Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Enjoy the retiree plan while you can. Those are very rapidly being cancelled. One favorite trick that employers use is to raise premiums so high that they are no longer affordable. Be prepared for a change.

BTW, since you currently have this employer retiree plan why are you protesting the ACA plan so much? Is it just that there is something to protest about and so you are?
Yes, the younger workers at my company got hit with that.
I got hired in the 80's when they still had defined pension plans and paid for retiree insurance.
That ended in the 90's for new workers.

I have a high deductible PPO plan and don't pay premiums although I see what the premium is that the company pays for.

The workers at my company today are in the same boat as you folks.
I'm not goading though. I consider myself very lucky to have worked when I did.
I read the annual report my company sends me every year on my plan.
Eventually we'll all die out and that type of plan will be in the history books.

So because I'm not forced to go to Obamacare I should have no opinion ?
My taxes will be going to pay for those subsidies as will yours.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Enjoy the retiree plan while you can. Those are very rapidly being cancelled. One favorite trick that employers use is to raise premiums so high that they are no longer affordable. Be prepared for a change.

BTW, since you currently have this employer retiree plan why are you protesting the ACA plan so much? Is it just that there is something to protest about and so you are?
I have a retiree plan at present. It is being offered again next year at a 4% increase in premium. It is pretty expensive because the group is a bunch of oldies, I suppose. Some of my former co-workers who have it pay most of their pension for insurance. Others work until Medicare because they can't afford to pay the premiums. I can find a policy with better features that costs less on the exchanges (my ex employer does not pay no matter where I get it), but it comes at the expense of having to go into a narrower network. I signed up for the exchange plan, but haven't paid, so I am still weighing the options. If they cancel in the coming year, I guess it will make the decision a lot easier.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Very cute. Do enjoy seeing humor here!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Someone posted a picture of Gomer Pyle saying ,"Surprise, surprise, surprise" on facebook. Thought that was funny

Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm for Medicare for All
I hardly know anyone that wants to opt out of Medicare - do you?

Medicare for All: Home
I am too. It will not only supply affordable healthcare coverage for all, it will also ensure the solvency of Medicare.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, the younger workers at my company got hit with that.
I got hired in the 80's when they still had defined pension plans and paid for retiree insurance.
That ended in the 90's for new workers.

I have a high deductible PPO plan and don't pay premiums although I see what the premium is that the company pays for.

The workers at my company today are in the same boat as you folks.
I'm not goading though. I consider myself very lucky to have worked when I did.
I read the annual report my company sends me every year on my plan.
Eventually we'll all die out and that type of plan will be in the history books.

So because I'm not forced to go to Obamacare I should have no opinion ?
My taxes will be going to pay for those subsidies as will yours.
You should know that even for you, that insurance could end anytime at the discretion of that company.

Quote:
Paying for health insurance has become a huge financial drag for American employers. So over the past 20 years or so, the percentage of big companies offering retiree health benefits has shrunk from 66% to about 35%. And even if your employer currently says that it will cover you when you retire, we're sorry to tell you that there's no guarantee it won't break that promise 10, 20 or 30 years down the line.
Retirement: Health insurance - Ultimate Guide to Retirement

This is happening all the time.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications..._benefits.html

Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You should know that even for you, that insurance could end anytime at the discretion of that company.

Retirement: Health insurance - Ultimate Guide to Retirement

This is happening all the time.
It didn't happen this year. I already posted that I consider myself lucky.

It's almost like you're gloating that people are losing affordable plans in favor of unaffordable ones.
And that retirees are being given the shaft by their employers.

You want everyone on government health insurance ?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:30 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, people on welfare can get Medicaid so they would not participate in Obamacare nor would they buy anything on the exchanges. Also FYI, Medicaid has been around for a LONG time.

What is the difference between the Bronze plan and your current plan? Do you have a breakdown of benefits to compare the two of them? Or do you just think it is "junk" because you have to pay more for a Gold plan. Also, did you factor in the reduced cost for preventative care? Under Bronze you don't have to pay for preventative doctor visits so if you are relatively healthy you would save money and wouldn't be paying for stuff you don't use anyway.

FWIW, it seems many of your are complaining without even knowing what is in the plans or knowing how they compare to your previous plans. I actually do have issues with Obamacare, mine actually have to do with me, as a 30+ year old having access to more of a "junk" sort of plan, basically an HSA sort of account that will cover me if I hit $5-$10K. I hardly ever go to the doctor and would rather just have a catastrophic plan and I'd be willing to pay premiums (less than $50 a month hopefully) in order to spread my little bit of wealth around, but I am denied the opportunity to buy a catastrophic "junk" plan such as described above. FWIW, I have always been denied from purchasing a similar plan due to me having asthma and it being a pre-existing condition even though I do not have any perscriptions for it and have had maybe 3 asthma episodes in the past 18 years. None of which required anything but rest and a couple puffs from a rescue inhaler.

But from what I have seen the Bronze-Gold coverage is pretty good and I know that many private plans did not include a lot of things that people think that they did and most people will probably be satisfied with the new exchange choices for Bronze. When I hear the complains, especially vague complaints, and if you are someone who rarely goes to the doctor, I wonder - (1) why are you complaining when you rarely go to the doctor about coverage you are not going to lose on a comparable "Gold" type of plan and (2) what exactly is in/not in you plan that you think is in/not in the new exchange plans? Most people don't even know how to find out what is in their current health insurance or how health insurance networks are run or were run previously (like "death panels" and such as if health insurance companies already didn't have people decide whether or not to allow you to have a procedure or coverage for a certain condition). People are very ignorant about health insurance unfortunately, case in point the quote above in regards to people on welfare.

My question is why a person was forced to make a choice not of their choosing.

What happened to the mantra of "Freedom of Choice"?

What about the privacy of one's own body argument?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

It's almost like you're gloating that people are losing affordable plans in favor of unaffordable ones.

You misunderstand me. I also have a very good health insurance plan with my employer which I supposedly can keep after I retire. I still cannot forget about those who fell through the many cracks of our system and lost everything including their lives in some cases. We can do better as a country. That corporation which holds the power of your future, only cares about their bottom line. Remember that.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:

Retirees today are considered as useful and viable as yesterdays news by their former employers. Unfortunately.

ACA isn't government health insurance.

Medicare is. And was implemented because private health insurance companies refused to offer older retirees any health insurance at all. But even it works in conjunction with special policies that private health insurance do offer (with Medicare carrying the major load).

Medicare for all would work. And if it is (more or less) government health insurance, so what? People on Medicare like it and think it good insurance. My wife and I are on it and it is good. It also pays quick, has less overhead and is efficient, more so than the private insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies