Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

I recently watched a documentary which showed the circumstances that lead to 9/11. From what they were saying, it seemed like the US government was well aware of Al-Qaeda operations targeting the US. However, the US government refused to set up preventive measures to keep these events from happening. Is this true. If so, then could 9/11 have actually been prevented and thousands of innocent lives been saved by taking the appropriate measures in advance. Additionally, why did the Government fail to take action if they had information.

Additionally, I would like to know what actually happened in Afghanistan 1986 when the US fought Russia. Could anybody who was following politics carefully during the cold war period educate me regarding this issue. There are rumors that this war led to strengthening of militant groups in Afghanistan, but I am not sure if the rumors hold true.

These questions are purely for information purposes. We as residents of the United States must be kept aware of what is happening within the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I recently watched a documentary which showed the circumstances that lead to 9/11. From what they were saying, it seemed like the US government was well aware of Al-Qaeda operations targeting the US. However, the US government refused to set up preventive measures to keep these events from happening. Is this true. If so, then could 9/11 have actually been prevented and thousands of innocent lives been saved by taking the appropriate measures in advance. Additionally, why did the Government fail to take action if they had information.

Additionally, I would like to know what actually happened in Afghanistan 1986 when the US fought Russia. Could anybody who was following politics carefully during the cold war period educate me regarding this issue. There are rumors that this war led to strengthening of militant groups in Afghanistan, but I am not sure if the rumors hold true.

These questions are purely for information purposes. We as residents of the United States must be kept aware of what is happening within the government.
Google the afghan soviet war. As far as Sept 11th being prevented, I doubt it. It was a pretty unsophisticated attack.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:

https://archive.org/details/ThePower...ItsColdOutside

Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
It could have easily been prevented. Quit bombing the [MOD CUT] people in the Middle East, problem solved.
Someone kills everything I love, I'll look to get justice, if I can't get justice, I'll seek revenge.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:

Richard A. Clarke was a counter terrorism adviser to Clinton and Bush. He has testified and written extensively regarding his experience with both Clinton and Bush. He was interviewed on 60 Minutes and indicated that Bush and Cheney were not overly concerned with al quaeda, and that they were focused on Iraq from day one. He seems to feel that it might have been prevented and afterward was used to start the Iraq War. Way after the fact, in 2009, Cheney tried to blame Clarke in his typical fashion of waiting until he was out of the line of fire and taking pot shots. I think that Clarke became angry when it became clear the admin was using 9/11 as an excuse to start the war.

Ex-Aide Recounts Terror Warnings (washingtonpost.com)

CNN.com - Transcripts

Richard Clarke Makes New 9/11 Coverup Allegations - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire

Clarke's Take On Terror - CBS News

Richard A. Clarke: Never Forget: Our Invasion of Iraq Was a Breach of Trust

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Naaah they hate us for our french fries, letting women vote and blue jeans....oh and all our percieved freedoms and nothing to do with decades of our installing and propping up dictators to run their governments, blind loyality to israel, occupying their soil...

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
CNN.com - Transcript: Bin Laden determined to strike in US - Apr 10, 2004

enough said

Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Richard A. Clarke was a counter terrorism adviser to Clinton and Bush. He has testified and written extensively regarding his experience with both Clinton and Bush. He was interviewed on 60 Minutes and indicated that Bush and Cheney were not overly concerned with al quaeda, and that they were focused on Iraq from day one. He seems to feel that it might have been prevented and afterward was used to start the Iraq War. Way after the fact, in 2009, Cheney tried to blame Clarke in his typical fashion of waiting until he was out of the line of fire and taking pot shots. I think that Clarke became angry when it became clear the admin was using 9/11 as an excuse to start the war.

Ex-Aide Recounts Terror Warnings (washingtonpost.com)

CNN.com - Transcripts

Richard Clarke Makes New 9/11 Coverup Allegations - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire

Clarke's Take On Terror - CBS News

Richard A. Clarke: Never Forget: Our Invasion of Iraq Was a Breach of Trust
So, President Bush wrongfully blamed Iraq for 9/11 and waged war against them instead of heading after the real perpetrators of terror. What a blunder attacking Iraq was. Trillions of dollars were wasted and thousands of hero's who put their lives on line for the political interest of the President. These resources should have been utilized in a better way for combating the source of terror.

Are there any flaws in my understanding from these articles? If so, kindly mention them.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Yes 9/11 could have literally been prevented.

Instructors at a Minnesota flying school became suspicious about an Arab student who wanted to learn to fly a 747 in mid air, but not to learn to take off nor land. The student claimed to be from France, but would not converse in French with an instructor who happened to be fluent in French. He asked an instructor about how much fuel a 747 carried, and how much damage there would be when it crashed.

After some voice mail runaround, an instructor finally reached an FBI agent on the phone. The instructor warned the agent: "Do you realize that a 747 loaded with fuel can be used as a bomb?"

The next day, Aug 16, 2001, the FBI arrested the student, Zacarias Moussaoui, because his visa was expired. They had his laptop, but could not search it without a warrant. FBI HQ denied requests from the MN agents to seek a warrant. According to James Bovard, "FBI headquarters agents may have been leery of submitting a FISA request on Moussaoui in part because the FISA court, in a decision a few months earlier, berated the FBI for repeatedly submitting false or misleading statements in pursuit of search warrants." (Terrorism and Tyranny, James Bovard, p 52-54).

So the hard drive was not examined before 9/11. The FBI was hoist upon its own proclivity for lying. Senate Intel committee chair Arlen Specter (R, PA) later said that the hard drive had contained a 'veritable roadmap' to the 9/11 attacks. The FBI HQ agent who had stonewalled the investigation later was promoted.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
So, President Bush wrongfully blamed Iraq for 9/11 and waged war against them instead of heading after the real perpetrators of terror.
Wrong. Bush administration never blamed Iraq for 9/11 . that is claim only made by truthers.

Bush and his administration has always held that bin Laden/Al quaeda with help from Afghanistan and Pakistan were behind 9/11.

Iraq was blamed for WMD's from faulty infomration provided by Europe and Russia. That was the blunder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies