Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Personally I use these projectiles to win competitions. Most people use them to punch holes in paper. Some use them to sustain food. If people bought guns to hurt or kill someone there would be about 300 million guns who have killed people in America.
You are suggesting that people who own guns use them offensively. Why can't you believe that most of these firearms are for possible defensive scenarios? Why can't you distinguish between criminals and genuinely good folks like yourself?

Because.

LaLaLaLa.........

Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
The entire point was that in states like yours and mine, where you may openly carry a gun, how are normal people to tell which of you is a criminal and which is not? Did you miss that?

The thing about gun fondlers who make spectacles of themselves like the geniuses in this story is that they always pick overly safe venues to make this point of theirs. It's usually in front of a bunch of women or in some place where there is a healthy police presence and there is absolutely no chance of anyone being attacked. They never seem to try to make these spectacles in more dangerous areas where a normal person might actually need to brandish a gun for self-protection. This is mostly due to the fact that gun fondlers are scared of nearly everything, including their own shadows.

Gun fondlers?
Why do you liberals always project your sexual fantasies onto others? I hate to break it to you, but I've owned guns for decades and not once have I fondled any of them.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:20 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's not always obvious when someone is going to do something, who knows the mindset of an individual and who spends leisure time looking over their shoulder and checking out people carry guns. I have spent some time in Albuquerque, Santa Fee, Colorado Springs and never saw any demonstration. Also quite a bit of time in Vermont and never even knew they were an open carry state, never saw one person walking around a city with a gun.

These people demonstrating in a parking lot are not helping their cause.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
"You can be stupid, inattentive and oblivious and get away with it until your path crosses the path of a criminal. The vast majority of criminals are opportunists, who only strike when presented with a viable, easy opportunity. Remove the opportunity and you remove the risk to yourself."
This, lacking proper references (lacking any, as a matter of fact), does not refute my specific argument.

Quote:
Personally I use these projectiles to win competitions. Most people use them to punch holes in paper. Some use them to sustain food. If people bought guns to hurt or kill someone there would be about 300 million guns who have killed people in America.
But that is not why guns were invented, for competitions or shooting ranges. The food thing is just a nicer way of saying "killing animals". Don't get me wrong; I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but let's at least be honest about what's taking place. About the conceptualization of the gun. It is a weapon, first and foremost, which is why people take notice when they see someone walking around holding one for no apparent/good reason.

Quote:
You are suggesting that people who own guns use them offensively. Why can't you believe that most of these firearms are for possible defensive scenarios?
I never said anything about offense or defense, just that the point of the gun is to enable one to shoot and potentially kill either an animal or another person, should the person holding the gun consider it necessary. Even when it comes to self-defense, just how are you going to use a gun to defend yourself without either shooting or threatening to shoot another person?

I have no problem with guns or the sight of guns. But they shouldn't be drawn in public until they're needed (aka when they're about to be fired). It is where respect for your firearm meets respect for your fellow human beings head on.

Quote:
Why can't you distinguish between criminals and genuinely good folks like yourself?
I don't happen to think there are "bad" and "good" people, for starters. And I don't think it all boils down to "good" and "bad" people anyway. I could very well get shot by a "good" person who mistakes me for a threat, and so could you. The point is, without knowing for sure who has harmful intentions and who doesn't, I'm not going to just relax when/if I see someone walking around in public with a gun in their hand without the slightest clue as to why they need it in their hand at that particular moment.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
(Links on situational awareness)

None of this addresses my argument. Despite what you seem to be taking for granted concerning the information in these links and how foolproof the guidelines of situational awareness must be, sometimes people still surprise you. You do not know what a person is thinking, particularly if they have some sort of psychological disorder. "Good" and "bad" people, good intentions and harmful intentions are not always easy to identify. To presume a handful of links online will tell you all you need to know is almost as foolish as turning your back to a person carrying a weapon in hand for no apparent reason.

The fact is, by the time you become aware of your current situation, it may be too late. And regardless of how many websites leave it out, a gun drawn in public outside the shooting range or while hunting = one of those hints you should be looking out for! I'd consider it one of the most important. After all, none of those other little signs can kill you if ignored

Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

None of this addresses my argument. Despite what you seem to be taking for granted concerning the information in these links and how foolproof the guidelines of situational awareness must be, sometimes people still surprise you. You do not know what a person is thinking, particularly if they have some sort of psychological disorder. "Good" and "bad" people, good intentions and harmful intentions are not always easy to identify. To presume a handful of links online will tell you all you need to know is almost as foolish as turning your back to a person carrying a weapon in hand for no apparent reason.

The fact is, by the time you become aware of your current situation, it may be too late. And regardless of how many websites leave it out, a gun drawn in public outside the shooting range or while hunting = one of those hints you should be looking out for! I'd consider it one of the most important. After all, none of those other little signs can kill you if ignored
Ok I give up you are all knowing.....

cheezburger.com

Last edited by hogfamily; 11-23-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Ok I give up you are all knowing.....
In fact, my very argument was that none of us know everything, no matter how many web pages we read on situational awareness and the like.

That's why we can't just assume we're safe because person A looks like a "good guy".

Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Afraid Of Firearms - YouTube

Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Heh, I actually watched that whole thing. Pretty funny. As soon as I meet someone who's trying to ban guns or misjudge people simply for owning a firearm, I'll refer them to that guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies