them. That is as long as it is not a pink gun.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
I see people open carry, in holsters, in our local Walmart often. The only comment I have ever heard is "nice gun".

There are businesses that have signs on their doors saying no firearms allowed as is there right. Not many of them in Alaska. The Sears Mall is one that does not allow firearms open or concealed. At least I think they still don't. Haven't been in there for years. Come to think of it we stopped going there about the same time they posted that sign. Hummm coincidence?

My personal opinion about carrying is that I don't want anyone to know if I am carrying or not. If others want to open carry where it's legal good for them. That is as long as it is not a pink gun.
Nobody goes to Sears any more, gun fondlers or not.

Unfortunately for you folks, in most places of any size, the majority of people will not want people openly carrying handguns around them and their families. Frankly, you're delusional if you think most people will change on that count, particularly as parents become more and more hyper-protective of their little ones. They don't want strangers around their kids with loaded weapons.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

If it is not legal to open carry a firearm in public you will not see a law abiding responsible gun owner "brandishing a weapon". Bet you already knew that.

Really folks if you want to take some personal responsibility for your own safety read this.

States of Awareness - The Cooper Color Codes

"Ultimate victory is in avoiding the fight." - Sun Tzu

"It is an unfortunate fact that most people stumble through life, blissfully unaware of the world around them. They remain preoccupied in their own thoughts of work, personal problems, how to get a date, or other mundane issues, with no thought to their immediate environment. By not paying attention to their surroundings, they place themselves in needless jeopardy."

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Nobody goes to Sears any more, gun fondlers or not.

Unfortunately for you folks, in most places of any size, the majority of people will not want people openly carrying handguns around them and their families. Frankly, you're delusional if you think most people will change on that count, particularly as parents become more and more hyper-protective of their little ones. They don't want strangers around their kids with loaded weapons.
So you live in Alaska?

The Sears Mall is still quite popular here.

Merchants at Sears

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 PM

383 posts, read 641,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Right. So I suppose you could cook chili with a gun? Or maybe cruise the internet with a gun? Assemble a car with a gun? Do you see how stupid your post is? Are you honestly saying that firearms were not invented for the sole purpose of killing? Or severely maiming? Really? You're just being dishonest with yourself then. Pathetic.
No but I can cook Chili in my pressure cooker, and apparently make a bomb with it. Your point was?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Eventually, after seeing open carry enough, people will become desensitized, and it will be no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies