Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
If it is not legal to open carry a firearm in public you will not see a law abiding responsible gun owner "brandishing a weapon". Bet you already knew that.

Really folks if you want to take some personal responsibility for your own safety read this.

States of Awareness - The Cooper Color Codes

"Ultimate victory is in avoiding the fight." - Sun Tzu

"It is an unfortunate fact that most people stumble through life, blissfully unaware of the world around them. They remain preoccupied in their own thoughts of work, personal problems, how to get a date, or other mundane issues, with no thought to their immediate environment. By not paying attention to their surroundings, they place themselves in needless jeopardy."
The entire point was that in states like yours and mine, where you may openly carry a gun, how are normal people to tell which of you is a criminal and which is not? Did you miss that?

The thing about gun fondlers who make spectacles of themselves like the geniuses in this story is that they always pick overly safe venues to make this point of theirs. It's usually in front of a bunch of women or in some place where there is a healthy police presence and there is absolutely no chance of anyone being attacked. They never seem to try to make these spectacles in more dangerous areas where a normal person might actually need to brandish a gun for self-protection. This is mostly due to the fact that gun fondlers are scared of nearly everything, including their own shadows.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times
Funny, many of the, as you call them gun fondlers, I know are police officers and military. Dare you to call them scared. How many firefights have you been in?

The folks in this story were staging a "counter demonstration" at the location where the Moms Demand Action group was. So that means the ladies of Moms Demand Action are also guilty as you charge as they are the ones that originally picked the spot for their demonstration.

Seems to me staying out of a place that is dangerous is smart.

Last edited by hogfamily; 11-23-2013 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
The entire point was that in states like yours and mine, where you may openly carry a gun, how are normal people to tell which of you is a criminal and which is not? Did you miss that?

Apparently you need to re-read my posts. I wrote quite clearly and provided links to assist in Situational Awareness. Did you miss that?

"You can be be stupid, inattentive, and oblivious in your work environment day in and day out and get lucky, until one day the odds catch up with you and you are injured. The same principle applies to the streets. You can be stupid, inattentive and oblivious and get away with it until your path crosses the path of a criminal. The vast majority of criminals are opportunists, who only strike when presented with a viable, easy opportunity. Remove the opportunity and you remove the risk to yourself."

Last edited by hogfamily; 11-22-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Don't know about your state but most of the folks here in Alaska are not afraid of their own shadows or firearms carried by responsible law abiding gun owners. The few that are might be from your state?

Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:

<snip>

This is mostly due to the fact that gun fondlers are scared of nearly everything, including their own shadows.
And clearly from you posting, you're scared of someone carrying a gun who may be a criminal (could you be projecting).

How you tell the bad guys is pretty simple, if someone is carrying a gun, pointing it at you (or someone else) and saying "give me your wallet, purse, whatever..." then they're a criminal, if someone is carrying a gun and not pointing it at you and minding their own business they're probably not a criminal.

Criminals carrying guns mostly will not let them be seen until they're pointing them at someone. Simple decision tree is someone pointing a gun at someone else = most likely a criminal, someone with a gun not pointing it at anyone != criminal.

Is that hard to understand?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Firearms are designed to send a projectile through the air really fast.
aaaand why would someone want to send the projectile (namely a bullet) through the air really fast?

To kill or hurt another living thing, precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
How you tell the bad guys is pretty simple, if someone is carrying a gun, pointing it at you (or someone else) and saying "give me your wallet, purse, whatever..." then they're a criminal, if someone is carrying a gun and not pointing it at you and minding their own business they're probably not a criminal.
They may not be a criminal (yet), they may simply be insane. After all, carrying a weapon around in your hand for no apparent reason is a notably odd behavior, possibly attributable to paranoia itself. So how do I know if they're good or bad, sane or crazy, marking me as their friend or "the enemy", etc.? I don't, and you don't either. Nothing wrong with staying away from these people, just in case.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 AM

57,332 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
As I had said before a criminal will generally not open carry, they are cowards, they don't want to get caught, they usually only pull a firearm just before they intend to do their evil deed.

If you stay away from areas that criminals hang out at chances are a person with a visible firearm means no harm.

As I have stated before here in Alaska, and even in No. Cal where I grew up, it is not unusual to see people walking down the street with an open carry firearm. It depends where you are.

I have also been in Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, and Utah and have seen open carry both handguns and long guns it never freaked me out. I had on many occasions struck up a conversation with the person carrying because they had a firearm that interested me.

There have been times here in Anchorage, remember Anchorage has nearly 300,000 people so it's not a small town, when I have talked to people that were carrying a rifle in a parking lot and even held the rifle they were carrying. The owner even told me to squeeze the trigger, in a safe direction of course, so that I could feel how good the trigger felt.

I guess I can understand some peoples fear of firearms depending on how and where they were raised and where they live. What is that saying? You fear what you don't understand. I guess some people will never or choose to never understand.

Situational awareness is a real thing. Read the link you might learn something.

Situational Awareness also applies when my family is on an outdoor adventure. It maybe modified somewhat but we still use it.
It's not always obvious when someone is going to do something, who knows the mindset of an individual and who spends leisure time looking over their shoulder and checking out people carry guns. I have spent some time in Albuquerque, Santa Fee, Colorado Springs and never saw any demonstration. Also quite a bit of time in Vermont and never even knew they were an open carry state, never saw one person walking around a city with a gun.

These people demonstrating in a parking lot are not helping their cause.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's not always obvious when someone is going to do something, who knows the mindset of an individual and who spends leisure time looking over their shoulder and checking out people carry guns. I have spent some time in Albuquerque, Santa Fee, Colorado Springs and never saw any demonstration. Also quite a bit of time in Vermont and never even knew they were an open carry state, never saw one person walking around a city with a gun.

These people demonstrating in a parking lot are not helping their cause.
Yup.....

"It is an unfortunate fact that most people stumble through life, blissfully unaware of the world around them. They remain preoccupied in their own thoughts of work, personal problems, how to get a date, or other mundane issues, with no thought to their immediate environment. By not paying attention to their surroundings, they place themselves in needless jeopardy."

Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
...........They may not be a criminal (yet), they may simply be insane. After all, carrying a weapon around in your hand for no apparent reason is a notably odd behavior, possibly attributable to paranoia itself. So how do I know if they're good or bad, sane or crazy, marking me as their friend or "the enemy", etc.? I don't, and you don't either. Nothing wrong with staying away from these people, just in case.
"You can be be stupid, inattentive, and oblivious in your work environment day in and day out and get lucky, until one day the odds catch up with you and you are injured. The same principle applies to the streets. You can be stupid, inattentive and oblivious and get away with it until your path crosses the path of a criminal. The vast majority of criminals are opportunists, who only strike when presented with a viable, easy opportunity. Remove the opportunity and you remove the risk to yourself."

Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
aaaand why would someone want to send the projectile (namely a bullet) through the air really fast?

To kill or hurt another living thing, precisely.
Personally I use these projectiles to win competitions. Most people use them to punch holes in paper. Some use them to sustain food. If people bought guns to hurt or kill someone there would be about 300 million guns who have killed people in America.
You are suggesting that people who own guns use them offensively. Why can't you believe that most of these firearms are for possible defensive scenarios? Why can't you distinguish between criminals and genuinely good folks like yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.